• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Best Randy tribute guitar

Dreadnaught

Ok, it’s been almost a year and my chances of finding a RR VOS are slim to none. I saw one and it was gone before I could make an offer. Anyway. I’m looking at other options. A real 1974 just like Randy’s. Tell me about the other years and the quality of the builds. Some of the white Customs range from 1973- 1986. Would an 81 be just as good as a 76? We’re any of the earlier reissues any good? Did any of the reissues improve on any problems from earlier models?

Any opinions appreciated.
Thanks

The Shifter

I'm pretty sure an '81 would be about the same or possibly worse than a '76. I think it was 1982 that all of the undesirable Norlin features were repealed. Meaning, they got rid of the volute, went back to mahogany necks, and the top carves got better(i.e. NOT FLAT).

I had a white 1982 LPC and it was a stellar guitar.

Progrocker111

Real old 74 would be the best one, still with mahogany neck and early 70s specs. 76 and later ones have short tenon, maple neck and other different features, which results in different tone and feeling.