• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

How many out there have a LP Standard Raw Power?

blueswoman

I have one. I have 4 LPs (2 standards and 2 Classics), but this has become my favorite. Its just got an amazing sound. The way I tweaked the pickups, it has a very Allman Bros. type tone. I wonder if the lack of finish makes a difference in the sound?

Its got a little more mids, so I roll the mids on the amp down a point. Its very smooth sounding and has a woody, "hollow" tone on the neck. It will just improve over time.

weatherboy

blueswoman said:
I have one. I have 4 LPs (2 standards and 2 Classics), but this has become my favorite. Its just got an amazing sound. The way I tweaked the pickups, it has a very Allman Bros. type tone. I wonder if the lack of finish makes a difference in the sound?

Its got a little more mids, so I roll the mids on the amp down a point. Its very smooth sounding and has a woody, "hollow" tone on the neck. It will just improve over time.

I also changed out my 1980 pups with 57 classics. I thought the original ones were a little harsh sounding. I still have em if anybody wants em.

daddyo

I've beel looking at an LP Raw Power at my local guitar store. It's on special for $1,995 Canadian which is a very good price.

mofis64

I have an unused LP Raw Power, really nice. Someone tell me that only 500 of this were made... does anybody know if that is a true info ? Thanks

lure555

Swirling Vortex of Sound, Classic Club
I still wonder if it's a tribute to The Stooges...;)

TomTaco

mofis64 said:
I have an unused LP Raw Power, really nice. Someone tell me that only 500 of this were made... does anybody know if that is a true info ? Thanks

They were made for a couple years, I don't know if 500 is the magic number or not, but they weren't a numbered limited edition or anything. however many they made during the years they were in production is the number and nothing special. I had one, sold it not too long ago in order to get a wine red standard. The raw power was something special that's for sure. If I see a good deal on another one I'll pick it up.

papersoul

So they don't make the raw power anymore? What's the scoop on them?? I think I do remember seeing them in stores a few years back. :)

mofis64

I think that the LP Raw Power in the close future perhaps could be a really collectible (and expensive) model. Now is only a very nice and sometimes rare model.

TomTaco

papersoul said:
So they don't make the raw power anymore? What's the scoop on them?? I think I do remember seeing them in stores a few years back. :)

They are a regular Les Paul standard, but with a natural satin finish. They sound a little more open IMO and look fantastic too. 2001 was the last year they were made, not sure when they started, 1999 I think.

http://www.gibson.com/products/gibson/LesPaul/Standardrp.html

LPrawpower.jpg

Lars

Les Paul Forum Member
weatherboy said:
I also changed out my 1980 pups with 57 classics. I thought the original ones were a little harsh sounding. I still have em if anybody wants em.

I want them!Send me an email dood!

Last edited:

jubelo

I am glad to know that other players find the Rawpower to be a nice insturment. I have one and I prefer it over my 01 R7. Too bad that Gibson quit making these(Rawpower) ,as I have a friend who is trying to find one to buy , but it is very hard to locate one that is for sale.Rawpower is an apt name for these guitars as they have a wonderful open mid-toney raw L.P. sound , with really nice welly esp. thru a Marshall JCM 800.

TT100

lure555 said:
I still wonder if it's a tribute to The Stooges...;)

Ditto.

Actually.... ;)

"Hey, Chief, we ran outta paint! Whatta we do?"

"Screw paint, keep rowing ya lubber!"

"But, snivel, plain guitars won't sell!"

" 'at's marketing's worry ya bench barnacle!"

"Sob, my hands are so Raw, I wish I had some Power..." " ! "

The rest is history.

Nice LP btw.

TT

Thundersteel

I have one, and I'm thinking about selling it. It looks and sounds OK, but I'm not happy with the way the fret ends were filed near the neck binding. They went so far as to file into the side dots--sloppy workmanship, IMHO. In addition, whoever did the final buffing discolored the tip of the cutaway binding--almost looks like 2 different pieces.

All my other guitars are flawless--I wonder why they didn't get this one right.

I bought it from Musician's Enemy--maybe they only sell the not-so-good guitars?

papersoul

Concerning quality.....that is a big reason i bought a new LP Standard. Amazing quality.

weatherboy

Mine's a 1980 model with 57 classics in it! I'll never need another HB Les Paul! It's perfect!
Although, another color might be nice, but the wife would never buy that..she needs the money for new shoes!!