• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Locked out of my guitar case....help!!

DANELECTRO

Locks are certainly not a theft deterent. What do you guys use them for anyway? Keep the kids out? Roommates?

sidekick

Ad_02Std said:
And only me and Darth hold the key -

IMG_0737.jpg

Adam
I'm not too sure if I'd be inclined to trust him....... :hmm ;)

phil47uk

I Can't really see the point of locking a guitar case anyway.
If someone is going to take it at a gig, they are going to look far less conspicuous walking out with a guitar case than they are with a Les Paul stuck under their arm.
If someone wants to take it, then they'll take it..Case..The bloody lot.
I know, I had a 62 Strat walk out on me at a gig back in the 60's.
Nowadays my gear doesn't leave my sight but on the one occasion I did leave it to go and have a meal, I had the husband of a female sax player I know sitting right near it and keeping his eye on things.. His name is 'Bear' and is a red beret Commando in the British army. He's about 6'7'' and weighs in about 300lb.... No one fucks with 'Bear'.

I'm sorry, but there is only one answer to security as far as guitars go.....You simply don't leave them unattended... Full stop!

Phil.

Last edited:

LRon

I set my combo for the day my guitar was stamped, 412, and looking down from the top the numbers are 523 which is my birthday

Ad_02Std

phil47uk said:
I Can't really see the point of locking a guitar case anyway.
If someone is going to take it at a gig, they are going to look far less conspicuous walking out with a guitar case than they are with a Les Paul stuck under their arm.
If someone wants to take it, then they'll take it..Case..The bloody lot.
I know, I had a 62 Strat walk out on me at a gig back in the 60's.
Nowadays my gear doesn't leave my sight but on the one occasion I did leave it to go and have a meal, I had the husband of a female sax player I know sitting right near it and keeping his eye on things.. His name is 'Bear' and is a red beret Commando in the British army. He's about 6'7'' and weighs in about 300lb.... No one fucks with 'Bear'.

I'm sorry, but there is only one answer to security as far as guitars go.....You simply don't leave them unattended... Full stop!

Phil.

I agree with you. Locks are not a deterent, mine is purely cosmetic (hey, it's made out of brass!). Best thing to do - just don't leave it unattended. There are very few places you can't go with a guitar case.

EC1000

I've never set my combo locks but sometimes worry that one day I'll go to open it and it will be locked.

porterburst

I remember years ago I purchased a custom shop LP for CG, but left it there in the store to pick up later because I had other stops to make and didn't want to leave it in the car. When I came back they had locked the guitar case but didn't know the combination. I knew 17 year old sale guy got it open in less than 5 min.

muzikman7

A true story, I bought a les paul special off e-bay when it arrived the lock was open because he forgot the combination. there were stickers on the case by the type of stickers classic rock etc. I guessed 007 and it opened the lock. my case rules throw away the keys and don,t set your combinatoin lock. Tony

Last edited:

Rob68

Rafael said:
This is gonna sound weird, but...

In January of this year, I finally bought my First Lester... my beloved 1989 full of dings plaintop standard.

And I basically forgot to ask the combination. I was so trilled that I went home... and had to go through the 1000 combination ordeal.

basically, I found it in less than 1/2 hour....

now, for the weird...

THE COMBINATION WAS MY BIRTHDAY!!!!!! IS THAT A HIT OR NOT???

Rafael

I believe the word you're lookin for is....."Karma". :worship

No overtones or insinuations, out of chos comes order.

Rob

jneil

I came to this thread yesterday with the same problem, I had never given much thought to the combination lock on my recently-acquired '68 CA, and managed to bump the dials when I was opening it. After cursing whoever it was that thought that a guitar case needed a lock (if someone steals it they're going to take it case and all and the lock isn't gonna even slow them down) I figured I'd come here and see if there was some simple trick (heck, for all I knew the combination was the same for all of them).

After reading this thread I had resigned myself to slugging through all the possible numbers. I had done about a hundred when I got exasperated, and for some reason I just spun the numbers to a combination that I would have chosen for myself, and bingo, it opened!

I figure that's karma for sure, or at least a sign that the Custom was Meant To Be Mine!