• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Just bought a Used 2016 1959 ES335

mikoo69

Found a "Used" 2016 1959 ES-335 TDN in VOS Vintage Natural for an amazing price from The Music Zoo. The guitar looks like its been hardly played...less wear than most new floor models.

Anyway, as it's used and doesn't come with a factory warranty, I am going to bring it to my local tech to inspect in and make sure everything is in working order. Anything specific I should ask him to check out?

Very exited to now pair this with my 2016 Custom Historic 1959 Les Paul Standard VOS Iced!

mikoo69

should he check the truss rod as well? or anything else that requires removing/opening up the guitar?

renderit

Check the truss rod to be sure it works for sure. Check pots for smooth and non scratchy operation. Neck, nut, string spacing and bridge adjustment all within usable range are the only others you need to be sure about. Tuner operation as well I suppose. Congrats!

mdubya

I have a 2018, which was listed as a 2016. It is a magnificent guitar.

What I didn't like was the VOS treatment which seems to be a return to the VOS goop. That stuff cleans up, but I have had VOS guitars without the goop which is my preference.

Also, the high E saddle on mine is cut too deep which requires the treble side of the bridge to be raised and the tailpiece needs to be raised, too, to clear the back of the bridge. A new saddle will cure that, but it took me some time pondering it to figure out why the treble side needed to be raised.

Other than glaring, obvious flaws, I cannot imagine much that you would really need to be on the lookout for. The guitar should be spectacular. Mine is so subtle that it is a constant revelation to play.

Enjoy yours. :photos

bObdOOt.jpg

Last edited:

renderit

Yes, mdubya reminds me. I keep a bunch of saddles around for the bridges. I get many (from the factory) cut too deep. Rather than scrap the guitar I replace the cheap parts. Same for nuts, but I often replace them anyway because I have preferences there.