• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1974 LP Custom 20th Anniversary

MikeSlub

Administrator
They are cool geetars! :dude:

Excerpt from my article on Anniversary LPs on the Les Paul Forum Home Site:

20th Anniversary Custom (1974)
According to Tony Bacon's book, it occurred to Gibson in 1974 that it was 20 years since the first Les Paul Custom had appeared (who knows why it didn't occur to them to celebrate 20 years for the Les Paul Model in 1972?), so they celebrated by issuing a Custom with a Twentieth Anniversary inlay at the 15th fret, in place of the normal blank position marker. This was Gibson's first anniversary model, and it proved to be very successful. It is clear that this guitar established a marketing trend for other anniversary models to follow.

The 20th anniversary Les Paul Custom is typical of an early 70's Norlin model. It has a pancake (3 piece) body, gold hardware, volute, witch hat knobs, ABR-1 bridge, ebony fretboard, 3-piece mahogany neck, thin binding in the cutaway, 6 digit serial number, and "Made in USA" stamp on the back of the headstock. The 20th anniversary pictured is cherry sunburst and weighs 9 lbs., 14 oz. The 20th anniversary models were made in Kalamazoo.

There are varying accounts of how many 20th anniversary model Les Paul Customs were manufactured. According to Gruhn's Guide to Vintage Guitars, all Les Paul Customs in 1974 have Twentieth Anniversary engraved in block letters on the 15th fret inlay, but then the guide goes on to say black or white finish. Gibson shipping totals show 60 Twentieth Anniversary models produced in ebony or white in 1975, but make no reference to this model specifically in 1974, a year in which over 7,500 Les Paul Customs were manufactured. In fact, 20th anniversary model Customs have also been seen in cherry sunburst (see photo) and wine red, albeit in limited numbers. But, according to shipping records, there were also 572 Les Paul Customs made in 1974 in tobacco sunburst, and some of these has been spotted with the 20th anniversary inlay. Based on the number of 20th anniversary models documented by guitar collectors, it would seem that a very large number, perhaps the majority, of Les Paul Customs manufactured in 1974 (at least several thousand) had the 20th anniversary engraving on the 15th fret inlay.

Here's mine:
IMG_5366.JPG

IMG_5369.JPG

formula73

Unrelated to all these gorgeous 20th Anniversaries, but I've got a 75 that has those plates under the tp studs and I was just wondering what in the world they're for. They don't really seem to do anything.

1952LP

I bought my 1st 20th anniv custom, USED back in 1975, for $480 [which was a TON of $$ for me back then. it was my 1st LP, All 'cream' color.
pontiacrosenbloomandtheexiledpicofm.jpg

gigged extensively with it in my rolling stones tribute band, cracked the headstock, had it fixed, meantime found ANOTHER 20th anniv as a backup, a TWO TONE one[!] all black but with a cream top [paid $490 fot it]. Never seen another one like it [it was stamped w/ a #2]. cracked the headstock on that one too, but had it fixed as well.
Ended up jonesing for a hollowbody back in 1987, and traded the all cream one+cash for an ES335 dot reissue.
wish I still had that 1st cream one. still have the 2 tone one though...
oldstreetfighterpicinmassapequa2.jpg

That two-tone one is bad-ass! Very, very cool!

texas legs lee

That two-tone one is bad-ass! Very, very cool!
Thanks for the validation on the 2 tone, bro!
seriously, I have doubts about that one and from time to time consider doing a refin/aging on it to relive my all cream one. I always stop myself, by saying: 'keep it stock, keep it stock'...

1952LP

No way, man. Anyone could have the all-cream one. I've never seen another 2-tone one.

What is it with these and headstock breaks? I was checking one out recently that's priced right and it has a headstock repair as well.

kitchen

Interesting to see a post you did years ago come back. Also good to see in print something I always assumed. "The 20th anniversary models were made in Kalamazoo." To me one of the very cool things about my 20th is that it was made in the original factory. Teams well with my first Kalamazoo, a 1967 J-45.
Steve

texas legs lee

No way, man. Anyone could have the all-cream one. I've never seen another 2-tone one.

