• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Gruhn appraisals, what do YOU think?

j45

Old thread ressurected, to summarize for the next generation...... Gruhn's appraisal is an "industry standard" for the insurance business. Definitely worth what you pay to get protection backed with his name credibilty. He usually appraises very generously, the internet appraisal-by-photo business he idoes is a great service for owners trying to protect their investment. These photo appraisals, however, are in no way whatsoever any indication of the guitars actual market value, actual condition, or originality.

EdKing

I believe George has worn the same sandals since 1985. In the Winter, he wears socks with them but that still doesn't help the look. Whether this affects his online appraisals, I'm not sure.

surfreak

I think the issue of appraisals, whether by Gruhn or someone else, must be put in context with the appraisal's purpose.

If you need an appraisal for insurance reasons then a reputable source like Gruhn is generally accepted and having his appraisal will help recover your loss in case your guitar is stolen or damaged beyond repair.

If instead you're selling your guitar, in my opinion an appraisal, and especially an online appraisal, is essentially worthless: let the market play for you.

garywright

I believe George has worn the same sandals since 1985. In the Winter, he wears socks with them but that still doesn't help the look. Whether this affects his online appraisals, I'm not sure.

:ha

talpa

problem is, a solid 61 or 62 Historic & Tbak MXV w/ A5 mags would get me how close % ?

damn price-to-tone ratio...what is it worth to me, as said many times.

Kevin James

problem is, a solid 61 or 62 Historic & Tbak MXV w/ A5 mags would get me how close % ?

damn price-to-tone ratio...what is it worth to me, as said many times.

Clearly you have not done your homework. IF you are seriously looking for one, there are other 61-63 LP/SG's out there without the issues for the the same and LESS money than the one you posted the link to.

Research is your friend :rolleyes:

Dire Wolf

I don't trust on-line appraisals based on pics; there's just way too much room for error. Also, I've had to point things out to Gruhn's staff that was wrong(after which they admitted it); they may know acoustics & banjos, but no way do they know as much about electrics.

talpa

Clearly you have not done your homework. IF you are seriously looking for one, there are other 61-63 LP/SG's out there without the issues for the the same and LESS money than the one you posted the link to.

Research is your friend :rolleyes:

agreed. it was the first one i looked at. thread can go back to sleep now.

Last edited:

EdKing

I've had George do only one appraisal. When I got my 'burst back in '97 I needed one for insurance. At that time he said it was worth $40K. And I thought that was very low.

zensurfer

Well, while we're at it...

A friend of mine (who I was doing the legwork for) was recently looking for an early GT (about a month or two ago) and I came across one on George's site..an early '53 with a traptail. I emailed (dealt with Keith, Walter was out at the time) inquiring about the guitar (working on the price a bit, getting some details and history, etc.) and was told that the guitar was completely original and untouched. Problem was, that even on the "less than stellar" pics that they use on their website, you could obviously see a good bit of finish missing around the neck p90 on the bass side and also under the bridge area of the trap (two large-ish, circular holes underneath - clearly, it had a stoptail on it at one time). When I emailed back to Keith about it, he still claimed complete originality. By the third or fourth email, said he would take a look at the guitar (I kinda thought they had did that already?!?!)...the results were: replaced pots, a knob or two, finish work under the bridge (refilled stoptail holes with a poorly done refin over said holes) and another smaller issue or three...

In the end, when I spoke to Walter, he did come down on the price, but, it was still a bit more than the going rate for a no-issue '52-'53 Traptail, so my friend had passed on it.

Wait till you see what my friend has coming within the next month or so (from a very reputable east coast vintage dealer)...all I can say is "yowza"!!!

garywright

I've had George do only one appraisal. When I got my 'burst back in '97 I needed one for insurance. At that time he said it was worth $40K. And I thought that was very low.

did he offer you 45k to take it off your hands :)