Vintage Guitar Registry
LPF Homesite

Go Back   Les Paul Forum > . > Sunburst Pub
Register FAQ Mark Forums Read Calendar Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-11, 08:32 PM   #1
dfs69
Les Paul Forum Member

Jimmy Page Les Paul

Can anyone direct me to some more info on JPLP's? I just heard from an original owner looking to sale a '97 JPLP. The serial # is 929983xx. With the little bit of research I have been able to do, that serial # is a '98 made in nashville in ?dec?

(below is from the gibson site)
Jimmy Page Les Paul (3 versions)
-1st 25 aged models were hand numbered 1-25 and signed by Jimmy Page, no other number is on this model.
-Limited run of 150 aged models are numbered in sequence as "PAGE xxx"
-Unlimited run of Custom Authentic models are numbered in sequence as "JPP xxx"
Note: The discontinued Gibson USA Jimmy Page Signature Les Paul has a standard 8 digit serial number.

So, this serial # seems to be from the discontinued USA version (anyone know when this series started and ended?). Is there certain markings I need to look for? IE stamp in pickup cavities? serial # ranges?..ect?! Any ideas on value (I realize its all dependant on condition, but he says its hardly played and only a couple minor nicks/usual wear for a hardly/bearly played guitar)?

Thank you for any and all help.

'69 Vibrolux Reverb, '69 Twin Reverb
dfs69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-11, 11:36 AM   #2
dfs69
Les Paul Forum Member

Re: Jimmy Page Les Paul

over 12 hours and no ideas or responses?! someone has to be able to help a lil?!

Old 04-29-11, 03:37 PM   #3
MeHereNow
Les Paul Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfs69 View Post
someone has to be able to help a lil?!
Yup.
It's called the "Search" button, it,s somewhat toprightish on the page just a inch or so under the pic of the Darkburst LP.
Old 04-29-11, 05:09 PM   #4
Ace139
All Access/Backstage Pass

I know they started making them in '95 and those are the most desirable year. Can't remember but it was something about the tuners. The '95's had either Grovers or Keystone type of tips on them whatever they were they only made them in '95. The pickgaurd should have JP's relpica signature on it or at least look like it used to be there depending on if the owner played it or took it off. The case should say Gibson on the outside and have a green lining with a green cover blanket that also has JPP's replica sig on it. I think that the case also may have had his replica sig on it as well.

I think all the tone and volume knobs were push pull. There was also a clear plastic overlay that came with the guitar that explained the wiring and how to use the push/pull's. The color should be a between an Iced Tea and Honey Burst with medium flame coverage.

Skinny eliptical kneck shape. That's about all I can remember. Good Luck
Old 04-30-11, 02:25 AM   #5
Ad_02Std
Les Paul Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeHereNow View Post
Yup.
It's called the "Search" button, it,s somewhat toprightish on the page just a inch or so under the pic of the Darkburst LP.
You ever tried searching "Jimmy Page Les Paul" on here?
Ad_02Std is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-11, 04:37 AM   #6
Scott L
Les Paul Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ad_02Std View Post
Have fun -

http://www.google.com/search?q=Jimmy...5e657b732f 11
Scott L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-11, 03:57 PM   #7
MeHereNow
Les Paul Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ad_02Std View Post
Nah, never.
I guess it's so full of keywords on "page,paul,jimmy" that the page will flip into overload..
But i do now and then a search on random words like "a**hole" ( but the uncensored version) just to see which threads show up.
But that word got 8 pages worth of threads which got me thinkin...
"Tuna Sandwich" even gets a result..
"Alien abduction"gets you a thread on Jimmy Page's No. 1 actually..
Old 05-01-11, 08:46 PM   #8
dfs69
Les Paul Forum Member

Tyvm for the legit replies. I tried the search and was over whelmed with entries not geared towards my question. I'll check the gtr out tomorrow and if I can, I'll post a few pics to see what the general thoughts are on it.

