• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Palomino V32 Review (Yes Virginia, it's a CRATE)

JohannaVision

So Crunchyriff, would you say the JJ's improved the sound over the stock GT's? I have some JJ EL 84's I could throw in there. I love the stock sound, but am always open to improving my tone if it's out there. You're right about the G12H30 with this amp. I use one of those and a vintage 30, and they are a match made in heaven. I almost bought the V32 Palomino, but went w/ the head for cab versatility. Can you run an extension cab with the Palominos? If I remember correctly, you can. I bet a V32 w/ a G12H30 and a 1x12 extension cab w/ a vintage 30 would be awesome.

Crunchyriff

JohannaVision said:
So Crunchyriff, would you say the JJ's improved the sound over the stock GT's?

IN my case, a very affirmative YES. Now I will say that 2 years ago I bought some JJ 12AX7's that didn't impress me in the least- at least not in my Marshall JMP, or my Traynor combo...remember, that was two years ago. These JJ EL84's are pretty nice. Of course, I'm expecting the Tungsrams I have to blow the JJ out of the water, (they ARE NOS tubes!)...we'll see what I find/hear.

I have some JJ EL 84's I could throw in there. I love the stock sound, but am always open to improving my tone if it's out there.

IF the JJ's you have are more than a few years old in production, spring for a NEW, current-production set. Unless you have a VERY limited budget it's a pretty thrifty purchase. I was talking to Bob at Eurotubes about 10 days ago, and he was telling me the JJ factory is constantly improving their products. Those folks are very receptive to input, and are always looking for ways to make the product better. I believe it's safe to say the JJ EL84's made today are vastly better than the ones made 3-4 years ago. I won't blow smoke and tell you that hearing the JJ's will sprinkle magic dust on your playing and give you an instant record deal; but IMHO, they sound better than the GT's I replaced.

You're right about the G12H30 with this amp. I use one of those and a vintage 30, and they are a match made in heaven. I almost bought the V32 Palomino, but went w/ the head for cab versatility. Can you run an extension cab with the Palominos? If I remember correctly, you can. I bet a V32 w/ a G12H30 and a 1x12 extension cab w/ a vintage 30 would be awesome.

Well there is a problem here. First of all, the Palomino is a single output amp- just one output jack (and the internal speaker plugs into it.) So to run an extension cab, you have to unplug the internal speaker- an unfortunate choice in design, IMHO.

Secondly, the amp wants an 8ohm load, period. So, here again, we have a problem. If I COULD use the internal AND an extension cab, I'd be jacked due to the impedance mismatch. I know it's safe to run an increased load up on step vs running a lesser load than what it's set for; but just for grins I plugged in my '78 4x12 Checkerboard Cab w/G12-60's, and I wasn't impressed. It's my feeling that this ClassA circuit sounds best with open-back cabs, or perhaps ported ones. It would also be interesting to find out if there are mulitple taps on the V32's transformer so an impedance selector could be added.

I have two 2x12's full of 70's Fane Crescendos (in open back cabs) that I'm gonna give a try next week.

Last edited:

JohannaVision

It's a shame that it wasn't made so that you could run a "Y" splitter and engage the combo's speaker along with the extension cab. I love doing that with amps. I used to do this with a Reverend Hellhound combo with a 2x12 extension cab. My JJ EL 84's are a bit older and to be gigging with my V30, I have opted to call Bob at Eurotubes and get a new set. Thanks for the insight there about the evolution of the current stocks of their tubes. I haven't talked to Bob in a while, but I bought JJ's from him a few times in the past, and he's a great resource and very helpful. He knows amps very well, and many times have tested many specific amp/tube combinations to help you make your selection. This thread has me tempted to throw in some EH 12AX-7's and JJ EL 84's. The honeymoon with this amp continues.

lockingnut

I tried running my V16 into a couple different cabs, matched the ohms and neither cab came close to how good it's own cab sounded like. They say they did allot of homework to voice the amp right and I believe them. Right now I wouldn't use an external cab if they did have the ext jack.

EdMan57

I've had similar experiences with my V15 [with G12H-30 installed].Through my friend's Vintage 30 loaded Marshall 1960A cabinet,I found the higher gain tones to be much more flubby and unrefined compared with the combo's internal Celestion...though the tone was still pretty sweet on the cleaner stuff.I feel that the Celestion G12H-30 is THE speaker for the V15/V16...at least for my taste and ears.

Ed

codyfarmer

I just finished this thread and it was a real eye opener. I was hoping I wasn't the only one who thought that amp was terrific!!

My guitar center has a few but they're ragged out and I'd like to get a new one to break in, but not available.

Has anyone tried the v33 that Crate has on their webpage? They do not have them at my GC and didn't now if there was a huge difference or if there was even one at all.

Thanks!

G

guitarfish

If anyone wants to see pics inside & out of the V3112 (the black version of the Palomino V32), I did a review HERE.

Emerald

I had one of the original Crate Vintage Club 15 watters with reverb, replaced the Crate speaker with a Celestion G12H-30 Anniversary speaker and it was awesome. Sold it to a recording studio in Philly where it resides to this day.
A few years ago I bought a black tolexed Vintage Club 30 watt, and replaced the speaker the same way. i think I need to re-tube it, but it does a great job. I'm sure the newer V series carries on the great tradition. These are great Class A amps for the money.
yngwie308

wicked1

I have a Palomino V32 and like it a lot.I swapped out the stock groove tubes with JJ's.(It uses EL 84's,some people do not like these).The clean channel is one of the best out their.The crunch channel is as good as most out their(it has great hard rock crunch,NOT nu metal scooped crunch)especially after the amp is nice and toasty hot.If your looking for the best of both worlds in one amp,try this one out.The crate website shows Bo Diddley,Don Herron from Bob Dylan,Billy Gibbons(ZZ Top),and others using the V series crate amps.

I bought my V32 with JJ's and Tung Sols; at low volume I liked it. Loud was another story. The cleans sounded like a modeling amp; never broke up right when you cranked it. It didn't sound "real". I was selling the amp and decided to swap the tubes with the stock GT's. What a difference! The amp now sounds killer, NOT like a modeling amp when it had the JJ's. It squawks and howls like it should and does it great. Amazing. I'm keeping it now and would recommend this to anyone. It's a real find. :wail

I know it's popular to do the JJ tube swap but it didn't work at all for me. I sold my Vintage Club 30 to buy this one and now I love it as much, maybe more. :applaude

G

guitarfish

According to Doug from Doug's Tubes, the Grove Tubes in this amp are really EI tubes. In any case, that's what I have in mine, and I can't imagine this amp sounding any better than it does.