• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Johnny A Pictures

bignote

There are 4 pictures here, just use the previous and next buttons to see all four. Let me know.

Flamedtop

That is a sweet looking JA, I just love the flame in the Sunset Glow. I too am digging the amp.

That should make up for some of the humidity there on the rock!

Enjoy.

class5lp

Dougie ol'e pal that one is a dandy. I have been a 336/356 fan since they came out so naturally I was Johnny curious. All a Johnny A. is basically a 356 with pointed cut aways. I did try a Johnny and I did not find the neck shape to my liking. I asked Gibson to build me a Johnny with a 60 slim taper neck and they said NO way. Violates the contract with the A man. Anyaway my only hope would be to buy a Johhny and have the neck re-shaped. Awseome Axe.
Class5LP

vibro

Class5LP: I don't think the Johnny A is the same as a 356, having played many 336s (and owning an ES 336 and a Johnny A). The "A" is much brighter and spankier and is all-hollow - it's not a semisolid guitar like a 336 (though they both have maple tops and mahogany backs). Plus the "A" has a longer scale length neck which seriously changes its tone vs. a 336 or 356. But the bottom line is that they are both great (but different guitars.

Bignote: Love your guitar. It has a bit more red in it than mine (which I like). Same great flame (and I'm not even a flametop guy, but somehow flames look (to me) better on a Johnny A than on an LP.

Cheers and enjoy.

mojobebop

vibro said:
Class5LP: I don't think the Johnny A is the same as a 356, having played many 336s (and owning an ES 336 and a Johnny A). The "A" is much brighter and spankier and is all-hollow - it's not a semisolid guitar like a 336 (though they both have maple tops and mahogany backs). Plus the "A" has a longer scale length neck which seriously changes its tone vs. a 336 or 356. But the bottom line is that they are both great (but different guitars.

Bignote: Love your guitar. It has a bit more red in it than mine (which I like). Same great flame (and I'm not even a flametop guy, but somehow flames look (to me) better on a Johnny A than on an LP.

Cheers and enjoy.

also has a flat interior back to lessen feedback.

Bigs_Bee

Dougie ol'e pal that one is a dandy. I have been a 336/356 fan since they came out so naturally I was Johnny curious. All a Johnny A. is basically a 356 with pointed cut aways. I did try a Johnny and I did not find the neck shape to my liking. I asked Gibson to build me a Johnny with a 60 slim taper neck and they said NO way. Violates the contract with the A man. Anyaway my only hope would be to buy a Johhny and have the neck re-shaped. Awseome Axe.
Class5LP

Hi, the JA model is not a 356 with florentine cutaways.
Major differences are:

1. Fully hollow body design vs center block
2. 25 1/2" scale vs 24 3/4"
3. neck joins at 18th vs 19th
4. not only florentine vs venetian cutaways but also different lower body shape
5. re-positioned bridge pick up (aprox 1/8" further from bridge)
6. completely different dish carve