Vintage Guitar Registry
LPF Homesite

Go Back   Les Paul Forum > . > Historic District
Register FAQ Mark Forums Read Calendar Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-09, 04:03 AM   #1
james58
Les Paul Forum Member

Heritage as compared to Historics

What are your opinions on the quality of the Heritage 150 guitars as compared to the Historic Bursts? Is there really something to the tradition that Heritage markets?
james58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-09, 04:07 AM   #2
MikeSlub
Les Paul Forum Co-owner and Administrator

Re: Heritage as compared to Historics

Quote:
Originally Posted by james58 View Post
What are your opinions on the quality of the Heritage 150 guitars as compared to the Historic Bursts? Is there really something to the tradition that Heritage markets?
Not even close.

* "Gibson guitars are like potato chips - you can't have just one!"

* "So many Gibsons to love, so little time..."
MikeSlub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-09, 07:38 AM   #3
reswot
All Access/Backstage Pass

Well the guys running Heritage are the guys who made all those Norlins....
reswot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-09, 08:01 AM   #4
bugman4214
Les Paul Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reswot View Post
Well the guys running Heritage are the guys who made all those Norlins....
well enuff said
Old 05-10-09, 08:39 AM   #5
james58
Les Paul Forum Member

I guess there aren't many Heritage owners here then? Norlins, as I understand, have a poor reputation.
Old 05-10-09, 09:49 AM   #6
wizardmc
Les Paul Forum Member

Last edited by wizardmc : 02-10-10 at 03:29 PM.
wizardmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-09, 10:49 AM   #7
deepblue
Les Paul Forum Member

Not to run too far off topic here, but I can see Gibson reissuing Norlin era Lesters. Some guys swear by them. Myself, ive heard some that sound pretty sweet.
deepblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-09, 11:01 AM   #8
Garampingat
Les Paul Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepblue View Post
Not to run too far off topic here, but I can see Gibson reissuing Norlin era Lesters. Some guys swear by them. Myself, ive heard some that sound pretty sweet.
aren't the Pete Townsend LP sigs, John Sykes LP and Zakk Wylde LPs essentially norlin reisues?
Garampingat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-09, 11:10 AM   #9
jwalker
Les Paul Forum Member

The difference between the two is cosmetics weight and electronics. Tonally Heritages sound great and they play great. If it is between a LP Standard and an H-150CM the Heritage is a way better value IMO.

If you are comparing a Heritage to a Historic and want the Gibson look then you have to go with a Historic. But as far as construction goes I was told since last year all H-150CM's have a long tenon except the LW models. I believe the H-535 has a transitional or long tenon also. I think Heritage does not us a truss rod condom as well. They use a Nashville bridge and Grovers but if you are talking about the wood construction the Heritage is not far from a Historic. Cosmetically again you don't get the top carve of a Historic. But frankly I like the feel of the necks on my Heritage better than my Historics.

Weight wise H-150CM's have a reputation of being on the heavy side. That being said I have a 2004 H-150CM that is is 8.7lbs. that I got used in Mint condition for $980.00. Every H-535 I have played is really light. My H-535 is 7 lbs..

Personally I think any Gibson LP fan should have a Heritage in their arsenal. But like any guitar you have to get one you like. I have 3 Historic LP's and 3 H-150CM's. They are all great guitars but frankly the Heritages get a bit more play time.

Here is a pic of my H-150CMLW. It's chambered, weighs 8.2 lbs. The finish was shot by Floyd at Heritage who was shooting finishes in the same spray booth in the 50's for Gibson. I ordered it with Kluson tuners.

Last edited by jwalker : 05-10-09 at 12:57 PM.
jwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-09, 12:44 PM   #10
MRTONEMAN
Les Paul Forum Member

A question like this, is akin to going to a forum dedicated to PRS
and asking them, if a Les Paul is just as good.

All kidding aside, to get 'unbiased opinions', you need to ask at a guitar forum
that's more geared to many different brands of electric guitars.
MRTONEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-09, 04:59 PM   #11
Elliot Easton
Les Paul Forum Member

so true!
Old 05-10-09, 08:14 PM   #12
james58
Les Paul Forum Member

I do own a Heritage 150CM Classic. Bought it back in 2002 and went with it to save a few bucks as compared to Gibson. It is on the heavy side, but has some good things going on tonewise.

In 2005, I purchased a Gibson R8 and am really glad I did. I favour it over the Heritage, but am happy to own both.

I have enjoyed reading all of your views on Heritage guitars.
Old 05-10-09, 08:43 PM   #13
darkwave
Les Paul Forum Member

Beautiful Heritage you have there - and I love stingers too. My 1992 H-150CM has a stinger as well, and I pretty much consider it my main go-to guitar. I've managed to change every bit of electronics and hardware on it though...

