• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

L5S

nawainwright

Need help identifying the pickups. The pots were replaced, date code is 1987. No idea what these are.

affvck.jpg

rockabilly69

Big Al

I would disagree with any characterization of these as stiff, lifeless or cold.

Last edited:

RJLII

That was already identified as an L6s in post 41, and my L5s guitars are quite resonant, play great, and are giving me killer clean and dirty recorded tones...

clean https://soundcloud.com/daniel-weldon-1/a-call-away
dirty https://soundcloud.com/daniel-weldon-1/oooh-a-little-iphone-l5s-blues-lick

Yup. Missed that. My bad.

All that said, all the L6S I've played (3 or 4) have been stiff, lifeless, and cold. The one L5S I played was the same way, and weighed a ton. It was a real looker and I wanted to like it in the worst way, but it wasn't happening. It's great yours are working out for you. Perhaps you got a couple good ones, or I just happened to play a really heavy dog.

rockabilly69

Yup. Missed that. My bad.

All that said, all the L6S I've played (3 or 4) have been stiff, lifeless, and cold. The one L5S I played was the same way, and weighed a ton. It was a real looker and I wanted to like it in the worst way, but it wasn't happening. It's great yours are working out for you. Perhaps you got a couple good ones, or I just happened to play a really heavy dog.
Well both of my guitars weigh in the real low nine pound range, and maybe that's a good part of why they sound good. And they are both set up perfectly which is why they play great! I spent alot of time tweaking them till they were exactly the way I wanted them!!! My only complaint is how close the knobs are to each other. I have played some boat anchor L5s's that didn't do it for me, and I've never played an L6s that I liked.

Grog

Bringing back an old thread............. I traded my first 1973 L-5S for one in better condition, the gold plating on this one is the best I had come accross. My first one had a nicer pattern in the maple.........

RD8vSL1l.jpg
gaDuh0pl.jpg

Jeff West

Saw Ray Sharpe play his cherryburst L5S (w/HBs) numerous times to good effect in years gone by. Very piercing tone!
ac1ps18RaySharpe.jpg

zombiwoof

The black one that Keith and Ron Wood play sounds good to me, maybe the solid color ones are a different wood, like mahogany or such.
Al

rockabilly69

Bringing back an old thread............. I traded my first 1973 L-5S for one in better condition, the gold plating on this one is the best I had come across. My first one had a nicer pattern in the maple.........

RD8vSL1l.jpg
gaDuh0pl.jpg

That does look like it's great condition.

deytookerjaabs

Bringing back an old thread............. I traded my first 1973 L-5S for one in better condition, the gold plating on this one is the best I had come accross. My first one had a nicer pattern in the maple.........

RD8vSL1l.jpg
gaDuh0pl.jpg

Beautiful!! I used to have a '73 just like it, works of art.