• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Marshall JCM 2000 dsl 401?

lefty64

Are the problems of overheating and burning out fixed on the newer production models of these? I want a Marshall, I want a preferably 1x12 combo, classic Marshall sound and I don't want alot of hassles w/ it. The two amps I have now are super reliable and I like it that way, but my new R7 is telling me it wants a Marshall. I thought I had remembered reading that the newer ones have pretty much fixed the flaws that had previously caused problems. If not, I might look for a used bluesbreaker, but those things are kind of heavy but I might put up w/ the weight as I have played one before and loved it.

skip62

don't know that this will help, but it may give you something to look for when purchasing on of these. I personally think you could find an el84 amp from a boutique builder that would be more reliable over all and sound just as good. But I've had problems with my 1999 dsl401 and haven't really played it that much since I bought. Jim Marshall signed the front of when I bought which is why I keep it.

Hey hoss33, thanks for you're site, I had to do the same thing to mine a couple of years ago and found you're site, followed the directions and I was back in business. Thanks.
I now have the problem of it playing about 1/4 power, it sounds good, but won't turn up, any suggestions before I take it in, which I just hate to do.
Thanks -Skip

hoss

skip, there could be many reasons. Preamp tube, power tube, output tranny...
Try swapping the preamp tubes one by one - including the phase inverter - with a spare tube.
Are all power tubes looking good?

skip62

hey hoss, i've replaced all the tubes with known good tubes, same thing. I looked over the board again and can't see anything. One of the channels was making noise all the time, can't remember which it's been so long. Then one day it didn't make the noise, but it wouldn't turn up either. Like I said, last time I tried it which was probably over a year ago, it sounded good, but played like it was lower powered than my Champ. Guess I'm going to have to bite the bullet and take it in. Thanks for the help, and sorry I stole the thread.

dwagar

If you're going to be looking in the used market, may I suggest a 4010? I've had mine for years, pretty straight ahead classic Marshall.

4010.jpg

dwagar

I'm not positive about the Artist, I believe this was earlier. This one does not have channel switching. 50 watt JCM800 Lead Series.
It also came in a 2-12 I believe (4104 ?).

added:
This amp is an early combo version of the 2204 head.
Mine is a Canadian model, with EL34s instead of 6550s (US)

4203 Artist:
The preamp is solid state, only the power amp uses tubes.

hoss

lefty64 said:
Is that the one AKA - The Artist?
Nope, the following JCM800 combos were made: 4010 (2204 1x12"), 4103 (2203 2x12"), 4104 (2204 2x12"), 4210 (2205 1x12"), 4211 (2210 2x12") and 4212 (2205 2x12"). There were also 50 and 100W bass heads, the models 1986 and 1992.

G12H

I'd pick up a 4010 or 4104 in the 800 Series. You could also pick up a 2104 from the 70's JMP range. That guitar needs a little more respect than the DSL 401. They are unreliable and weak sounding IMHO. I had one and it crapped out. Got another, compared it to my 2104, 4010, 4104 and other vintage Marshalls and dumped it. YMMV.

hoss

G12H said:
That guitar needs a little more respect than the DSL 401. They are weak sounding IMHO.
First they need a better speaker. Vintage 30!
And you need to crank the clean channel, if you use the lead channel don't use too much gain (not more than 3-4) else you'll get that brittle tinny distortion.

Goldtop Dude

I've had 2553(800 small box), Old NMV and MV heads as well as the old 18-20watt pa/gtr amp and loved m all!

Once I became a Marshall dealer I picked up the 401 DSL and loved it! takes some extra time to set the eq as it works very well. Gain, I use the low #s 1-2-3-sets.

Wish I still had one. I hope some day soon to pick up an 03' or later, just wish the price had not moved up so far. I still think its worth it. my .02 or(1079-haha).

GTD

Tonebender

DSl401 is junk. The tone is lousy and the build is questionable. I spent a lot of time with one while I was helping a friend amp shop back in the fall. He was between a 401 and a Blues Jr. I thought the 401 was weak tonally and lacked nuance and depth. Didnt take much to talk him into the Jr.

Goldtop Dude

Tonebender said:
DSl401 is junk. The tone is lousy and the build is questionable. I spent a lot of time with one while I was helping a friend amp shop back in the fall. He was between a 401 and a Blues Jr. I thought the 401 was weak tonally and lacked nuance and depth. Didnt take much to talk him into the Jr.

Both very dif amps. Fender/Marshall should be very dif. I like both the 401DSL and Blues Junior, however I would never compare the two. just my .02.

GTD

loran.montgomery

Tonebender said:

I beg to differ. I run my DSL401 through a Marshall 4x12 cab (internal speaker disconnected) and it sounds just fine. The overheating problem is a b*tch, but Marshall issued some resistor changes a while back that really change the way the amp sounds. I have a heat sink on the PCB, and it does the job nicely.

The stock speaker is crap, agreed. I'll also agree that it's overpriced if you buy it new. But, as an essentially entry level tube amp, it does the job just fine.

Goldtop Dude

loran.montgomery said:
I beg to differ. I run my DSL401 through a Marshall 4x12 cab (internal speaker disconnected) and it sounds just fine. The overheating problem is a b*tch, but Marshall issued some resistor changes a while back that really change the way the amp sounds. I have a heat sink on the PCB, and it does the job nicely.

The stock speaker is crap, agreed. I'll also agree that it's overpriced if you buy it new. But, as an essentially entry level tube amp, it does the job just fine.

+1

BTW, mine was a 00' Did any of the new changes effect the tone? I loved the tone of my 401 and hope to replace soon.

GTD

Tonebender

Goldtop Dude said:
Both very dif amps. Fender/Marshall should be very dif. I like both the 401DSL and Blues Junior, however I would never compare the two. just my .02.

GTD

We only did compared them as he was out amp shopping and after the best tone his budget could deliver. The 401 just didnt cut it. Very harsh and brittle. Jr. sounded smoother. All I can say is that it's what my ears told me.

Goldtop Dude

ender]We only did compared them as he was out amp shopping and after the best tone his budget could deliver. The 401 just didnt cut it. Very harsh and brittle. Jr. sounded smoother. All I can say is that it's what my ears told me.[/QUOTE]

I respect your ears, however to compare teh 401 to the B Jr------well---did he compare guitars as well? 54' Goldtop to an L5-----------??:hmm

Whats to compare? cost--no options--no If you don't like a good Marshall tone why compare. and, yes the 401 can sound very poor if one lacks the needed product know how to use it. The Blues jr is much more a plugin and go Fender tone(great amp).

If you want a plugin and go Marshall you picked the wrong model to compare.

As long as your friend is happy then all is well and I wish you both the best.

GTD

GCDEF

I found the DSL-401 to be a really bad amp, both in quality and sound. If you're looking for classic Marshall sound, you won't find it there. For the same money, look at a Mesa F series combo.

lefty64

I've had a blues jr before (2 of em actually) and when I put a greenback in the second one, it turned it into a monster, but I got rid of it just cause I'm always looking for the holy grail. I got the Fender thing covered anyways w/ my Victoria Deluxe clone which I am never dumping. I am considering letting my Headstrong Lil King go if I spring for the Marshall. I am keeping my eyes open for the right deal. I am considering several of the older Marshall combos (JCM 800 types) and still the DSL. I would love a half stack some day but right now that is just really impractical for me.