• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Basswood Les Pauls?

Daniel93

Hey guys.
I saw ads for Tokai Les Pauls in a local music store. Only thing that worries me is that it's basswood body, not mahogany and maple neck. It has a good price. Round 300$. I know that they usually make superstrats from basswood with some hot pickups, but i plan to put some PAFs in this. What do you think? Can you get that classic LP sound or would Epiphone be a better choice?

Mike9

Basswood is an excellent tone wood. Does it have a maple cap? If so it ought to sound great.

sonar

Makes sense.

Basswood often trends a little darker than Alder on Strats. Maybe a little more snap on a Gibby?

Then again, the Maple cap is the main influence on a LP. Might not be that much of a difference.

musekatcher

Any wood can sound good of course. Basswood makes a really responsive guitar. It might make for a really interesting guitar and sound, with or without a maple cap.

ZZ Not

I had a LP Studio many years ago that had a basswood body and had as traditional a Les Paul sound as any other I owned. It was nice and light as well.