Old 05-02-11, 06:49 AM   #9
Stevedenver
Les Paul Forum Member

here ya go
see ya got the usual warm LP forum reception
people dont always understand that search, on the forum as opposed to google,
doesnt work too well -especially with old threads-which yours would likely be

the 95-97 were the first run-basically a very nice standard-factory -with nice tops and colors-miserable -simply msierable fingerboards-light rosewood of some genus ive never seen used on any guitar (except my old harmony sovereign)-and many of the ones ive seen sport this type pf rosewood board-and dont think you can oil it or stain it into pretty-it seems not only dry , but particularly fibrous or splintry-however-just playing it will make it much better-ie finger oil and use smooth it down (or even some 400+grit) and give it a lustre -but its still light as LPs go

-gibson should have been ashamed to use this on a top end offering IMHO

earliest version had grovers with kidneys-i think 95 only
later had grovers with keystones-
ditto compound radius neck-altho these ran into 96 cause ive got one, i think, on mine, and early 96, with keystones-feels really nice above the octave

-short tenon-fancy electronics -push pulls on all 4 pots -amazing switching -phase series parallel tap
early ones had compound radiuis necks ,later ones did not-comes w/ a spectacular high end TKL with a green lining a,d JPs sig on the removable shroud in the case
-the bad news 496-500s pups
lovely cherry red stain on mahog
brass input guard

the necks are really thin-you dont want one that is floppy-ie not stiff-should NOT have a lot of pitch change when you press----fret dress and nut work were sometimes poor

then, another animal entirely, are the second run-custom shop, long tenon, Historic-with simpler switching and again a neck and all detail modeled after, as i recall, page #2-custom page type pups as i recall

the first version has signature on pickguard-range in wonderful conditoin-about 3500+ last time i looked-they seem to have been a 'flavor of the month'-i think when something is offered new-like the custom shop versions or the custom-and theres hub bub-then this might again drive market up

second version

much higher prices -cant accurately tell you but id guess at least 5K-6k + for the run of the mill ones-not signed or limited

first run of the custom shop version -ie signed-much much higher-like knee buckling-some sold at 25K when first out-dont know where they are now but these are true collectable LPs of the modern era

the two as instruments, as i understand things, are apples and oranges-factory production versus a special, custom shop historic

i own the first version, a 96, as mentioned, -and while ive kept it-
i have some ambivalence-but for the namesake and switching options -id probably sell it-its a superlative Gibson standard with a lovely bit of flamed eastern maple on the top
I put in timbuckers because i really disliked the stock pups and it really helped-but its no historic
didnt mess with the caps and pots-open the cavity and its a spaghetti bowl-at the time i was trying to 'fix it' 500k push pulls were difficult to find too-now i am less motivated-i suppose i should simply put it back stock

short of ponying up for the custom shop run
id sooner soup up a fine historic if you simply want the JP features but not the pedigree or collectability-hell, a bit of care in slecting a fine historic, nice pups old grovers and some attention to the electronics will not cost you the same -nor will you fear playing it

unless you get this thing for mid to high 2's -maybe 3's ...-imho for sheer "good LP guitar"-i think you might like a historic better-ie price determines value - i dont know if they will hold a significantly higher value over a factory standard in the long run-they could to some collectors -and then condition is everything-as always-certainly this wont be how dealers see things-they will always sell them as something 'rare'...

i will tell you that of my LPs it is one i seem to play the least-mostly because of the thin neck -this even includes my LP recording guitar!

-to give you some idea -they are good guitars -and they will give you zep tones-they just dont have the lovely feel or woody sound of a decent historic -mine isnt as lively in feel

when i do play, i enjoy it-it is amazingly versatile-but with good pups electronics changes and nice pots and caps -you do have a lot of other options-when you have historics and others to chose from -this isnt the go to-and

as i recall-the 95s are very very different in overall everything than the later years of the first run -nicer neck-slightly thicker, lighter weight, -so if the 95 speaks to you -it may be a gem-

now go do some homework so you dont overpay-things that matter-an un-worn pickguard, the clear thing over the knobs that tells you what they do, and the little book that tells you what setting for what zep songs-
1st run guitar, as mentioned came with 500-496-neeked-no covers , double black bobbins, and -all gold hardware

Last edited by Stevedenver : 06-09-11 at 09:52 AM.
Stevedenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-11, 08:03 PM   #10
dfs69
Les Paul Forum Member

Stevedenver, tyvm for info. I'll avtually get to see it and play it tomorrow. He swears its a 97, but the serial number screams 98 to me. I'll add more comments tomorrow.

