Vintage Guitar Registry
LPF Homesite

Go Back   Les Paul Forum > . > The Other Gibsons
Register FAQ Mark Forums Read Calendar Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-09, 02:30 AM   #1
torger
Les Paul Forum Member

southern jumbo vs j45 vs advanced jumbo

Can anyone school me on the differences on the modern version of these models. not them estetical differences but size, built quality and sound.

which to get?

thanks, trgr
torger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-09, 09:16 AM   #2
AXE752
Les Paul Forum Member

Re: southern jumbo vs j45 vs advanced jumbo

My opinion only and "general" observations. Either one is a SUPERB choice when you find a good example.

In comparison, on average, I would say the J-45 is more mellow, doesn't cut through like the Adv. Jumbo. The Adv. Jumbo for that reason seems to be a more popular "finger-picker" or powerful "flat-picker" than a "strummer." The J-45 is a "sweeter" less brash sounding "strummer."

Don't get me wrong, I think either will do any job required of a good acoustic. This is just the general way I have found each to "lean."

These models and the Martin D models are my favorites of all time. Great choices, let us know what you end up with and a tone report. Good luck!!!
Old 09-04-09, 09:19 AM   #3
AXE752
Les Paul Forum Member

OOOPS! Meant to add that the Southern Jumbo is structurally identical in every way to the J-45 except for a few cosmetics (which I happen to like.)
Old 09-04-09, 09:32 AM   #4
Art Werck
Les Paul Forum Member

I tried several Gibson acoustic models including the AJ, J-50, SJ-200 and the Hummingbird. I kept going back to the J-45. Size wise, not much difference. The Sj- 200 is bigger and different shape. The rest were/are the same size basically. Build quality, all of them appeared to be built very well but for that price,they better be! Sound wise, not much difference between the Hummingbird, J-50 and J-45. They all had a nice bottom end, warm, woody tone that I like. The AJ sounded more "toppy", brighter in tone. In the end, the J-45 was the right choice for me. After 5 years of playing, I still feel I made the right decision and it's only gotten better with age. Play as many as you can, think about what you want in a guitar (sound and feel) and go for it.
Art Werck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-09, 10:58 PM   #5
GotTheSilver
All Access/Backstage Pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXE752 View Post
In comparison, on average, I would say the J-45 is more mellow, doesn't cut through like the Adv. Jumbo. The Adv. Jumbo for that reason seems to be a more popular "finger-picker" or powerful "flat-picker" than a "strummer." The J-45 is a "sweeter" less brash sounding "strummer."
I think this is a good description. I have an AJ that I really love. I am seriously considering a Southern Jumbo as my next acoustic. These two guitars definitely have a different sound, and I think would be a good compliment to each other. Which you prefer is up to your individual taste, but both are excellent guitars.
GotTheSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-09, 06:22 AM   #6
Uncle Gary
Les Paul Forum Member

I prefer the J-45 for an all-round acoustic, expecially for vocal accompaniment. While looking for mine, I played lots of them, both new and old, and don't recall playing a bad one, although some were, of course better than others. I guess I am used to the short scale from my many years of playing Gibson electrics.

That said, I've played a couple of AJs that just KILLED, and if I decide to add another acoustic, the AJ is on my short list.

IMO, build quality out of Bozeman is some of the best that Gibson has to offer these days.
Uncle Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-09, 09:15 AM   #7
GotTheSilver
All Access/Backstage Pass

Another note on these guitars, the AJ and the J45/SJ have some significant structural differences. The J45 has a mahogany body and short scale neck. The AJ has a rosewood body and a long scale neck, as well as forward shifted X bracing, which is different from the J45. These difference make for an AJ that is really bold and aggressive sounding, and LOUD with strong string separation. The J45, on the other hand, is a bit more laid back and "blended", for lack of a better word. I have talked to several people who said the AJ is the best acoustic that Gibson makes. Of course, there are others who are die hard J45 fans. As I said in my previous post, both are excelent guitars, just different flavors. You can't lose with either.

As to build quality, I agree that Bozeman is making some exceptionally fine instruments these days. I have been very impressed with the build quality of many Gibson accoustics I have looked at lately. That's not to say you don't run into a flaw every now and then, or that they all sound the same because their is still variation from one guitar to the next. But overall the build quality is very impressive.

Have fun looking, good luck, and let us know what you end up doing.

John
GotTheSilver is offline   Reply With Quote