Les Paul Forum
The Fender Forum
The Cafe Wah
LilyPix
Merchandise
Vintage Guitar Registry
LPF Homesite

Go Back   Les Paul Forum > . > Historic District
Register FAQ Mark Forums Read Calendar Calendar Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-20-09, 05:41 PM   #1
nuclearfishin
All Access/Backstage Pass
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 41
Fret wire on r9 vs r8

What's the difference in fret wire between a 99 R9 and a 03 R8? Which one is more historically accurate?
nuclearfishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-09, 05:58 PM   #2
Zoomer
All Access/Backstage Pass
 
Zoomer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New York
Posts: 2,098
Re: Fret wire on r9 vs r8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclearfishin View Post
What's the difference in fret wire between a 99 R9 and a 03 R8? Which one is more historically accurate?
My R7, R8's and R9's all have the same fret wire.

,

Zoomer
__________________

There is no such thing as too much flame !!!
Zoomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-09, 06:31 PM   #3
reswot
All Access/Backstage Pass
 
reswot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 3,111
Re: Fret wire on r9 vs r8

There is NO difference. They've used the same wire for a number of years.
reswot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-09, 07:06 PM   #4
markguitar
Les Paul Forum Member
 
markguitar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 2,156
Re: Fret wire on r9 vs r8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclearfishin View Post
What's the difference in fret wire between a 99 R9 and a 03 R8? Which one is more historically accurate?
The '99 will have the same taller and more narrow wire like the std. production guitars. That wire was used thru 2000. Then in 2001 the Custom Shop switched to the more accurate wire that they are still using in '09. But for all of the years of the reissues, no model in the same year would have different wire. So a '99 and a 2003 WOULD have different size fretwire.
markguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-09, 08:05 AM   #5
nuclearfishin
All Access/Backstage Pass
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 41
Re: Fret wire on r9 vs r8

Quote:
Originally Posted by markguitar View Post
The '99 will have the same taller and more narrow wire like the std. production guitars. That wire was used thru 2000. Then in 2001 the Custom Shop switched to the more accurate wire that they are still using in '09. But for all of the years of the reissues, no model in the same year would have different wire. So a '99 and a 2003 WOULD have different size fretwire.
That makes sense, my 99 has much taller fretwire than my 2003. I like them both, I was just curious if one was more accurate than the other. Back in 1958 and 1959, did Gibson use the same size fretwire between those two years?
nuclearfishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-09, 08:55 AM   #6
R9.
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,707
Re: Fret wire on r9 vs r8

Is there any chance that Gibson does use different size wire sometimes?
I know they're all the same but a few guys at the other forum kept insisting that some of their newer reissues have different size wire.

One guy said his (can't remember the exact year) 2005 R7 had thinner frets than his R9. One other guy said his R7BB has lower frets than his R8.

Every reissue I've played has had the same sized frets. Never played a '90s historic.
R9. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-09, 11:57 AM   #7
Black58
All Access/Backstage Pass
 
Black58's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the bathroom, fixing my guitar.
Posts: 9,277
Re: Fret wire on r9 vs r8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclearfishin View Post
That makes sense, my 99 has much taller fretwire than my 2003. I like them both, I was just curious if one was more accurate than the other. Back in 1958 and 1959, did Gibson use the same size fretwire between those two years?
'58 into early '59 was smaller.
__________________
People with lots of words are usually lying or stupid.



*NEW* .. er.. sorta .. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExkXbm_pA5U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChObi...ature=youtu.be
Black58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:25 AM.



 



The Les Paul Forum is a privately owned and operated site.
The Les Paul Forum is in no way affiliated with Gibson Musical Instrument Corporation.
All trademarks are the property of GMIC.

All messages on this forum express the views of the author
and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of
The Les Paul Forum and/or it's administration.
The Les Paul Forum will not be held responsible for the content
of any messages posted on this forum.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2012 Les Paul Forum