• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

late-1960s ES-335 headstock minutiae, etc.

buckaroo

Formerly Tweedguy
It's still a mistery why the outline has changed so much over the years - the "worn-out" jig to me is a fairy tale. Maybe they were "worn-out", then they threw them away, made new ones but not to the original specs?

This is the burning question for me too (above quote).

My own and admittedly "uninformed speculation" on an answer is compelled to consider the variance that a lot of the Gibson processes had during the golden period. For example:

1. PAF pickups had varying number of turns and varying shapes to the wind of the coils, different magnets and bobbin colors. Likely done just to keep production going with what parts were available at the moment.

2. The Les Paul top carve is said to be "all over the map" and that no two are the same. There was likely a wide range of acceptable carve tolerances to whoever assessed quality on the factory floor.

I tend to accept the idea that the variance in the ES 335 body shape was not executed by formal engineering design to implement an intentional visual change. I think it evolved out of something that had to do with making the mechanical aspects of the body shape easier to produce so the product could get out the door.
Perhaps a saw or press had to be adjusted to keep it working until a new part could be upgraded. Maybe there was a time saving element in production in favor of non-mickey mouse ears. As stated, this is all speculation on my part. I do not know the answer.

I would really love to know the true rationale for the shape changes. I wonder who is alive that is connected with Gibson who would know? Perhaps someone like Tim Shaw? Is he still alive?

This is a very interesting thread!

JimR56

The photos you posted here showing the evolution in height of the flowerpot / crown inlay...

Small point in a sea of great information in this thread, but I really think "crown" is the term to use here. The term "flowerpot" more accurately applies to the inlay on L5's and Byrdlands:

Feature-Flowerpot.jpg

Kris Ford

Kris Ford

Nevermind..:)..this blurb explains it:

"This is a great buy, and won't last long - it was factory re-necked by Gibson in 1970. It has a "no volute" one piece mahogany neck that is REALLY BEEFY... the finish on the body is fully original... it also has a few changed parts are keeping it affordable!"

Kris Ford

eghtfailngr0pauhhn8d.jpg
DPATgx3v6QmIZ6bF3

EDIT - My bad - apparently it's been renecked - thought it was just a neck reset when he wrote "renecked"

Just looking at "64" 335 on reverb - super discounted due to issues, non original parts etc.
https://reverb.com/se/item/10002396...ller-clapton-year-es-335-patent-paf-1963-1962

But surely with that Gibson logo and the dropped crown inlay that can't be a 64???

Am I wrong?

thanks
Brian in Sweden

Problem with THAT seller, is that they are parts rapers..the originals (replaced to save you money!:dang) can be found listed elsewhere by them....