• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Who would you recommend to touch-up goldtop paint?

Brian H

I know it's extremely difficult to match goldtop paint very well for touch-ups, but what experts would you guys recommend?

DrRobert

Les Paul Forum Member
Don't do it! If it's an old guitar, it'll hurt the value and do very little to protect the guitar (the sweat and skin oils that soak in thru dings should do that well). Just leave it alone and play the heck out of it!

Brian H

I'll fess up, it's not a vintage guitar! But guys around here have had some wicked conversions and such done, so I thought this the best place to ask.

I saw Mirabella's work on here once and that looked stunning, but was hoping to get a couple other recommendations.

thanks!

ashbass

last month I went around the major players asking about a touch up on my goldtop historic. To a person, everyone said that it was pretty much impossible to do with invisible results. If you can't live with the ding/dent/whatever you'll need to get the entire top redone. $300-$800 depending on who you ask.

Brian H

Thanks, guys.

The reranch stuff is way more copper-toned than on my Historic. Too bad!

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Brian H said:
Thanks, guys.

The reranch stuff is way more copper-toned than on my Historic. Too bad!

Maybe you should try the Historic area. :ahem ;)

Brian H

TW59 said:
Maybe you should try the Historic area. :ahem ;)

I said above why I decided to post in this forum. I really was looking for a good goldtop repairman and many here have had experience with this.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Brian H said:
I said above why I decided to post in this forum. I really was looking for a good goldtop repairman and many here have had experience with this.

But, you are trying to match the color on a Historic, rather than a true vintage Les Paul GT. I think the colors are subtly different.
I agree with Mike Lennon as a good guy to talk to about this. ;)

Victory Pete

I had a ding on my Goldtop Les Paul 12 string. I spent a year doing research and trying experiments. I feel it is impossible to do an invisible touch up. I stripped it and spayed it a honey color. Doing drop fills is a normal part of my maintenance on my Gibson fleet.

Attachments

• Les Paul Complete.jpg
    Les Paul Complete.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 33

Doc Sausage

I had a ding on my Goldtop Les Paul 12 string. I spent a year doing research and trying experiments. I feel it is impossible to do an invisible touch up. I stripped it and spayed it a honey color. Doing drop fills is a normal part of my maintenance on my Gibson fleet.

I agree. I had a, er, less than vintage GT, that had a small but deep ding. I matched the color very close, clear coated it, sanded and polished. And it was perfect....from ONE angle. From every other angle it took on weird, 3D depth anomalies that seemed to wink at you when you moved the guitar, as if to say, ‘here’s looking at ya, kid.’