• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

How to track down a long gone Les

Maxmc

This is my first post here and the reason why I initially joined up. I used to own a 1960 Les Paul Standard, Serial no: 0 0304. I live in Melbourne Australia and bought it here in the mid eighties. Owned it about ten years, got offered a handsome price for it and so sold it. I wold love to know where it is now. Obviously if this was just any run of the mill Les Paul this quest would probably be hopeless, indeed laughable. But this guitar was one of the highly sort after legends. Why did I sell it ? At the time, the amount that I was offered was twice what I'd had the guitar valued at. The guitar was in desperate need of a possible refret and I couldn't find anyone in this country who was willing to take on the job given the guitar's value. It was sold about 4 years later for nearly four times what i received for it and I think it left the country. I have a few pictures of it and an old video of me playing it. It looked very similar to the Duane Allman guitar. I know it was actually bought brand new in Australia and I was the third owner. Although it had a 1960 serial number it was 1959 in looks and specifications. If anyone here has any clues or suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Show us the photos. :)

Sounds similar to this one, another 1960 from Australia.

main.php

Maxmc

That is a beautiful instrument ! Mine had a fairly plain top and all black bobbins but pretty close to this in coloring.
I'd like to upload some pictures but I'm not able to do so. I don't have a URL location. If there was a way to upload straight from my computer that would be good.

Maxmc

Still stumped about how to post photos from my computer. I don't have permission to post attachments. Why is this ? Do I need this function to upload my pictures?

Maxmc

I have no idea. I bought the guitar from a friend's brother who lived in Warnambool. He bought it from a local farmer who bought it new, I was led to believe, from a Melbourne retailer. I sold it thru (dare I mention him) Jackson's Rare Guitars in Sydney to a bloke in Perth. He sold it some 4 years later for just on $70K. After this, it disappears possibly to a bank vault in Japan. I don't really know. If the Hoodoos were making big bucks in the late nineties Mr Sheppard may have been the buyer. Again, I don't Know. If you're reading this Brad, fill me in. As I say a picture would paint a thousand words.

CDaughtry

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner and Moderator
If you'll email the photos to me at CDaughtry at aol dot com, I'll post them for you.:jim

Maxmc

Just emailed the photos. Many thanks! I've checked the register, it's not listed.

Maxmc

There it is ! Thanks again for posting them for me. The serial number is not very clear, I only had a pretty crappy camera at the time. If only we had smart phones back then. The serial number is 0 0304. If anyone can help me track it down it would be much appreciated. I must admit deep down I do regret parting with it.

Maxmc

I went hunting through some old files and found the original receipt from when I first bought the guitar. No date on it ! I think it would have been around 1983 and I paid the princely sum of $A1500 for it. Also found another receipt for the heritage 80 Les Paul that I bought to replace it which puts its sale at Oct 1993. A long time ago but given its value now I'm sure its not been thrown under a bed somewhere.

Stoj

Nice looking burst Maxmc, I have no idea where this burst is today. It isn't the one Brad Shepherd owned his had a bigsby.

Good luck I hope you track her down :salude

RAG7890

Max if you think this Burst went to Japan, may I suggest you send Nobu an Email at: -

Hayashi Nobuyuki [theguitarlounge@me.com]

Nobu has a long personal history with many Bursts that have come in to & out of Japan. He's a great guy & straight up.......& might be able to help you.

Feel free to mention my name. Good luck with your hunt. :)

Cheers, Rudi

Maxmc

Thanks for the potential lead Rudi, it's a start.
Regards, Max

Maxmc

Where this could all get very sticky is the fact that the guitar went through Jackson's Rare Guitars in Sydney. For those that don't know, Jackson's went down in a shower of shit a couple of years ago. A lot of people who had their guitars on consignment at the shop never saw them again or their money.
I don't think my instrument was caught up in this as I sold it a good 20 years before this happened but I'd feel a bit funny talking to Steve Jackson now.

Big Al

Odd tuner placement. Musta been a friday guitar. Could be the shadow in the photo makes it look wider than it is. Maybe a friday photo?

Aqualung

How the hell did I miss these Down Under bursts? Actually a moot point because out of my price range........but still, it's nice to dream.

Good luck Maxmc in your search to ascertain it's current whereabouts.