• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Cleanind Old Nitro Finish

P.A.F

i'm not the guy who cleans guitars every sunday, actually i NEVER clean them. But i have a 1943 Gibson LG-2 that i think has never been cleaned since it left the factory, now i'd like to clean it, what would you recommend me?
I've never tried those guitar polish, and i don't like them so much... i don't want to make the guitar shiny, just clean...
i know some use naphta did anybody try?

Last edited:

P.A.F

does anybody use naphta to remove deep grime? i have to remove 80 years old dirt, i think just a polish would be light

marshall1987

Personally I wouldn't suggest using naphtha on an old lacquer guitar finish. If you are a professional guitar finish tech, okay go ahead and try it.

IMO there's too great a risk of damage if you use this chemical improperly.

Virtuoso Premium Cleaner is not a polish. They do sell a different product that is a polish.

FROM THE VIRTUOSO WEBSITE:

"Virtuoso Premium Cleaner was created to cut through years of build up whether it is wax, sweat, spilled beverages or cigarette smoke.

If your musical instrument is already clean, we suggest you use Virtuoso Premium Polish. In addition to offering your instrument a high luster, fingerprint resistant finish, the Virtuoso Premium Polish also provides a very high degree of UV protection.

Both the Virtuoso Premium Polish and Virtuoso Premium Cleaner use a chemical reaction to break down residues. We do not use abrasives, which can harm the original finish of your instruments.

P.A.F

It seems like virtuoso Polish can't be found in Europe. It looks like it's the thing I need. I need to find a valid alternative, any other suggestion?

Hamerfan

In fact i use both. On a very grimey guitar i give it a wash with naphta and then a treat with both Virtuoso bottles. Never had ill effects with naphta, even not on a shellac finished guitar on the 20ies. But safety first: give it a good rub on a non obvious spot like the lower bout.
I ordered my Virtuoso direct from US.

sglp63

I used D'Addario Restore Detailer on my '54 Strat with good results.