• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

paul kossoffs stripped les paul

fast ricky love

In the Zone/Backstage Pass
my main man 'pipes' and i went in recently on a FREE video (the band, not $0) off of e-bay. it's about 40 minutes long, has whatever footage was available from isle of wight, and numerous what appear to be shot for british tv numbers in front of an audience. they kicked ass so seriously. there doesn't seem to be any other footage i've been able to locate. in any case, kossoff A) was so pure: his facial/mouth contortions were unbelievable, IMHO angus got all his mannerisms from koss B) actually being able to watch his vibrato is really fascinating C) the tone from the les paul he played during isle of wight and a few other numbers on the video is the ultimate. really the ultimate. so does anyone know about that guitar? it's face was stripped bare. you hears what i'm sayins?

lpnv59

All Access/Backstage Pass
I have that video and I agree with you 100%. That stripped one had the tone, especially on The Beat Club appearance when they played Fire & Water. That guitar is still in England, Kossoff fan Jim knows his name. :dude

Humbuck

!

I have that vid too...love the Darkburst with the subtle little flame. Koss was great.

Buzz

All Access/Backstage Pass
Anybody willing to strip a Historic to see if it sounds better?

:dead:

Last edited:

Kossoff_Fan

Ahhh yes, the famous stripped Les Paul

I love that guitar.

Here's what I can tell you.

- There probably is more footage of Free's Isle of Wight performance out there; just unreleased. I just recently bought a CD of their entire Isle of Wight performance. It's good, but not their best IMHO.

- Koss' facial expressions were so extreme (for lack of a better word) because he was *singing* all those licks out loud while he was playing. I have a very, very rare taping of Koss jamming in his flat and he's singing every note - perfectly - with his guitar. On the records, you just hear his guitar, but on this tape, both his voice and guitar are audible and it's as if they're one.

- Regarding the guitar: Back in the mid 90s, a British guitar magazine called The Guitarist (I believe) featured this guitar in an article. I have a poorly photocopied version of this article, but would love to get an original. There are detailed photos and notes from it's owner. I forget the bloke's name at the moment. If anyone has a spare copy of that article, please e-mail me.

- I have a different article that was published by the British fanzine FAS (Free Appreciation Society) in which the current owner discusses the guitar. The author/current owner does not give his name however, as he wishes to remain anonymous for obvious reasons.

- I personally would give my left one AND my right one for the chance to play this guitar just once. There, I've said it.

- I compiled a list of all of Koss' (reported, photographed) guitars. I have it at home somewhere and can post it if anyone's interested. Koss used a variety of Les Pauls - mainly '58, '59 or '60 Bursts - and a few other ones during his brief career.

- From what I've read, Koss actually used heavy strings. I don't think that sort of thing was widely discussed/reported in those days, but from listening to Free, it certainly sounds like he had medium to heavy gauge strings. I wouldn't be surprised if his high E string was a .012.

fast ricky love

kossoff fan you the man

i'm always blown away by the knowledge of you guys... i agree by the way with lpnv59, the 'fire and water' on that video kicked butterball ass. and i love the cheezy graphics of 'free' over the top of the video. pure 70's. did koss strip the guitar? or have his tech do it? did he have a tech? and i read he played heavy heavy guage. up to 13's!! how the hell did he do that?

Kossoff_Fan

Glad to help, Koss is the man!

I've just been listening to Free and searching for info for a long time. ;) More that 1/2 my life actually...

I agree with both you and LPNV59, that version of Fire and Water on the video tape is freakin' AWESOME! I love the way Rodgers' voice sounds - really rough and raspy, but complete control...

Koss does a lick at the end of the solo that just KILLS me every time I hear it!

You know, if you want the WHOLE SCOOP on Free, there's a great book that was released last year called Heavy Load. Co-written by David Clayton, founder of the FAS. E-mail me and I can give you the scoop on how to order it from David in the UK or the co-author Todd K. Smith in the U.S.

Not sure if Koss stripped the guitar himself or had someone else do it. I can find out pretty easily. I'd always assumed he'd done it himself.

<up to 13's!! how the hell did he do that?>

Lots and lots of practice. Listening to lots of blues and learning B.B. King, Freddie King etc...

<or have his tech do it? did he have a tech?>

No guitar tech as far as I know. Free had 1-2 roadies that hauled gear, along with assorted friends and family that helped out with stuff.

Jim
Kossoff_Fan

Ian Anderson

The guy that sets up my guitars knows someone (locally - North East of England) that has one of Koss' LPs - got it through Terry Slesser (sp?) when he sang in Back Street Crawler.

According to my guitar tech pal, he used 11s

:hippy

Kossoff_Fan

<The guy that sets up my guitars knows someone (locally - North East of England) that has one of Koss' LPs - got it through Terry Slesser (sp?) when he sang in Back Street Crawler>

That could be a bloke named Arthur Ramm. I've seen pics of that guitar. I'm not sure what year it was. Possibly a '58.

Jim
Kossoff_Fan

porterburst

Kossoff

For those of you that don't have the book "Free-Heavy Load", it's a fantastic book on the band and Koss with some great pictures. A must have for true Free, Koss fans.

Last edited:

KenHill1

Buzz said:
Not to dowplay his greatness, but I think that his vibrato trill was due partly to usng very light gage strings. I know heroin can do a body good, but your stll going to need a few hours practice everyday.

:dead:

I know it's a long time since you posted this but I've only just found the site..Koss used very heavy gauge strings and had the action set high as well..it's probably why he managed to warp the neck on that white Strat he used as well

KenHill1

For Kossoff_Fan
The article was in "Guitaist" in March '96, they did the feature on Koss as it was the 20th Anniversary of his death. I've got a copy of the article, with the picture of that stripped 'burst..let me know if you still want a copy

volospion

That stripped front Les Paul also had the neck shaved, and in so doing the serial number was erased.

John Catto

KenHill1 said:
For Kossoff_Fan
The article was in "Guitaist" in March '96, they did the feature on Koss as it was the 20th Anniversary of his death. I've got a copy of the article, with the picture of that stripped 'burst..let me know if you still want a copy

Is it the same shot that's in the Tony Bacon Book, if it isn't could you post it?

fast ricky love

weird. i just was watching the video yesterday!!! the darkburst was real cool too. kind of a tri-burst actually.

Kossoff_Fan

<For Kossoff_Fan
The article was in "Guitaist" in March '96, they did the feature on Koss as it was the 20th Anniversary of his death. I've got a copy of the article, with the picture of that stripped 'burst..let me know if you still want a copy>

Hey KenHill1, yes! I'd LOVE a copy. Send me an e-mail and I'll give you all my info. I'll gladly pick-up the costs of postage too...

Many thanks,

James
Kossoff_Fan

PS: Ditto on what KenHill1 said about Koss' strings - they were probably very heavy gauge strings, from what I've read...