• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Since I've been Loving You - Custard Pie Video

BluePat

This song is alot more to do with feel than anything else, since I've been playing it for years (couldn't resist the pun!) and they do a very nice job of capturing the emotion and feel of the tune. Not to mention great tone!..

Kudos to the people in the shorts!

Keep on pluckin'
Pat

Zoso

Wow, what a deep, thoughtful commentary! Clothes sure do make the musician, eh??? Instead of practicing to improve, I think I'll just go out and buy a pair of leather pants and become a "poser"!

This appears to be a friendly outdoor "get-together" in 80 degree heat, NOT a wedding gig or friggin' Madison Sqaure Garden!!:troll

Time to re-bias your sarcasm meter.

Red Baron

Nice playing there Shovel and great tone, your singer is very good too, nice edge on her vocals.

rhythmator

:applaude :applaude :applaude :applaude :applaude :applaude

Bodacious performance! If it had been all Page guitar and all Plant vocals, it would have been un-interesting. Impressive, but uninteresting.

Nice to hear the real deal in guitar tone and expression!

:2zone

pepejara

Impressive, really! I loved it, the guitar part is absolutely amazing, congrats...And the singer, well, wish I had something like that in my group :applaude

Zoso, I understood your joke, who wants to look like Page when you play like this?

:2cool

fjminor

Great job on that song Jim, both guitars sounded great and singer belted it out too!!! And we cannot forget about the drummer and bass player who also did the song justice.

Jim - Quick question, where was this concert at?..I know it was a beach but where? Seems like you cant ask for a better venue..>Zeppelin..Les Pauls wailing, singer wailing, drummer and bass keeping it real,Ocean background!!..great job!!!

:dude: :headbange

Browneyes

My favorite zep tune man.. . thanks! Any good hints to nail the song like you did?

AndyC

Wow! Damn fine job by the whole band. Nailed it. One of my favorite songs of all time, and my favorite Page. I too would LOVE to know about Woody's setup to get that tone. Jim, your guitar sounded great too!

You guys put this one out there. Thanks for sharing it! :dude:

Last edited:

Shovel95

Thanks for all the compliments guys! I thought it would be interesting to hear whether you guys thought theses Historics tone sounded like the real deal.

Woody's a monster player, so he can make just about ANY guitar sound great, but beyond that I thought the rig itself was quite well suited for that song, and actually most of our material (we play lots of Zepp).

His pickups are stock, so prolly burstbuckers. The amp is an 18w Bluesbreaker clone, 2x10's. For extra gain he uses a TS-9, sometimes 2, and a delay pedal as needed. He also like to use his wah pedal from time to time as a tone control.

My guitar ('06 VOS 59) is still basically stock (for now). The amp is a 65 JTM 45. I use a Klon for boost and a Bluesdriver for solos.

Moonlight Beach is in Encinitas, CA....just north of San Diego. The city hired us for that gig. It was really cool playing towards the ocean, with everyone sitting in the sand watching. Not many barefoot folks could dance cuz that asphalt in front of the stage was hotter than f**k, and their dance moves woulda looked like hillbillies at a "hoot-n-annie" ....:biglaugh:

There were about 300 people there by the time the show ended. When the encore came it made my arm hairs stand up & I nearly shit myself....never played to that many people before!:jim

dwagar

That was just great, awesome playing, cool venue.

I think your singer leans a bit into Janis, I really like her voice.

Shovel95

Nice Jim!!! Tell Woody I said "hey!" Hope you'll let me crash your xmas party again this year! .. the last one was GREAT!! :dude:

anytime bro! we haven't set the date yet for this years party, but when we do you are certainly invited! :salude

Ok, here's some shameless "band spam" If anyone is coming to the San Diego guitar show next weekend, Custard Pie is playing just up the coast highway from the Del Mar Fairgrounds at a beach club called The Kraken, on FRIDAY nite 9/22. It would be nice to see some forum bros out there! :jim

Incidentally there is a music fest that weekend at the Del Mar fairgrounds as well, right where the guitar show is at....George Throughgood and others will be there. This should add a little "spice" to an otherwise small guitar show.

Shovel95

That was just great, awesome playing, cool venue.

I think your singer leans a bit into Janis, I really like her voice.

try this link:

Piece of My Heart

disclaimer...we recorded this in the studio and pasted it over some video. Nevermind the DRUNKEN background vocals...:salude :note ....we left them in there anyways because everytime we listen to this we get a good laugh and it brings back such good memories.....which is EXACTLY what this is all about for us. Besides being bandmates; we are all thwe best of friends as well! :dude:

SneakyK

Nice playing! I'd rather hear more of you playing than the Page solos though. :)

les strat

Thanks for all the compliments guys! I thought it would be interesting to hear whether you guys thought theses Historics tone sounded like the real deal.

Woody's a monster player, so he can make just about ANY guitar sound great, but beyond that I thought the rig itself was quite well suited for that song, and actually most of our material (we play lots of Zepp).

His pickups are stock, so prolly burstbuckers. The amp is an 18w Bluesbreaker clone, 2x10's. For extra gain he uses a TS-9, sometimes 2, and a delay pedal as needed. He also like to use his wah pedal from time to time as a tone control.

Wow! Burstbuckers?!!

People spend big bucks on boutique pickups or real PAFs to get that sound. Guess it really is in the playing. Great job ! Also my fav Zep song!

Bar

I didn't hear the base drum pedal squeaking. :bigal

Sounded great. Guitars and vocals. :yah

les strat

I didn't hear the base drum pedal squeaking. :bigal

Sounded great. Guitars and vocals. :yah

LOL. I'm glad someone else hears that. I really caught it when the first remastered box set came out in the early 90's. LZ III was kind of flat - the remasters really improved it.