• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Are these Shaw pickups?

The Shifter

These are in my 1984 LP Studio. Are these Shaw PAFs?
ts1.jpg

ts2.jpg

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
They look like shaw to me.

Aug. 83 and Mar. 84.

Willie Mctell

The Shifter said:
Looks like no. 372 and 373 are the sequential serial #s.

no, it was their old way of representing the bridge and neck pups. one has a slightly hotter wind. check'em and see. I think 372 is neck, 373 is bridge. ;)

Willie Mctell

those are shaws too. also the ones with the little black and chrome script PAF stickers are the replacement shaws if you ever see those.

Wilko

What I can tell o the code is that the third digit represents whether it's a neck or a bridge pickup.

The first two are some sort of batch number?
The first year were 17 then we see 37, these are 40. hmmm

The Shifter

Willie Mctell said:
those are shaws too. also the ones with the little black and chrome script PAF stickers are the replacement shaws if you ever see those.
Are you talking about the stickers that went on the pickup rings?

Wilko

The guitars loaded with them had stickers. Mine were gold foil with black knock-out printing for the letters to be gold. they were on the rings of a custom sjop guitar that had gold hardware.

When sold seperate from guitars, I'd heard that the stickers were put on the back of the pickups. I've never seen one with such a sticker placement.

Crunchyriff

Willie Mctell said:
also the ones with the little black and chrome script PAF stickers are the replacement shaws if you ever see those.

These particular Shaw's came stock in my '82 Korina V reissue, AND in my 85 LPCust.

Last edited:

junction51

The Shifter said:
That's what I thought at first, but then I saw these and wondered.
50_1.JPG

I have a pair stamped like these except they say "402 881" and "403 881" They came out of my 81 custom silverburst. I have never found a clear answer as to whether or not they are shaw's.

Does anyone know for sure? It seems like most of the "identified" shaw's I have seen on this forum start with the 137 and 138, but I have also read on the forum that not all of the Shaw's started with those numbers.

Wilko

The ink stamps supposedly started with the Shaws.

You could pull the covers and see what you have. If the T-Top is gone, and they have the small square holes like Pafs, they are Shaws.

Willie Mctell

Wilko said:
The ink stamps supposedly started with the Shaws.

You could pull the covers and see what you have. If the T-Top is gone, and they have the small square holes like Pafs, they are Shaws.

and shiny orange wire with rough cast magnets that are thicker than a T-tops magnet.

my sets came from a 335, a V, and a heritage 80, plus one spare that was a replacement.FWIW

..and they are always under 8k.

sliding-tom

I had posted about the pups in my '82 ES 335 and asked if these were Shaws but haven't got a definite answer, so here it is again:

3358_p43927.jpeg

Is that a Shaw PAF?

Willie Mctell

looks like a shaw. Shaws came in the 335 reissues so I's say yes. To know whithout a doubt you can take the cover off to look at the coils. Also the magnet will be a larger rough sandcast magnet. It's also commom for them to have shorter legs. DCr should stay pretty low I've never seen any outside of 7.0k -7.7k either.

sliding-tom

Thanks Willie, I don't want to take off the covers, it's just not THAT important to me - just curious. Can't find my notes right now, but both pups read way under 8 KO. And: I like their tone!

junction51 said:
I have a pair stamped like these except they say "402 881" and "403 881" They came out of my 81 custom silverburst. I have never found a clear answer as to whether or not they are shaw's.

Does anyone know for sure? It seems like most of the "identified" shaw's I have seen on this forum start with the 137 and 138, but I have also read on the forum that not all of the Shaw's started with those numbers.
Yes yours are Shaws..There is a huge thread on Shaws.
Mine have all been about 7.4 -7.5 K irregardless of the 372 / 373 stamps.

DonP

I have pickups that look just like those, with ink stamps (year = 1983), white plastic spacers, etc, but they read 8.0K and 8.5K. What gives?