• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Different wood cuts?

granwadoo

What does cross cut mean? I am familiar with quarter sawn, riff sawn, and flat sawn. I saw a posting for a beautiful cherry 58R with P90's and a cross cut mahogony top. The pic was not good enough to see the grain. Does anyone know what cross cut means???

Thanks
Gran

GlassSnuff

"Cross cut" is a term used to reference a saw designed to cut across the grain. They have extra teeth to help clear the saw dust. They are used to fell trees, as opposed to a "rip" saw, which is used to cut the timber into lumber by cutting with the grain. I don't think they're talking about a two-man hand saw, though.

I think they meant "quarter sawn". :)

(My grandfather owns stands of timber, my uncle owns a saw mill, my brother builds furniture. Pity, pine isn't a tone wood.)

1959burst

Mesa Master
(My grandfather owns stands of timber, my uncle owns a saw mill, my brother builds furniture. Pity, pine isn't a tone wood.)
believe it or not the prototype of the fender broadcaster had it's body made from pine!

Peong1991

I am pretty sure that this terminology is involved in special wood cutting machines as hybrid table with saw, there are many examples on TheCozyHolic.com. Recently, a special saw design has been produced embedded in a hybrid table for wood chisel, which automatically makes such wood cuts. This kind of innovation is very convenient.<style type="text/css"><!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}--></style>