• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

"Best" Tech for upgrades

Curt Basner

At some point in the near future, I'd like to upgrade one of my LPs with a number of things... New pickups, an RS Guitarworks full electronics upgrade, Pigtail studs and tailpiece, and then a good setup. I know that most of you can do these kinds of things yourselves, but I'm just not that confident in my abilities. I've had one of my guitars thus far PLEK'd by Rodney at Frettek in LA, and he did a great job, but not sure if he would be the guy to do an overall upgrade.

Does anyone have an opinion on where to go? I live in Las Vegas, so a California tech would be best, LA area preferably, but I am willing to send the work anywhere to get the best job done. I think it would be great to be able to send the work to Dan Erlewine, but I've searched on the forum for any direct contact info for him, and have been unable to fnd any.

Any thoughts would be appreciated; thanks in advance.

NHMorgan

All Access/Backstage Pass
I would try all the electronic stuff yourself, and probably the pigtail stuff too. There is alot of room for error with the electronics, as long as you put something over your guitar to protect against stray solder. If you are not putting in new bushings with the studs and TP, that will be the easiest job you ever do. Then I would just take it to get it pleked.

DannyBoy

For a chuckle, give Ed Roman a call in Vegas.

"They're after me Lucky Charms!!!"--Ed Roman

sinner

Hi Curt--you know Rodney does some of that or has an excellent electronic tech (Angelo) handle the stuff he doesn't do. I brought my guitars (LPs, 335) to Rodney for the PLEKing and a few other cosmentic things, but he had Angelo pick up for the RS kits and new pickup installations--did a first rate job of it. There is also Don Butler (a member here, TM1 I think) who may be able to help you.

jrgtr42

IMO, things like that, setups, parts replacement, etc. any competant tech can do. I wouldn't bother sending stuff to Dan unless it was a vintage piece needing some really touchy or structural work. Even newer stuff needing (for instance) a headstock repair I'd take locally.
Not to take anything from Dan, he's a fantatic luthier, but Stuff like that is fairly simple to do.

Curt Basner

Hey Sinner...I may yet look into Rodney and his partner.

Danny...having lived in Vegas for over 5 years, and never having set foot in Roman's place, after reading the pompous BS on his miserable f**king website, that's damn funny...with his attitude toward Gibsons, I wouldn't bring one of mine within miles of the place....

jr...you're probably right...time will tell...I just need to get up the cajones.

bluespckr

I'm not a tech, but the guys are right, and most of what you want to do is, well, do-able for the average, not-too-technical person (like me?). If I can wire up pickups, chgange hardware, shield the innerds of geeter, anyone can. And by getting in there yourself, you'll become more familiar with the inner workings of your instrument.

Having said that, if you are still uncertain about tackling the job yourself, any guitar tech -- like the guy you mentioned -- should be able to handle the job. Wiring and soldering pickups and swapping out parts are routine jobs for these guys. I'd give the guy a shot.

Dan does some great work, but like it was mentioned, I wouldn't really trouble him with something this minor. He is completely remanufacturing a headstock on my broken and battered 30-year-old Les Paul. I received an email from him last week saying it was on his bench and should be "home" by Christmas. It has been with him for four months, so he is v-e-r-y busy (and I was not in a hurry).

What I might suggest is to go to a book store, or check on-line, and buy or order How to Make Your Electric Guitar Play Great!: The Electric Guitar Owner's Manual and Guitar Player Repair Guide: How to Set-Up, Maintain, and Repair Electrics and Acoustics , both written by Dan. I found mine in my local Barnes & Noble. You will find these books very helpful.

sinner

Putting covers on pick-ups (tight) may be a job for someone with experience rather than first-timers (imo), and I am sure glad I had Rodney's pal Angelo install the RS kit in my new Historic 335--man that is a job for a pro and/or someone with a lot of patience!!!