• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

...roll your own...

MRTONEMAN

Hmmm .... would this technique help with the problem I'm having with the high e string catching in the little gap between fret and binding?

Yes it could if you sand it at the correct angle and you took enough off. There are better ways to correct that problem though.

MIKE20

this '09 of mine got some new inlays and a "roll" on the binding...

09inlays002.jpg

R09211006.jpg

unsleeper

Yes it could if you sand it at the correct angle and you took enough off. There are better ways to correct that problem though.

What would you suggest? It's really buggin me when ever I do any kinda downward pulloff on the e string, seems to always catch.....

tooold

Get someone who knows what they're doing with a file. If you bought the guitar new, the dealer would be the logical choice.

Don't know where you live, but winter heating might be biting you as well. Common problem when the wood dries up.

Red Rocket

What would you suggest? It's really buggin me when ever I do any kinda downward pulloff on the e string, seems to always catch.....

I had that problem, it was the same at every fret on the high E side, and took it to the dealer who sent it back to the Custom Shop. If you didn't buy it from a dealer, you need to contact a good luthier. BCR Greg is considered very good, for example.

usc96

I read this thread last night before I went to bed, and for some reason I dreamed I was taking sandpaper to the paint job on a Porsche 911. What a nightmare. :nut

Beano Geno

I rolled my own using Mike's method (over a year ago) and it improved the feel of the neck immensely! :)

Last edited:

Seoighs

I read this thread last night before I went to bed, and for some reason I dreamed I was taking sandpaper to the paint job on a Porsche 911. What a nightmare. :nut

'Reminds me of the blonde who was hired to paint a guy's porch, but couldn't spell to well, and saw the rear engined sportscar in the drive with a similar name...you can imagine the outcome

Breakfastime

My LP Classic had this disease, and it took me a while to locate the real culprit: The bridge saddles were notched off center just a bit, towards the treble end. So my high E string was just a bit closer to the edge of the fretboard than it needed to be.

I guess this is from Gibson's assembly technique of lining the strings up on the unslotted bridge saddles, and tapping them with a mallet to groove the saddles. Much faster than using a file! Just not so accurate.

Anyhow, some new, properly grooved saddles fixed the problem--you might wanna sight down the strings from the bridge end and see how things are lining up before taking a file to your neck...

(urlym@ple

Thanks for the tip Mike.

Here's my 03 356 stinger, (also has a stock 57 classic double whites) after new set of strings.

felt comfy after five pass....
f5b0cc4a.jpg

4c409768.jpg

a8984aa2.jpg

20b7ce83.jpg

11a3b51f.jpg

.....can't hardly feel the big phat neck, sweet!

...binding on customs are thicker compare to standard/historic.
sorry for the crappy cell camera.