• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

How much does your Jimmy Page weigh?

Jabba-burst

Wow - Just received my Jimmy Page Les Paul Custom Authentic, #330, and it weighs a whopping:

8 lbs 1 oz. on the nose.

Feels light as a feather - and it really screams! How much does your's weigh?

bjm007

Got one at 8.5 and one around 9...

They both sound great

GibsonGrinder

I thought that these were supposed to weigh as close as possible(+/- a few oz.) to Jimmy's original? Both you have covered a pretty wide range.... Or was this just for the first original signed,25 limited run? :hmm Curious

bjm007

I forget what Jimmy's actual #1 and #2 weigh, but the Page Authentics run heavy by typical R9 standards. When I looked for miine there was one dealer who had 7-8 Page's and except for one at 8.5 lbs, the rest were all in the range of 9-10 lbs....

ledbird

My Jimmy Page is around 140 lbs. circa 1969 - maybe a few pounds lighter in later years due to heavy 'touring'. :wha

Jabba-burst

That'd be number 2!

Number one is now on the bay. Search Jimmy Page under items from 75strat.

Ace139

ledbird said:
My Jimmy Page is around 140 lbs. circa 1969 - maybe a few pounds lighter in later years due to heavy 'touring'. :wha

Heavy touring? Is that what they called heroin in the 70's :lol :lol

fjminor

I just pulled out a few boxes of old Guitar Magazines and came across one interesting one - Guitar World - Jan 1998 Special Collectors issue with Les Zeppelin as the main course. The Main article, 'The Complete Led Zeppelin - Light and Shade', the interviewers (Brad Tolinski/Greg Di Benedetto) goes through each album asking Jimmy's take on each album - the highlights etc. It was interesting to hear Jimmy's take on Presence - which is quoted as being Jimmy's favorite Led Zep Albums. Why? According to Jimmy, they made the album in almost impossible circumstances. Plant with a leg Cast, no acoustic songs, no keyboards, no mellowness, with a unbelievable deadline pressure to complete the record in weeks. They did it in 18 days. Page continues that it was also grueling because nobody else came up with song ideas. It was really up to me to come up with all of the riffs, which is why Presence is so guitar heavy - and our attitude at the time was summed up in the lyrics on 'Tea for One'....

Great reading. One other item mentioned. In the interviews, on each album, it mentions the Guitars used. On Presence, it just mentions the Les Paul. If you listen to 'For Your Life' either Jimmy is wringing the crap out of his Les Paul neck or he is using some type of Strat w/ whammy.!!

Jam on...
:dude :wail

Last edited:

fjminor

Jabba-burst said:
Wow - Just received my Jimmy Page Les Paul Custom Authentic, #330, and it weighs a whopping:

8 lbs 1 oz. on the nose.

JP LP #245 weighing in at 9.5 lbs
Neck P/U dialing at 7.83k ohms
Bridge P/U dialing at 7.87k ohms

Jabba-burst

Hey - I've got that article too, a really great read.

I cannot express how much I am in love with this guitar. This is the first guitar I've felt this way about in over 20 years - not since the early 80's. I am totally smitten. I am selling my R9 and Standard, to buy another while I still can. It's nuts that you can actually get a Les Paul this good. It makes me wonder if Gibson purposefully holds back the quality on the R9's to some extent, so they can keep selling us more guitars. But this one is the cat's purring meowness in ultra toneful spades. Every note has that liquid sound and feel of roundness that only tone woods produce, and only when they go into a great guitar - and you can feel it from the fretboard to the bottom bouts. It just resonates with none of the dullness of other lesters. It's clear, round, tasteful, soulfull, sustaining, and articulate - you can feel it even in your fingers.

I really have to wonder how much of a role Jimmy had in this beauty, because his other signature guitar left me cold. I thought it was a bit of a trussed up turkey.

But this is a keeper. Buy two - because Gibson hitting gold like this means they will probably discontinue it.

Mickey

juniorspecial

All Access/Backstage Pass
ledbird said:

Yeah, he's not very tall. I always imagined he was about a 12 or 13 stone bloke.

:lol

Ed A

juniorspecial said:
Yeah, he's not very tall. I always imagined he was about a 12 or 13 stone bloke.

:lol

He's not very short either. Ive met him, Im 5'10 and he was taller than me....

ledbird

Ed A said:
He's not very short either. Ive met him, Im 5'10 and he was taller than me....

I second that. He was taller than I expected him to be. I didn't check for platforms, however.

Ed A

ledbird said:
I second that. He was taller than I expected him to be. I didn't check for platforms, however.

Well to continue this trivia a little longer... I found a celebrity height site that says Page is 5'11".... I also met Plant in '82 on the set of MTV. I was with my cousin who is 6'2" and Plant was at least an inch taller than him. Granted he may have had boots on but Plant is well over 6' which would make a slouching Pagey look a bit shorter on stage I guess...

huw

fjminor said:
In the interviews, on each album, it mentions the Guitars used. On Presence, it just mentions the Les Paul. If you listen to 'For Your Life' either Jimmy is wringing the crap out of his Les Paul neck or he is using some type of Strat w/ whammy.!!

Jam on...

You have to take those GW things with a pinch of salt. Unless it's part of the interview & it's actually Jimmy saying which guitar he used, those 'sidebar features' tend to be put together from snipets of info plus some hearsay plus who-knows-what! Not what I'd call 100% reliable ;)

As far as Presence inparticular goes, there are many on the Zeppelin forums who will swear blind that the blue Strat is the only guitar on that album :ahem

With Page it was always whatever guitar was right at the time, so there are nearly always many guitarson each album (LZ1 being the obvious exeption)

rschultz018

8 lbs 1 oz. on the nose.

Jabba-burst. I see you had the JPP-330. Do you still have it??
I’d like to talk to you about it if you could email me.
Thanks in advance for your cooperation.

jimmyace2006

Jabba-burst. I see you had the JPP-330. Do you still have it??
I’d like to talk to you about it if you could email me.
Thanks in advance for your cooperation.

Way to go! Resurrected a 14 year old thread!!!!