• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

How high is the action on YOUR Les Paul at the 12th fret?

2002standardmat

After spending the weekend playing on my new custom ashop 51' nocaster, I have tweaked the aciton on my R9 - now just below 2/32 on the top end and just above 2/32 on the bottom end - can dig in much more now and the strings really ring, liking it!

Last edited:

bluesjuke

Now that's more normal.
At 1/32" I guess you just had to look at a fret to fret the string.

2002standardmat

Yeah, at 1/32 it was too low really, there is now a VERY noticable increase in sustain and my vibrato can really sing.

After 8 months though, tkaing some getting use to - nice excuse to play though!

Remember reading so many articles relating to pro guitars, where everyone who picked them up was surprised at the higher than expected action - Koss especially.

bluesjuke

I'm always surprised at the low action when I pick up other's guitars.

stealth69

2002standardmat said:
Yeah, at 1/32 it was too low really, there is now a VERY noticable increase in sustain and my vibrato can really sing.

After 8 months though, tkaing some getting use to - nice excuse to play though!

Remember reading so many articles relating to pro guitars, where everyone who picked them up was surprised at the higher than expected action - Koss especially.

Thats interesting ,so it's probably a bit of a myth that all these guitar stars have a super low action ,then again I suppose if they did like it super slinky low they would all play Ibanez .Mine are set up low with a bit of fret buzz but compared to an Ibanez I have that my 9 year old son is leaning on the Les Pauls are high ,when I play fast on the Ibanez I slip of the strings sometimes when bending ,there is just no feel as it's so low.

roadrunner

I like straight necks with just a tiny bit of relief and high action. Usually use Ernie Ball .11's on the LP's, set up to 6/64th's on the low E and 5/64th's on the high E.

bluesjuke

coreybox said:
How are you guys measuring this?

I measure from the top of the 12th fret to the bottom of the string using a
6" steel rule. You can buy them at Home Depo, Walmart,etc..

J T

bluesjuke said:
I measure from the top of the 12th fret to the bottom of the string using a
6" steel rule. You can buy them at Home Depo, Walmart,etc..

Yes but make sure it measures starting all the way to EDGE of the ruler. Some of them start in a little bit don't get that kind.

(3/64, by the way.)