• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Hendrix Les Paul...what's the story?

Ken

I know a lot of folks have seen this picture around, but does anyone know the story around it? Love those '50's Customs!!
Anyone know the whereabouts or have any additional info? I think I've seen another picture where it had a control plate added and some additional knobs!?
:wtf What song do you think he's playing? ;)

hendrix.gif

Last edited:

1959burst

Mesa Master
ok if memory serves me right hendrix and larry lee?(rhythm guitarist for the band of gypsies WOODSTOCK) found it in a pawnshop and bought it so they both could use it. about 10 years ago it was put up for sale by larry but didn't meet his reserve price.....................don't know what happened to that 56 les paul custom afterwards...........hope this helps.;)

Last edited:

RonT

In also heard that it was the only guitar that would always end up in it's case in one piece at the end of the night. I wouldn't storch a LP either.

Ken

59burst, thanks for the info. :dude
So how long did he play very long? I'm by no means a Hendrix historian, but the only "Les Paul" I've ever seen Hendrix actually play was a SG/LP on a taping of the Dick Cavot show.

I wouldn't storch that one either. ;)

Ken

Last edited:

1959burst

Mesa Master
i figured he played it about 6 months before it ended up in larry's permanant possession. after all it was bought in 1969 and hendrix died in 1970.

pauldeluxe

All Access/Backstage Pass
Jimi used the black Custom (and then he eventually started using a white SG Custom instead around late 68/early 69) for blues numbers, specifically Red House.

There's video of him using the SG Custom, but I've never seen any actual video of him on the LP Custom. Most of the pictures you see of him playing that black LP Custom are from the Fillmore East shows in 1968.

I believe Larry Lee played that same black LP Custom at the Woodstock show.

Last edited:

1959burst

Mesa Master
oops i stand corrected, i guess he had it a year or so.............

Heritage 80

Bet he's playing Red House. I know he used the Vee for RH a lot because he liked the Gibson sound for that particular tune.

pauldeluxe

All Access/Backstage Pass
Yep, that was the chronology on the ax he used for playing Red House live: black LP Custom, white SG Custom, and then the Flying V.

There's a great bootleg video floating around of The Experience in Sweden in January, 1969. He plays the SG on Red House and it's fantastic, even though he is a little mellow for that show. He even does the intro for Red House in the wrong key, and then suddenly shifts up a fret when the band comes in.

The best part of the show is when he says, "Tonight we're just gonna jam because we haven't played together in weeks. So we're just gonna mess around." And then, off-mike, he says, "You wouldn't know the difference anyway."

Karaoke Karl

Here's another pic of him and Paul

13929212.jpg

if you can't see the picture make sure you have www. in your address above

frey

Les Paul Forum Member
linda mcartney

Thanks go to linda for those shots she took them !

fish

I thought I had read somewhere that Larry Lee had that custom back in the mid 60's, when he and Hendrix were friends, while they were living either in Memphis or Nashville. I believe this was around the time Hendrix was playing the chitlin circuit with Little Richard and Curtis Knight.

Last edited:
B

Bolero

they released a DVD a year or so ago, had some previously unseen footage of them playing live. I think it was all black&white....but it looked real good. can't remember what it's called though?

he was playing a V I think in the clip I saw

anybody have it? what's the scoop?

thx

Last edited:

garywright

Hey pauldeluxe...

I love the " You wouldn't know the difference anyway" line from Hendrix...that's hilarious !
Gary

Last edited:

jono

LPF Recording Artist
Re: Hey pauldeluxe...

gentlegiant said:
I love the " You wouldn't no the difference anyway" line from Hendrix...that's hilarious !
Gary

I can't decide if that's a dig at the band or the audience......!

Cogswell

The Duke of Dumbassery
To me, that's actually a sad indication of how he must have felt at that stage in his career. I've read many times that he was frustrated that people were more interested in the flash than the content of his music. Then again, he may have been joking. What do I know?

garywright

When I read Hendrix's above comment it struck me as being very funny... he did have a quick funny wit and I'm sure that comment was directed at the audience ...

waylon

It was directed at the audience. He had grown tired of playing the 'hits' and also of doing all the flashy things-playing with teeth, burning/smashing guitar etc. He was taking a big turn in his music right before he died.