• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Ballpark price for 1978 Les Paul Standard

Sixstring

Hi there,

I have a lead on a '78 tobacco sunburst Les Paul Standard roadwarrior.
It is all original, structurally sound with no breaks / repairs. The finish is really beat and has been sanded off on the neck .
What do you think would be a good price ? :hmm
Was originally looking for a custom when I ran across this one.

Here are some pics:

LesPaulbody.jpg

LesPaultotal.jpg

LesPaulback.jpg

Last edited:

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
Looks like about a grand to me.

WHat are those pickups? They look nickle. The edges/corners are too straight for 78 Gibson.

zorglub!

Burst Detective!
A grand in Germany??? You have to be VERY lucky to get something like that...

SykesFan

Prices vary so much don't they ?
I just paid £950 ish for my '78 LP Deluxe, I paid £1199 for my '79 LP Custom. The Deluxe came from eBay but I saw one at a dealers for £899 yet another on eBay for over a grand and all of the same year.
LP Customs always seem to be over a grand but some one the other evening had one on eBay with an opening price of £2200, just silly if you ask me !

V S

Just saw a 70s Les Paul with mini humbuckers and clear, checked finish for 1600€ in a store here in Germany. Price is too high, though, IMO.

Sixstring

Thanks a lot for your answers. I don't know about the pickups, but I will check on these when I get the guitar, maybe they are Shaw's or something.
Price will be around € 1000 which is about $ 1200.
Maybe I can knock another 100 off or so (if the pckups are not original :biglaugh: ).
But I will pull the trigger on that one. :salude

V S

What i forgot to say that I would have needed a fretjob on this one. It has that kind of "fretless wonder ", almost non exiting frets

Sixstring

Picked the guitar up yesterday.
Surprisingly it is quite lightweight for a Norlin (about 9.2 pounds).
I gave it a good cleaning, oiled the fretboard and put new strings on.
That thing sounds fantastic. Sustain forever and a very nice woody sound.
While cleaning up the guitar I took out the pickups...
Are these SD Antiquities ?
I really like the sound.
Would you prefer the original '78 Gibson pickups (whatever was in there at this time) or those ?

pu_both.jpg

pu_neck.jpg

pu_bridge.jpg

Thin_Lizzy

Congrats dude! Nice score!
I don't know about the pups, but I know Tobacco is my alltime favorite colour! :dude :dude

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
Being singed, I'd say those are Antiquities. They are definitely Seymours.

Black58

Dean DeLeo from Stone Temple Pilots has a thing for '78 Les Paul Standards. Pulls some great tones out of his. Try stock. If not, go to where your heart is. Congrats! Play on!

moonweasel

Hey, that isnt a real 50's pickup ring on the bridge is it? That would be the score of a lifetime for you 'Sixstring'. Worth many thousands.

Sixstring

Hey moonweasel,

are you kidding me ? I really don't know how to tell if the pickup ring is a 50's or not.
Could somebody fill me in ?

Thanks