Just to be sure I'm understanding you, this JPLP would be worth it for under 2k? Understood it would have to be very good condition and straight neck and all original parts...etc...

Thanks again to everyone who posted.

Old 05-03-11, 04:26 PM   #11
Stevedenver
Les Paul Forum Member

well in sheer terms of re-sale-id say so
provided all original, good to great conditoin, including teh pcikguard, case, shroud , be nice if it has the clear plastic overlay i mentioned as well as the paper work

in terms of value for you as a guitarist
youll need to play it and see if it speaks to you

btw-i read one review on harmony central where an owner indicated the bridge was incorrectly positioned, throwing off the intonation

he was the only post id ever seen like this-but
as it would be a major pita
check the intonation too

do let us know how it works out and yoru impressions regardless of purchase
Old 05-03-11, 04:29 PM   #12
Stevedenver
Les Paul Forum Member

gratuitous eye candy
mine as it is-all parts guard-pigtail prototype stop bar
timbuckers
Old 05-03-11, 05:16 PM   #13
jimmyace2006
Les Paul Forum Member

I will sell you my signed Jimmy Page #2 LP for a ridiculous amount of money
jimmyace2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-11, 05:24 PM   #14
jimmyace2006
Les Paul Forum Member

Rick Hogue just got one; the ad says 2010 Page #2 but the guitar in the listing is a 2005 Page #1 with a PAge #1 serial #

http://www.gpguitars.com//product_in...oducts_id=3246

Last edited by jimmyace2006 : 05-03-11 at 07:35 PM.
jimmyace2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-11, 06:53 PM   #15
498-T
Les Paul Forum Member

The Les Paul guitar is a board a little over three feet long with about $300 worth of electronics in it. There's really not a lot to say about it, so I guess we should all stop posting here since anything we're about to say has already been said by someone else and can easily be found with the search button . That's it, close all threads, stop yakking everybody, we're done.
498-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-11, 09:15 PM   #16
dfs69
Les Paul Forum Member

I was able to see it for an in hand inspection...

the serial # is 929963xx/so a 96 not a 98. its in good condition with the black case/green lining/green shroud/pick guard (but the front screw hole is broke), none of the case candy. pickups and wiring look untampered with. The bridge pup hole has LPPG hand written in pen. the truss cover says standard and the head stock has the silk screen "les paul model". the burst definitely has less red in it than yours stevedenver and the center is less amber colored (more of an even "butterscotch"? color that is slightly darker around the edges). I'll see it again this weekend and try to get some pics. Thanks again for the replies!

Old 05-04-11, 09:11 AM   #17
Stevedenver
Les Paul Forum Member

actually -but for the lppg in the cavity -this all sounds right-if the pickguard hole is merely split with a small crack but all pieces intact-might be ok-if its missing plastic-that may be a bigger issue for a collector-in any case i imagine youll replace it to prevnet wearing the delicate gold printing

i have no recollection of JPPG is in mine or not-its been years since i swapped the pups

fwiw -mine almost has a greenish tinge to it in real life-i think its simply the pic

mine looks like real tea-very brown and a tinge of green in natural light-or so it seems with the yellow?it is defineitly lacking in in the burst

so wadja think? how did it feel and play?
did it have a light fingerboard?
let face it, if you can get it for 2k-thats one hell of an LP standard-the nicer case alone may justify the difference in price between a stock new standard and you used one!
Old 05-04-11, 08:30 PM   #18
dfs69
Les Paul Forum Member

I spent over 8 hours cleaning and buffing this neglected guitar. Cleaned up awesome! I'll get strings on it and set it up and then take some pics, but I'll need someone to host them for me. Btw...I only paid $800.00 for it!! Stevedenver, thanks again for all the input.

Old 05-04-11, 08:36 PM   #19
dfs69
Les Paul Forum Member

Ace139, thanks for your replies too

Old 05-06-11, 07:10 AM   #20
Stevedenver
Les Paul Forum Member

$800 .....very impressive indeed-well done !!!(wonder if it was hot-seems way too low for anyone who bought an LP)
(thats an amazing price for a les paul with a neck still attached)LOL

that alllows you a big chunk of $$$ to find some 4 wire humbuckers -im assuming that you may not care for the stock pups
i might suggest Duncan page versions -in 4 wire-or even seth louvers-great values and great pups both-and of course a workhorse pickguard

now -go sign up at photobucket-this will host all your pics
1 upload your digital pics on your computer-from your camera
2 then go to photobucket -sign up-no fee-and simplly upload

3 once uploaded to photobucket -choose the address for your photo -http:........jpg
4 copy this
5 then come here
6 push reply

7 then using the little icon above thats yellow and looks like a mountain silouette with a moon in the upper rh corner-
8 paste the pic address and

9 post

Last edited by Stevedenver : 07-13-11 at 01:27 PM.
Old 05-06-11, 09:04 AM   #21
Strat God
Les Paul Forum Member

Congratulations on a fabulous deal! I'm sure you'll love it, but if you find you don't like it give me a shout-
www.thekeystoneband.com
Strat God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-11, 09:56 AM   #22
dfs69
Les Paul Forum Member

lol!! My lead player says I need to go to confession for buying it that cheap, but thats what he wanted for it! But...10 hours of cleaning and scrubbing on it!! Lots of naptha/spit and elbow grease. Its at my techs house now getting set up, as soon as its back Ill go to that site and post pics. Thank you for your help Steve...(you must be a teacher with that kind of patience, and the step by step directions!). Hopefully have it back this weekend, well see.

Old 05-06-11, 09:59 AM   #23
dfs69
Les Paul Forum Member

lol! Ill keep you in mind Strat God...but, do Strat Gods...play Les Pauls?! Isnt that sacrilegious?!?

Old 05-06-11, 12:16 PM   #24
EdMcL
Les Paul Forum Member

Yes, yes we do
Two in fact, - two !

Great Score BTW

Quote:
lol! Ill keep you in mind Strat God...but, do Strat Gods...play Les Pauls?! Isnt that sacrilegious?!?
Old 05-06-11, 12:20 PM   #25
Ace139
All Access/Backstage Pass

Quote:
Ace139, thanks for your replies too
Glad to help - $800 - that's a killer deal!! Congrats and post the pics when you can. Rock On !!
Old 05-06-11, 02:01 PM   #26
dfs69
Les Paul Forum Member

Ok, lets try to post a few pics from my cell phone. I'll post more detailed pics when I get it back from my tech. Hope these teasers will work for now.[IMG][IMG]

Old 05-06-11, 02:02 PM   #27
dfs69
Les Paul Forum Member

Old 05-06-11, 02:02 PM   #28
dfs69
Les Paul Forum Member

Old 05-06-11, 02:05 PM   #29
dfs69
Les Paul Forum Member

Ive been looking on line and havent seen one with this color? Are they all way different? or just a few color schemes on them? Mine seems more butterscotch/honeyburst combination? Hope you like the few I have. I will post more after its back with a much better camera.

Old 05-06-11, 03:18 PM   #30
Stevedenver
Les Paul Forum Member

well actually im a G(&D(*&ed lawyer!

and i havent seen that finish -very cool
there no doubt its page indeed -at least from the gold pups screws and other appointments i recognize
fingerboard looks like mine too
what a nice looking one too-interesting top

youll have to give us your impressions on the pups -especially thru your twin-should be very revealing

i have had great luck with two products for shingin stuff up-
the first is called Novus fine plastic polish-it will take some elbow grease but will shine things up

and if youre really motivated-there a product called Dry Wash and Guard-
its a miracle product-super fine pumice suspende in liquid-looks like greenish Comet cleaner water-will shine things like new-really-and leave things like hand pin striping -very very gentle

used for concours cars-but its amazing on nitro and plastics -and its pricey -just in case you want that sucker to be glossy new-youve gotten such an amazing price you should buy yourself something-perhaps a new car?

btw if this is your first LP youll need to turn that stop bar around to have any success ...........................LOL!
Old 05-06-11, 04:01 PM   #31
dfs69
Les Paul Forum Member

I havent seen this finish either?! I like it, but its growing on me...so Im liking it more and more. I had a 2000 Classic Plus that got stolen a year ago, so this falling into my lap (especially at this price!!!) has been great! The classic had the same pickup combo and I loved it for hard rock/metal, but I play in a classic rock/new country (with a little blues thrown in) band now so I had to lower the pickups quite a bit to get the sound I wanted. My avatar pic is my main now, so Ill keep it for the country/blues songs, but if this JP sounds and plays great, itll be my main for rock.

