• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

IS THE CUSTOM SHOP ON CRACK ? BAD FACTORY SETUPS !

wallyguitar

As I said earlier in this thread the factory setup on my new R8 I just received was terrible. I just got it back from my tech with the following things done: New Nut (The string spacing on the factory nut was so far off it was pathetic). I replaced the nut with a West African Hard Ivory from www.guitarsaddles.com. New Tone Pros AVR-II locking Bridge, Tone Pros vintage Steel locking studs, Frets leveled, neck adjusted, intonation set. The guitar now plays like a dream! I'm very picky about my setups but it is now flawless. I expected to have to get a setup and new nut when I got it (I always replace the factory nuts right away) but needing a fret level right from the factory is bad. The setups I've seen lately on new Historics has been pretty bad. I'm just glad mine is now all fixed up and ready to rock!

El Gringo

I just got my latest custom shop offering from the Music Zoo and it came perfectly set up and plays very well and get this Stays Perfectly In Tune . Gibson Custom in spite of working with reduced staff due to the pandemic and still knocking it out of the park and maintaining a very high quality level as far as I can see and tell based on this most wonderful R9 that I have had barely 2 weeks . I am talking a flawless and very well built Les Paul with meticulous care to the smallest detail .

somebodyelseuk

Hmmm?
Guitar gets boxed up, sits in a warehouse for a few days. Gets loaded onto a truck for a few hours, then gets unloaded. Spends a night in a warehouse. Gets loaded on to a truck, spends a few hours in the truck. Gets unloaded. Spends months in a warehouse. You order one. It gets loaded onto a truck, spends a few hours on the truck, gets unloaded, spends the night in a warehouse. Gets loaded onto a truck, spend a few hours on the truck, arrives at your door...
That's if you're in the US. Anywhere elseadd in several more trucks and warehouses and at lleast one voyage in the hold of a plane.
The people guilty of sending you a substandard instrument are at the store. If you went in to the store and bought, with all those problems, you're an idiot.
A setup has nothing to do with build quality. It's like complaining about Bentleys, because it didn't arrive tuned to your favourite radio station.
PS. Guitarguitar sent me an R9 60th a couple of weeks ago. No problems.

GotTheSilver

I do also have the same experience, can you share have you used bone saddle before and whats your view on macnichol bone saddles?https://macnichol.com

You replied to a 14 year old thread! A lot has changed at Gibson since then.

Also, you included a link to a product in your very first post on this forum, which makes me wonder if you are only here to drive traffic to that website.

dblock1717

I own 3 custom shop Les Paul’s and all of them were badly set up . After bringing them to my master luthier, they are great now.

C-4

Personally, I don't care how a new or used guitar is set up upon first receiving it.
It will not be set up for me. I go about setting up every guitar I ever owned, when they first are received.

Those of you wanting a guitar to be set up for your personal preferences won't get that upon opening the box it is delivered in.

If you do, consider yourself lucky. If you cannot do a basic setup on a guitar, it is a must to learn how. Consider it like learning how to dress yourself.

dblock1717

Did you buy them new ? As new ? or used ?

all brand new. 2 local stores and 1 online from California. It’s understandable tho as im sure they don’t have much time for set ups at the Gibson Factory and then all the travelling etc . They generally have a higher action out of the box and need fret work . Im use to this by now as i bought and sold many guitars. I bring them straight to the luthier for proper set up and new strings .

El Gringo

Gibson Custom does a final QC check before they mark the card/brochure with the warranty card to be filled out by the new owner .The Gibson Custom employee(s) that do the final QC check then initial the warranty card . To my eyes it looks like the same initials for some time . I seen this in action when I visited last fall and there were at least 8 Gibson Custom employees doing this QC check that were playing the instruments thru real amps and I heard and seen them playing away . Pretty wild to have a job like that and to get paid for it as I think that is awesome .Actually all the jobs in there are awesome and would be the dream job for a guitar nerd like myself .The sweet smell of lacquer filling your lungs is out of this world awesome . They had these racks filled with guitars all with internal tags, and to my naked eye they all looked like you could pick one out and play her and rock out . I was shown this and it was kind of like a pride thing where they were showing them off to me . From unique one offs to the new natural Limited Edition Chuck Berry 350 big body , some Pelham blue Firebirds , some Les Paul's , some SG's, and I can't remember them all .They all looked immaculate to me and ready to be loved and played . I seen the stash of rosewood fingerboards , pallets of maple tops which were graded , the mahogany body and neck blanks , the body binding station where the binding is scrapped by hand , which was eye popping for me to see and there were at least 8 employees working away . I wanted to see the spray/finish station/room ,but that was a locked area . It would have been super cool if it was like a cop shop where I could be in a adjoining room looking thru glass at this process ( like looking in on an interrogation at the cop shop ) I seen the station where the hardware and pickups were being installed ,talk about a parts drawer to have ! The most fascinating thing for me was the PLEK machine , I stared and gawked at this machine from all angles and I was like a kid and could have stared at this thing for hours and brought a lunch and stared some more . A really fascinating piece of equipment designed and built in Germany as I was told and a very expensive piece of machinery and operated with a computer . Such a precise process where before the PLEK machine it was done by hand . I was given beverages and kept hydrated which was very nice as everyone was very nice that I came in contact with .

Last edited: