• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

About a Show That I was hired for...

Shocktop99

Hello, I was just recently hired for a Gig at a local business event (main lobby of a Hospital), the details are that me(Guitar) and a piano player have to play for two hours. I've never been hired nor have i played a show where I have to play "Background" music, has anyone experienced this kind of Gig before? if so, what kind of tips or details could you give.
P.S. This is my first paid show!!
Thank you Folks!!

renderit

I played on elevators for years before Muzak.

Tip: Women with large purses are trouble.

Sounds like there might be good tips if it is a social kinda thang.

thejaf

Yes, it wasn't as fun as playing loud and heavy classic rock on an elevated stage, but can be rewarding in it's own kind of relaxing way. If you're playing with a piano player, make sure to coordinate ahead of time and more than likely piano player will take center stage and you'll accompany.

Shocktop99

Yes, it wasn't as fun as playing loud and heavy classic rock on an elevated stage, but can be rewarding in it's own kind of relaxing way. If you're playing with a piano player, make sure to coordinate ahead of time and more than likely piano player will take center stage and you'll accompany.

Great! I'm looking forward to the gig, it'll be a nice change of pace from playing house shows(and the fact I'm finally getting paid for playing!) I appreciate the tips!! I'll be glad to get the edge on this!!

mr t

Great! I'm looking forward to the gig, it'll be a nice change of pace from playing house shows(and the fact I'm finally getting paid for playing!) I appreciate the tips!! I'll be glad to get the edge on this!!

really try to enjoy it, being paid to play is one of the best feelings in the world

metropolis

I've actually done a few things like this, both instrumentally and with a singer. My advice is have fun and sneak in as many jokes as you can - TV themes, 80s classics, etc. Doing those in the middle of otherwise serious songs is my favourite, especially when they fit perfectly.

Just go in expecting to be thoroughly ignored and mostly unheard and you'll be fine.

Shocktop99

I've actually done a few things like this, both instrumentally and with a singer. My advice is have fun and sneak in as many jokes as you can - TV themes, 80s classics, etc. Doing those in the middle of otherwise serious songs is my favourite, especially when they fit perfectly.

Just go in expecting to be thoroughly ignored and mostly unheard and you'll be fine.

I can think of the jokes now :laugh2: its a short set (Two Hours) but it'll be a nice welcome! I Appreciate all the advise and the more to come!! :salude

thejaf

Yes, forgot that part. I did a solo acoustic thing years ago at a ribbon cutting event for a new library, but I vastly overestimated the length of rehearsed material and had to just jam by myself for the last hour-long set. Ironically I got many compliments on the last set and asked the name of the tunes, where they could be found, etc. :laugh2::laugh2:

Shocktop99

Well, I thought I'd do a follow up to the show, it went great! To start I took the advice of allowing my seasoned piano player take the lead and I accompany (Besides on Autumn Leaves I kinda took lead) and it worked out!! Also a nurse that works in the ER had his dads guitars when he passed away, and he allowed me to use the Guitar his dad learned on (Es-175) Here is a photo along side my LPC, thank you for all the tips it really helped and we were offered another gig!! Thank you guys!!

IMG-20190428-183444-779.jpg

Triplet

That LPC looks funky from that angle. The cut out look unusually pointy...