Ive had a '95 Studio and a '76 Standard besides the classic and now the JP, so I know how the stop bar goes!!! But, thank you for your concern!! lol!! But...I usually wrap the stop tail so I can screw it all the way down...but, for the sake of the pics...it wouldnt stay on if it wasnt flipped!

Old 06-17-11, 04:38 PM   #32
dfs69
Les Paul Forum Member

I know its been awhile since I posted on this thread, but I got the JP back and finally got a couple extra pics. Feels good and sounds good (still getting my rig tweeked in with it), but I have a large street dance tomorrow night so I'll post pics of it in action sometime on sunday, but for now...

Old 06-17-11, 04:42 PM   #33
dfs69
Les Paul Forum Member

Lets try another?!

Old 06-17-11, 07:45 PM   #34
city sirens
Les Paul Forum Member

Beautiful
Old 06-17-11, 07:50 PM   #35
joemags54
Les Paul Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by city sirens View Post
Beautiful

"MUSIC IS A COMMUNAL THING. IT ALLOWS US TO SHARE IN SO MANY WAYS, FEELINGS AND EMOTIONS IN A WAY THAT CAN TOUCH OTHERS DEEPLY. IT IS WHEN WE REACH DEEP INSIDE OUR SELVES THAT IT IS BEST. HONEST EMOTION AND IDEAS FROM THE HEART MAKE IT BEST IMO".... Big Al
joemags54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-11, 10:39 AM   #36
dfs69
Les Paul Forum Member

Thank you!! Im really starting to dig it. It has a pickgaurd now, so Im thinking it looks a hell of allot better!!

Old 06-18-11, 06:29 PM   #37
city sirens
Les Paul Forum Member

That honeyburst looks lickable.
Old 06-21-11, 12:32 PM   #38
Stevedenver
Les Paul Forum Member

you did a great job of buffing it out!
Old 06-21-11, 02:47 PM   #39
dfs69
Les Paul Forum Member

Thanks Steve. Still needs more buffing, but june/july are very busy months so I'll have to wait to take the hardware off and buff the hell out of it. I should get my gig pics from sat back tomorrow and I can post them. Got some great shots w/ my 335, and some good ones w/ the JP. Hopefully tomorrow I can have them posted.

Old 06-21-11, 06:02 PM   #40
LedHed
Les Paul Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace139 View Post
Glad to help - $800 - that's a killer deal!! Congrats and post the pics when you can. Rock On !!
Hey DFS-

First of all - CONGRATS!! $800 for that guitar is "is a steal", IMO, given its original cost.

To further illustrate what a great deal you got on this guitar, when it was offered for sale at retail shops in the late 90's, it was one of the most expensive LP's that Gibson offered, especially for a non Custom Shop guitar... They blamed the price on the "exotic electronics"...

For example, the local Guitar Center (I know, I know.....) at the time had one on the wall that was priced at $4300 new.....

I got one of the 90's JPLP's at the time, but replaced all the gold hardware and pickups with nickel hardware, and put in covered Gibson Classic 57's modified by 4 conductor wiring. Lastly, I replaced the Gold Keystone tips, with some Grover Gold kidney bean knobs, like Mr Page has one his Number One.

The pickup variations (21 of them) are pretty comprehensive and I used the wiring diagram to create a 4 push/pull JP wired version of a 58 Historic "JPLP" that Tom Murphy helped me with back in the 90's

I love my Historic Collection 58 with the 4 Push Pull pot wiring scheme - pretty much does everything you could want in an electric....

Enjoy that JPLP!!
LedHed is offline   Reply With Quote