• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Loose truss rod nut...should I panic now or later?

mikeyrsmith

Help! I wanted to dial a little bit more relief into my new (to me) '74 Les Paul Custom. But after about a half of a counterclockwise turn (total) of the truss rod nut, it went completely loose on the threads. I didn't unscrew it completely, but I could have, with no resistance whatsoever.

It's not stripped...it tightened back up just fine. And I was able to get the amount of relief I wanted (but no more). So what's up? Should I be worried? Or is it just that this neck, on this guitar with this rod and nut, now has as much relief in it as it ever will?

Thanks!

Mike in Baltimore

Markster

Formerly markeymark
I had a LP that had almost no relief with the truss rod completly loose. This was a easy fix:
1-loosen truss rod nut all the way.
2-loosen strings all the way.
3-slide a wood dowel (2"-2 1/2") under the strings at the 5th or 4th fret.
4-tighten strings with the dowel under them.
5-let sit for 1-2 days.
6-loosen strings, remove dowel, tune strings to pitch, and tighten truss rod to desired neck relief.

mikeyrsmith

Hey man, thanks. I'm gonna delete this thread (if I can) and move it to the Tech area.

siesingrocks

I had a LP that had almost no relief with the truss rod completly loose. This was a easy fix:
1-loosen truss rod nut all the way.
2-loosen strings all the way.
3-slide a wood dowel (2"-2 1/2") under the strings at the 5th or 4th fret.
4-tighten strings with the dowel under them.
5-let sit for 1-2 days.
6-loosen strings, remove dowel, tune strings to pitch, and tighten truss rod to desired neck relief.

Thanks a lot for the tip! I cannot express my gratitude enough!

TM1

The nut should be slightly tight on the rod. this helps transfer string vibrations through the neck.

herb

Just right now happened to me, too. Timely thread right there up top. Thanks!

How tight should the strings be with the dowel underneath? Thanks.

maxcarp709

I discovered the same problem a short time ago on my ES335.I loosened the truss rod nut and things have been great ever since.I was concerned about the nut being loose,but now with a bit of adjustment of the string height the guitar rings like a bell.Thanks for sharing this trick for putting some relief back in the neck.I don`t plan on doing anything just yet but will file this tip away.Rock On!:blbros :band

marshall1987

I have had this same problem with two Gibson ES-335s. The first one was a 1983 model, and the second one was a 2005 Custom Shop model. I got rid of both. IMO this issue constitutes a defect in materials and workmanship.

maxcarp709

I have had this same problem with two Gibson ES-335s. The first one was a 1983 model, and the second one was a 2005 Custom Shop model. I got rid of both. IMO this issue constitutes a defect in materials and workmanship.
I wish I had been around when you were selling your ES335s,maybe we could have made a deal! I don`t view this issue as a defect in materials,I view it as normal behavior for a guitar neck.Most of the the time the truss rod is adjusted to take a bow out of the neck,but it can be backed off if there is an overbow leaving no neck relief.If the wood of the neck dries out as it ages and takes too much of an overbow then tricks like we have been discussing can be put to work.There are more extreme measures that a guitar tech can use as I have seen myself.If both of your ES335s came new with an overbow that could not be adjusted out,the dealer should have dealt with that,even if it meant sending the guitar back to Gibson.I hope you are happy with whatever Gibson you are playing now.

Monroe

You could also try going up one string gauge.

Help! I wanted to dial a little bit more relief into my new (to me) '74 Les Paul Custom. But after about a half of a counterclockwise turn (total) of the truss rod nut, it went completely loose on the threads. I didn't unscrew it completely, but I could have, with no resistance whatsoever.

It's not stripped...it tightened back up just fine. And I was able to get the amount of relief I wanted (but no more). So what's up? Should I be worried? Or is it just that this neck, on this guitar with this rod and nut, now has as much relief in it as it ever will?

Thanks!

Mike in Baltimore

herb

After 3 days I took the dowel out and found I recovered the relief I needed to set up the guitar properly. Now we'll see if the neck holds or shifts back. Keeping fingers crossed. I'll report back in a week or so.

My only observation while attempting this task is to make sure you have even pressure on bass and treble sides of neck to avoid twisting the neck either way.

herb

Update: guitar kept it's relief and I fine-tuned the set-up this afternoon.

I bought the guitar used, sight unseen. I know there is always a chance something could go wrong when purchasing an instrument this way but the guitar Gods were looking down on me this time and I am grateful.

The guitar in question is a 2015 Gibson ES Les Paul in a light tea burst. It now sounds and plays great. I bought it with the intention of using it as a platform for some Seymore Duncan Seth Lover/Peter Green custom wound pickups I've had sitting in a drawer for the last ten years. Probably do that job this fall.

Adrian R

Just tried this method this past weekend. Couldn't find a 2.5" dowel, but I got a two incher. Just loosened the strings today...removed the dowel, tuned to pitch...but have yet to set the truss rod yet...gonna let it sit over night and attempt to set the proper relief tomorrow.