• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Marshall JCM 2000 dsl 401?

GeeJay

Well I've had a DSL401 since 2000 (1999 build) :-

Pre-amp tube heater rectifier changed under warranty after 2.5 years;
I broke and had to resolder the channel switch skt about 3 years ago;
I recently had to resolder the reverb pot connections;
Changed the power amp tubes for JJ's in 2002;
Made a matching 1x12 cab (GT12-75) a couple of years ago.
Just use the stock speaker in the combo itself.

Have played out with it solidly for just under 6 years now and just love it for tone. It's loud enough for pubs and clubs (have MV at about 7, channel gains at about 3, OD Vol at about 7).

I think that the 'doesn't have any decent tone' comments are bollocks unless you want something other than classic blues/rock sounds. It don't do modern rock sounds, but that's fine with me.

Try one out....

Goldtop Dude

GeeJay said:
Well I've had a DSL401 since 2000 (1999 build) :-

Pre-amp tube heater rectifier changed under warranty after 2.5 years;
I broke and had to resolder the channel switch skt about 3 years ago;
I recently had to resolder the reverb pot connections;
Changed the power amp tubes for JJ's in 2002;
Made a matching 1x12 cab (GT12-75) a couple of years ago.
Just use the stock speaker in the combo itself.

Have played out with it solidly for just under 6 years now and just love it for tone. It's loud enough for pubs and clubs (have MV at about 7, channel gains at about 3, OD Vol at about 7).

I think that the 'doesn't have any decent tone' comments are bollocks unless you want something other than classic blues/rock sounds. It don't do modern rock sounds, but that's fine with me.

Try one out....

+1

GTD

captaincanada

The other guitarist in the cover band I play in has a 03-04 DSL401 combo and he gets great tone every night...AC/DC, Randy Rhodes, Zeppelin are all there. No reliability issues in 3 years of regular professional use. I love his tone....he plays a variety of guitars and will adjust his tone accordingly. He also has a vintage Duper Reverb, a tricked out Blues Junoir and a vintage ampeg super jet ( a killer amp that I also own), but he always seems to play the DSL401. He got for $650 at the local GC.

Tonebender

Goldtop Dude said:
ender]We only did compared them as he was out amp shopping and after the best tone his budget could deliver. The 401 just didnt cut it. Very harsh and brittle. Jr. sounded smoother. All I can say is that it's what my ears told me.

I respect your ears, however to compare teh 401 to the B Jr------well---did he compare guitars as well? 54' Goldtop to an L5-----------??:hmm

Whats to compare? cost--no options--no If you don't like a good Marshall tone why compare. and, yes the 401 can sound very poor if one lacks the needed product know how to use it. The Blues jr is much more a plugin and go Fender tone(great amp).

If you want a plugin and go Marshall you picked the wrong model to compare.

As long as your friend is happy then all is well and I wish you both the best.

GTD[/QUOTE]

It was based on cost plain and simple. Blues Jr. had better tone. The 401 does not have great Marshall tone. I possess more the the needed "product" to use the 401, but it's junk. Good tone is good tone and the 401 ain't got it.

Goldtop Dude

Tonebender said:
I respect your ears, however to compare teh 401 to the B Jr------well---did he compare guitars as well? 54' Goldtop to an L5-----------??:hmm

Whats to compare? cost--no options--no If you don't like a good Marshall tone why compare. and, yes the 401 can sound very poor if one lacks the needed product know how to use it. The Blues jr is much more a plugin and go Fender tone(great amp).

If you want a plugin and go Marshall you picked the wrong model to compare.

As long as your friend is happy then all is well and I wish you both the best.

GTD

It was based on cost plain and simple. Blues Jr. had better tone. The 401 does not have great Marshall tone. I possess more the the needed "product" to use the 401, but it's junk. Good tone is good tone and the 401 ain't got it.[/QUOTE]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If it was "based on cost plain and simple" why compare an amp that cost's 3 times as much, 3 times the power and 3 times the features ?
:hmm There is no need for you to like the 401, however to compare like products would just make good "cents"--

GTD

GeeJay

Tonebender, we are going to have to agree to disagree. Harsh and brittle are not the first words I would use to describe a DSL401 at all.

Unreliable, cheap chipboard construction, with PCB mounted tube holders and questionable cooling maybe.

But soundwise, they can sound really good. What doesn't work is the 'classic' set everything to 10. The EL84's are a little softer than EL34's and are IMHO better suited to blues. Marshall reckon that the clean channel is one of the best they've made (recently I guess).

Plug a standard in and set everything on 5 and see what you got then. If you really don't like what you hear, then you are a Fender guy :)

Over here they're not too expensive either..

Cheers!

otstratman

I have been playing guitar since 1979. I have owned plenty of Marshall Heads (Late 1970's JMP's). I switched to a Marshall DSL 50 Watt Head and 2X12" Marshall "1936" Speaker Cabinet several years ago. I read about Jeff Beck using the Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 50 Watt Head so I decided to check one out. While not for everybody, I happen to really like my JCM 2000 Head. I found a 2007 Marshall DSL 401 1X12" Combo for cheap on eBay. It arrived in MINT condition, it came with the original footswitch, and the original amplifier cover. The footswitch was for OD1 and OD2. You need a separate footswitch for Reverb on/off. Mine just developed this subtle but noticeable "HUM" when turned on. There is no hum when the amp is on standby. I just figured it needs new vacuum tubes. I really hope that is all that I need to do to clear up this hum issue. Since I received the amp several years ago it didn't have much playing time on it. Since then I have really put some serious playing hours on it. I am very aware that there are Marshall 1X12" Combo's which are way better than my JCM 2000 DSL 401. For me the 401 does the job and it's "Made in England".