What is it with these and headstock breaks? I was checking one out recently that's priced right and it has a headstock repair as well.
BOTH of mine had the headstock break and repair. The B/W one was repaired back in 1979-80 and it has remained SOLID AS A ROCK! There has NEVER been ANY issues w/ it since!
Still, despite knowing how good headstock repairs can be, I still wouldn't want to buy one that had been repaired..
I don't intend to part w/ mine ever; too sentimental..

Kanga Blue

Welcome! Nice to see another 74 Custom here.
Mine doesn't have the 20th inlay either. I'm not sure how many didn't or why.
Sounds like you have the same neck as mine, I really like it. I think it's a standard 70's profile for these.
I think the fretless wonder frets turned a lot of guys off of the Customs. Mine's been refretted with Jumbos, and plays just great.
IMO these are a real 70's rock machine. They don't pretend to be a burst. They are what they are, and they do it really well.

Your '74 was likely hot at some stage.... it was common to use a razor blade to remove the black text and disguise it. Then it looked like any other 70s LP. The shell looked untouched.

I am pretty sure they all left the factory with the text.
Yes I am an expert in this ... look at my name! HaHa :dude:

Kris Ford

Your '74 was likely hot at some stage.... it was common to use a razor blade to remove the black text and disguise it. Then it looked like any other 70s LP. The shell looked untouched.

I am pretty sure they all left the factory with the text.
Yes I am an expert in this ... look at my name! HaHa :dude:

Steel wool will do it too.
I know someone that found out the hard way..:dang

But there were many '74 Customs that were NEVER anniversary models as well.

guitplayer

Planing board down for a refret will do it.
I lost some of my 20th anniv. inlay. Still there,barely.

Zeusman

Hi all. First post here.

I bought a 74 Custom 20th anniversary a few months ago. It is simply amazing!!!
I read in an article recently that they actually have a Rosewood Top. Google “Whackjob 74 Custom”
Can anyone confirm this? Oh and would someone be so kind as to tell me how I ad a photo to my profile please?
Thanks

Progrocker111

Hi all. First post here.

I bought a 74 Custom 20th anniversary a few months ago. It is simply amazing!!!
I read in an article recently that they actually have a Rosewood Top. Google “Whackjob 74 Custom”
Can anyone confirm this? Oh and would someone be so kind as to tell me how I ad a photo to my profile please?
Thanks

Only very few were with Brazilian rosewood top. We need to see :photos

And you can add your avatar in "My profile" or "Settings"...

Zeusman

Ok. Just uploaded 2 pics of my Black Beauty.

Attachments

• BB52CB53-2A38-4AB5-A047-1DC79A7D58CC.jpg
    BB52CB53-2A38-4AB5-A047-1DC79A7D58CC.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 27
  • 25C9ECF2-2117-4A05-86BD-6132EC37A626.jpg
    25C9ECF2-2117-4A05-86BD-6132EC37A626.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 34

Zeusman

Progrocker111

So how can I tell if my 74 has a rosewood top? Totally it matches the description in the article I mentioned but other than that I wouldn’t really know.

Apparently it really has rosewood top. Congrats, these are beautiful and fairly rare! :salude

El Gringo

A couple of months ago The Troglys Guitar show had a Braz topped Les Paul Custom from this era .very cool in a different way

cincyguitar

Those 70's Custom and Deluxe's are great guitar...I still love my 73 Deluxe....:dude:

Kanga Blue

Bought this guitar several years ago and had several questions after reading this forum for a while. One is that some say that all 1974 LP customs had the 20th Anniversary ingraving on the neck? Seems like I have seen postings of 1974's that didn't have it.

Steve I am pretty sure ALL had the 20th anniversary from the factory however it's actually easy for it to be worn off. Also some guys clean up their fretboard with a razorblade. If you do that on the 12th fret it will just be clean mother of pearl as if the text was never there. :hmm

Big Al

The Rosewood top Custom was a separate limited issue like the all rosewood tele. Not a standard model. Like the rosewood tele the rosewood custom only came in natural with rosewood top.