• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Billy Gibbons - Les Paul Standard used for Slide for 50th Anniversary Tour?

CatManDoo88

Hi all, I took my father-in-law to see ZZ Top last month at the Michigan Lottery Amphitheatre for a surprise 65th birthday present. I knew that Pearly has been retired from touring and all of the recent YouTube videos I've seen of Gibbons lately have been him playing his custom Telecaster, SG, or custom Goldtop with decals. I was quite pleasantly surprised (as someone too young to have seen the Rev play Pearly live in person) to see the Rev pull out a burst Les Paul Standard to play slide for a searing seven minute rendition of Just Got Paid Today. I'm afraid I didn't grab any good photos, but he seems to be making regular use of it this tour, based on the following video from Berlin a couple months back:

The colour looks like an iced tea fade, the top is pretty plain, poker chip is missing but no tan line, and the bridge double white is uncovered. Any word on this guitar? I assume its not a real vintage Burst, but a custom shop job of some kind? Anyone got any details?

djcmusician

might be a Bolin - who knows

Hi all, I took my father-in-law to see ZZ Top last month at the Michigan Lottery Amphitheatre for a surprise 65th birthday present. I knew that Pearly has been retired from touring and all of the recent YouTube videos I've seen of Gibbons lately have been him playing his custom Telecaster, SG, or custom Goldtop with decals. I was quite pleasantly surprised (as someone too young to have seen the Rev play Pearly live in person) to see the Rev pull out a burst Les Paul Standard to play slide for a searing seven minute rendition of Just Got Paid Today. I'm afraid I didn't grab any good photos, but he seems to be making regular use of it this tour, based on the following video from Berlin a couple months back:

The colour looks like an iced tea fade, the top is pretty plain, poker chip is missing but no tan line, and the bridge double white is uncovered. Any word on this guitar? I assume its not a real vintage Burst, but a custom shop job of some kind? Anyone got any details?

mistersnappy

Quite possibly the Bolin-reworked Gibson Pearly repro on this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcZMAzlIKDo&t=21s

salfish1

It's definitely a Bolin, it has GIbbons on the headstock instead of Gibson.

GastonG

This is one of his 2009 Gibson Pearly Gates that Bolin hollowed out and redone the headstock to read Gibbons Lucky Mojo.
It is the very same guitar he was playing in 2010-2011

For the 50th Anniversary tour, he removed the pickguard and the toggle switch plastic ring on it.

Gaston
:salude