Vintage Guitar Registry
LPF Homesite

Go Back   Les Paul Forum > . > Vintage Les Pauls
Register FAQ Mark Forums Read Calendar Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-11, 10:45 AM   #1
TimmyM
Les Paul Forum Member

Glenn Frey's guitar

I have another post that I just put up abour Les Paul Junior and Specials but I was wondering if anyone knew for sure what the black Les Paul is that Glenn Frey from the Eagles is often seen playing (it looks like a Junion that has a front pickup added) wikipedia has this written when you look up Les Pauls and go down to the Juniors area
"Special-Special, 1964 , two pickups, on a flat maple top, mahogany back, and a skinny flat '60s neck, with dots. Loud with bass overtones. Glenn Frey's sound on, "No Fun Aloud", a 1982 solo album". I don't know what they are talking about, special-special" what is that? Any help would be appriciated.
TimmyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-11, 01:06 PM   #2
marshall1987
Les Paul Forum Member

Re: Glenn Frey's guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyM View Post
I have another post that I just put up abour Les Paul Junior and Specials but I was wondering if anyone knew for sure what the black Les Paul is that Glenn Frey from the Eagles is often seen playing (it looks like a Junion that has a front pickup added) wikipedia has this written when you look up Les Pauls and go down to the Juniors area
"Special-Special, 1964 , two pickups, on a flat maple top, mahogany back, and a skinny flat '60s neck, with dots. Loud with bass overtones. Glenn Frey's sound on, "No Fun Aloud", a 1982 solo album". I don't know what they are talking about, special-special" what is that? Any help would be appriciated.
Yeah Glenn has owned and played that black Gibson guitar for years. You can see him playing it on "Already Gone" back in 1974 on Don Kirshner's Rock Concert. Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VL6Fa...eature=related

I have a couple of recent Eagles DVDs but the camera man doesn't zoom in close enough to identity it.

Given the fact that Glenn's has owned and played that same guitar since at least the early 70's, I would wager it's a pre-1958 Gibson Les Paul Special. That model was not in the Gibson catalogs from the late 60's to the early 70's. IMO, It's got to be a vintage Les Paul Special.

He must have a sentimental attachment to it, because he always pulls it out in concert. It wouldn't be a stretch to imagine that his buddy Bob Seger may have given the guitar to Glenn back in the 60's just when they were breaking out of Detroit. It would be interesting to do a search of Bob Seger live concert videos on "You Tube". You might come across a similar black Les Paul Special.

It soun good.

Last edited by marshall1987 : 01-11-11 at 01:45 PM.
marshall1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-11, 01:30 PM   #3
soulbrojcs
Les Paul Forum Member

Quote:
If I'm not mistaken, that was a guitar that he got from Paul Paul Barrere of Little Feat, who did the mods before Glenn got hold of it. since he's had it practically forever, I think he likes it quite a bit...
soulbrojcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-11, 03:23 PM   #4
TimmyM
Les Paul Forum Member

Marshall 1987, Thanks for the reply...you are correct, Glenn does play and had palyed this guitar for a long while. The problem that I see is that it has only two knobs like a Junior but it has a front pickup like a Special. I think that maybe it is an old Junior with an added front pickup and a toggle switch. All I know is that I want one! BTW what the hell is this?
Old 01-11-11, 06:00 PM   #5
kharrison
Les Paul Forum Member

Quote:
Marshall 1987, Thanks for the reply...you are correct, Glenn does play and had palyed this guitar for a long while. The problem that I see is that it has only two knobs like a Junior but it has a front pickup like a Special. I think that maybe it is an old Junior with an added front pickup and a toggle switch. All I know is that I want one! BTW what the hell is this?
Looks like a renecked 70's Les Paul Custom with P90's added
kharrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-11, 08:06 PM   #6
TW59
Les Paul Forum Member

Quote:
BTW what the hell is this?
looks like a 50's single cut Junior with a lot of things done to it.

Hüter der Flammen!

