• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Vintage P90 Specs

au_rick

Hi All,
I'm planning to get a boutique P90 wound for a single pickup guitar I have and am chasing that classic 50's snarl.
What type of magnet should I specify (Alnico II, III, V) and should I get potted / unpotted ?

Thanks for any advice,...
Rick.

WytLytnyn

Just bought an unpotted stock output Lindy Fralin set for an LPS that had P-100's. I am going to shield the body cavity with copper to (hopefully) deal with RF noise.

I'll pop them in next week as soon as I get a new wiring harness built with Vitamin Q's and 525k pots.

To your question, I'm a big fan of A2's. I've got an production Pearly Gates (A2) and a Sentient/Pegasus set (A5) in different guitars. I seem to always go back to the PG guitar toward the end of my playing sessions.....

Last edited:

mdubya

A5 will give you plenty of snarl with the most drive and output. Plenty raunchy with lots of overtones due to output, but sweeten up, too, with rolling the volume back.

I really like my A2's and they just plain never sound bad, ever.

Current A3 may give you the most authentic vintage tone.

I have humbuckers with A3, but not P-90's. The humbuckers give some of the best recorded tones, much like the A2 P-90's.

What sounds best may not always be the most fun to play, so there is that to consider.

This I my personal experience. JMHO.

WytLytnyn

A5 will give you plenty of snarl with the most drive and output. Plenty raunchy with lots of overtones due to output, but sweeten up, too, with rolling the volume back.

I really like my A2's and they just plain never sound bad, ever.

Current A3 may give you the most authentic vintage tone.

I have humbuckers with A3, but not P-90's. The humbuckers give some of the best recorded tones, much like the A2 P-90's.

What sounds best may not always be the most fun to play, so there is that to consider.

This I my personal experience. JMHO.
Agree about all of the above.