• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Your Best Concert Ever?

Steve Craw

Formerly Lefty Elmo
In response to the current "Your First Concert ?" thread, I thought it might be fun to ask which concert was your favorite(s). Probably the most fun I ever had at a concert would have been seeing The Brian Setzer Orchestra live. The music was fun, infectious and Brian and the band seemed to be having a blast! There are other bands that I like more, but for sheer fun, nothing ever came close. Which were your favorites and why?

jbzoso2002

Page & Plant mid 90's, Kashmir with an orchestra was unbelieveable!!!

Never got to see Zep.

Jimmy

Thundermtn

Page & Plant mid 90's, Kashmir with an orchestra was unbelieveable!!!

Never got to see Zep.

Jimmy

I saw this one too in St. Louis, effn awesome! Page had lost a little but was 95%+ what he ever was, so still incredible.

As far as the most fun I ever had at one, hands down it was Hank Williams III in a little club in Springfield MO in I think '07. It was a 3 hour party. The crowd was ultra wild and super diverse. There were guys and gals in boots and cowboy hats standing next to guys with 3' long hair wearing a Slayer shirt. I'd never been to a concert where people were western swing dancing with metal heads hanging out watching them dance to Johnny Cash's, Cocaine Blues. Nearly everyone there was hammered but dancing and having a good time. The first set was outlaw country fused with rockabilly, the second set was a metal/thrash set where they guys just set aside their fiddles, stand up bass and pedal steel and switched to pointy stuff through Marshall's. It was the rowdiest, beers flying-est, dancing-est party show I ever saw.

dwagar

The most memorable concert for me would be Cream in '68 in Edmonton. We were in awe.

A close second would be Deep Purple, can't remember the year. They were new, Kentucky Woman just hit the charts, they played their asses off. Opened for Vanilla Fudge. It must've been hard for Fudge to try to follow that monster of a band.

Zentar

Saw a great rock show in 78. Rod Stewart with Ron Wood and Jesse Ed Davis on guitar. ive never been able to find any footage anywhere of Jesse Ed Davis playing with Stewart. He ODd in Venice Beach a couple years after I saw the show. They rocked the house down. The paper the next day gave the show a crummy review. I don't think I've ever bothered to read a review since then.

Mars Hall

I judge shows on how inspirational they are. The show that left me wanting to be a better musician was late last year, Marty Stuart and His Fabulous Superlatives. Those guys can and did play their asses off that night in Chicago.

J.D.

Too many to pick just one, and I have been to countless dozens of good and great shows, but here are some of the more memorable (at least from the musical performance standpoint):

• Jimmy Page with the Black Crowes
  • Jimmy Page with Robert Plant
  • Motorhead
  • Paul McCartney
  • Black Crowes (in the '90s)
  • Soundgarden (in the '90s)
  • Pearl Jam (in the '90s)
  • G 'n R (in the '90s)
  • Bob Dylan (in the '90s)
  • Oasis (in the '90s)
  • KISS (reunion featuring Ace Frehley)
  • Foo Fighters
  • Buckcherry

ourmaninthenorth

Tough question...

Been so many...

The one I wish I could go back and do all over again would be John Fogerty in Manchester a few years ago, dancing with my Missus to all the old Credence songs was...well...summat else.

Some great memories here Fellas, keep 'em coming. :salude

J.D.

Yes saw a couple really good Fogerty shows :salude

Cliff Gress

Too long to list, we lived in fertile times! Musicianshipwise, King Crimson with Adrian Belew at the helm was something else. Roxy Music too. As far as being close to an intense rocking band was me standing just feet away from Ruyter Suys. I dare say we shared DNA!

Steve Craw

Formerly Lefty Elmo
Saw Fogerty about six years ago. He was tremendous! I literally learned to play guitar using the Creedence Clearwater Revival Complete Songbook. Saw The Black Crowes three times. The first was when they came back from their first breakup. They were the opening act for Tom Petty, opened their show with "Soul Singing". Incredible!

ampdan

So many great bands in their prime.....But the one that felt like I was witnessing something new and special, was Van Halen in a barn converted into a bar called Hooker Lake Inn. 1978 their first tour.

toxpert

too many to pick from...
memorable concerts have included:

- Allman Brothers in Dallas (a month before Duane died)...i still hear this one in my head
- countless Freddie King shows
- every James Taylor show
- every Paul McCartney show
- Emmy Lou Harris when Albert Lee was in her Hot Band
- Jethro Tull...when Yes was the opening act !!
- every Nitty Gritty Dirt Band show
- every show by/including Bugs Henderson
- every Grateful Dead show that I don't remember being there..but I was :rolleyes

tonar8353

I am with most that there are really to many to pick one; but I will say there are a few which I felt like it was privilege to have seen that particular show and they would be as follows.
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Chet Atkins
Stephan Grappelli
Tommy Emmanuel

marshall1987

Keeping things manageable ...............:dude:

1972; Baltimore Civic Center; Led Zeppelin

1972; Kennedy Center; Deep Purple

1973; Baltimore Civic Center; Led Zeppelin

Strings Jr.

Aside from Elvis, The Eagles, and many other greats, there were a couple
of favorites that are fitting to share here. Both were mid 80's and both were courtesy of Gibson.
The first was Foreigner at Murphy Center, Murfreesboro, TN. "Someone" needed guitar parts,
and since this was my hometown, I volunteered to be the delivery boy. Me and a buddy got
all access passes, which included back stage. Hung out with them for a long time. The bass player
took me out ON THE STAGE and showed me his rig before they started (I'm a bass player).
Mick Jones gave me a handful of his personal picks with his name on them. Then we got to
watch a great show.
The other was the Allman Brothers at the Starwood Amphitheatre in Nashville.
I had just built a new LP Standard for Danny Toler. This time all access passes plus VIP seating.
Hung out with Danny and his brother Frankie (the drummer) then got to meet Gregg.
I double-checked the setup on the guitar I built, then they handed me an old Les Paul. They told me it
belonged to Duane. That's a moment I'll never forget! Danny played Duane's guitar the entire night
except one song. Just long enough to do some promo pics. Thanks Gibson :hank

mingus

It's too hard to narrow down as I too have attended a lot of incredible performances.

One stands out as having the best sound quality I've ever heard at an outdoor venue: Steely Dan in the mid '90s at Irvine Meadows amphitheater. Later, I learned that they toured with the audio engineer they used in the studio and he was using great vintage mics, mic preamps and outboard recording gear. I think they recorded the shows and used some of those for a live album. It was amazing to hear a larger band with incredible clarity of each instrument and voice. No boomy bass, deaf-ass sound guy bullshit at that show!