PLEASE SUPPORT www.burstserial.com !!
Click here: www.burstserial.com
TW59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-11, 08:19 PM   #7
yeti
Les Paul Forum Member

Quote:
Marshall 1987, I think that maybe it is an old Junior with an added front pickup and a toggle switch. All I know is that I want one! BTW what the hell is this?
Must have been a common mod back in the day.
yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-11, 07:50 AM   #8
Rev.WillieVK
Les Paul Forum Member

I vote for a '50s Junior with an added neck pup, ABR/TOM, and toggle.

Rev.WillieVK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-11, 10:44 AM   #9
TimmyM
Les Paul Forum Member

Thanks everyone for the replys. I had read someplace that he got this guitar from Jackson Browne (not the guy from Little Feet, but who knows). Jackson couldn't get the guitar to stay in tune or something and gave or sold it to Glenn...maybe that's when he had the TOM added? Rev.WillieVK, that is a great straight on picture of Glenn with the guitar. Definitely a dog-ear in the front and a toggle switch added below the bridge. Strange though, no Gibson markings at all...total refinish?
Old 01-12-11, 01:30 PM   #10
marshall1987
Les Paul Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.WillieVK View Post
I vote for a '50s Junior with an added neck pup, ABR/TOM, and toggle.

Yup, I think you are right. I don't see any neck binding in that photo. Plus the control layout and pickups are not consistent with a Les Paul Special.

It's amazing how some of these famous and wealthy performers tend to hang on to "mutt" guitars they acquired as teenagers or young bloods. Must have something to do with the neurons and wiring of the left side of the brain. Or is it the right side? Argh
Old 01-13-11, 10:47 AM   #11
soulbrojcs
Les Paul Forum Member

You could be right about Jackson Browne, but I THINK I remember reading in an interview that Paul (Little Feat guy) spent a summer sanding down a Jr. or Special, painting it red/orange in imitation of a Gretsch color maybe, and then never liking it. and then doing the current mods before giving/selling it to Glenn. that first part is in the Guitar Player Magazine interview with him and Lowell from the 70's (sorry, my books/mags are still packed up from a recent move). I believe I read the second part (about him passing it on to Glenn) in another publication later... again, my memories of this are a little foggy. I'll try and dig the interview out as soon as possible.
soulbrojcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-11, 12:22 PM   #12
58Lover
Les Paul Forum Member

Location: (Q) How many guitars should you have? (A) Just one more.

I read many years ago that Jackson Browne gave it to him.

Join the "Camel Toe Surf Club! @ http://www.cafepress.com/laughs4musicians/8568585

"I'm the friggin' Guitar Player... Be Afraid!"
http://members.cafepress.com/product...461536_8572717

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CILn0TZtkw
58Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-11, 01:24 PM   #13
Flogger
Les Paul Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TW59 View Post
looks like a 50's single cut Junior with a lot of things done to it.
Norlin made some flat maple topped Les Pauls in the very early 80's, I forget what it was called (XP2?), but they had humbuckers. Maybe the dogears are retrofitted.
Flogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-11, 02:04 PM   #14
58Lover
Les Paul Forum Member

Location: (Q) How many guitars should you have? (A) Just one more.

My guess is someone in K-town made himself a custom piece. It's happened before.

Join the "Camel Toe Surf Club! @ http://www.cafepress.com/laughs4musicians/8568585

"I'm the friggin' Guitar Player... Be Afraid!"
http://members.cafepress.com/product...461536_8572717

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CILn0TZtkw
58Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-11, 03:23 PM   #15
HeeBGB
Les Paul Forum Member

Scroll Down to "o"

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyl...es-A-to-Z-804/#

I know it may not be totally accurate but it is what it is.
HeeBGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-11, 04:46 PM   #16
TW59
Les Paul Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58Lover View Post
My guess is someone in K-town made himself a custom piece. It's happened before.
Kaiserslautern?!

Hüter der Flammen!

PLEASE SUPPORT www.burstserial.com !!
Click here: www.burstserial.com
TW59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-11, 06:56 PM   #17
marshall1987
Les Paul Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flogger View Post
Norlin made some flat maple topped Les Pauls in the very early 80's, I forget what it was called (XP2?), but they had humbuckers. Maybe the dogears are retrofitted.
Glen Frey has played that black guitar publicly since at least 1974.