One thing I'm curious about though. You mention the long tenon... was this a running change or an option that some dealers like Wolfe special-ordered? I've head of H-150s with long tennons but have never seen visual proof of one actually having it. Mine has a short tennon (nothing's visible within the rhythm pickup route.

My take on the whole debate is if you really want a Les Paul, then get one. A Heritage H-150 is a cool guitar, but both brands have their inconsistencies and quirks. I love my particular Heritage, but have run into many in stores that left me disappointed. Same for Gibson. I have one of each and they both cover unique ground.

-Douglas C.

[quote=jwalker;1988501]The difference between the two is cosmetics weight and electronics. Tonally Heritages sound great and they play great. If it is between a LP Standard and an H-150CM the Heritage is a way better value IMO.

If you are comparing a Heritage to a Historic and want the Gibson look then you have to go with a Historic. But as far as construction goes I was told since last year all H-150CM's have a long tenon except the LW models.
darkwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-09, 09:12 PM   #14
chuck dale
Les Paul Forum Member

I have a Heritage that was owned by the late Sam Moss of Moss Burst/Nancy fame.He played the heck out of it- a real live Murphy relic style done by Sam on many live gigs. I've had lots of historics, but this thing has it's own vibe- and the price is right! Check one out, you may find a new best friend!
chuck dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-09, 09:25 PM   #15
AXE752
Les Paul Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck dale View Post
I have a Heritage that was owned by the late Sam Moss of Moss Burst/Nancy fame.He played the heck out of it- a real live Murphy relic style done by Sam on many live gigs. I've had lots of historics, but this thing has it's own vibe- and the price is right! Check one out, you may find a new best friend!
Hey Dale,
I played that particular one many a time my own self at the store and at the house. Nice guitar. Sam often had Heritage put in pickups/hardware that he would ask for specifically. Doesn't yours have Duncans in it?
Old 05-11-09, 03:56 AM   #16
chuck dale
Les Paul Forum Member

Yep, It has Seymour Duncan Antiquties....
chuck dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-09, 06:17 AM   #17
james58
Les Paul Forum Member

I think the short tenon is stock on Heritage 150 models today, but you could likely specify the long version. Jay Wolfe's guitars always seem to have specified weight, Gibson bridge hardware, and quite possibly long tenons.
Old 05-11-09, 08:30 AM   #18
Gitfiddler
Les Paul Forum Member

Heritage Guitars have improved overall in recent years, especially under the new owner, Vince Margol. Gibson Historics have also gotten better. I enjoyed Mike Slub's thread (and photos) of the new R9's and wow, they are hard to beat. Players of each brand seem to tweak and modify their guitars to suit their personal needs. That's what is so cool about forums such as this one.

The problem with this type of comparison is that you will always find loyal followers of one marque who cringe at even the notion that their favorite guitar could ever be second to another. As was stated already, just go for the one that floats your boat and fits into your budget.

Personally, I own both Gibson Historics and Heritages, and they often share a guitar stand at my gigs. So far they've seem to get along just fine. It's not unusual for me to play a set with an H-150CM Ultra, and the next with a 68RI Custom. Both are great instruments...but different.

But since this is the LP Forum, dedicated primarily to Gibson products, this type of discussion might fare better at the Heritage Owners Club.

http://www.heritageownersclub.com/
Old 05-11-09, 09:17 AM   #19
walshb
Les Paul Forum Member

I've owned several LP's in the past, including a custom and a deluxe back in the early 70's. I also owned a Heritage H-150CM from about '91 until '06. The Heritage was at least as good as the two 70's LP's, especially after installing Seth Lovers pups. In fact, I'd rate it as the second best guitar I've ever owned. Right behind my '06 R8 that I now have.
walshb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-09, 10:17 AM   #20
james58
Les Paul Forum Member

I was apprehensive about posting, but LP guys around here have a reputation for being spot-on.

Because of this, I thought there may be some very honest input about what should go into making a great Gibson or 'take' on Gibson guitar. Didn't want to ruffle any feathers.

Thanks, I'll check out Heritage Owners too.
Old 05-11-09, 10:39 AM   #21
Gitfiddler
Les Paul Forum Member

No worries. Just trying to keep you from getting flamed.
Old 05-11-09, 06:13 PM   #22
jwalker
Les Paul Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by james58 View Post
I think the short tenon is stock on Heritage 150 models today, but you could likely specify the long version. Jay Wolfe's guitars always seem to have specified weight, Gibson bridge hardware, and quite possibly long tenons.
Vince Margol told me a few months ago that all H-150CM's are now long tenon. Have not bought one recently to find out though.
jwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-09, 10:15 PM   #23
skydog6653
Les Paul Forum Member

Not really a fair comparison considering that you'll pay 2-3 times more for the Gibson model.
skydog6653 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-09, 08:20 PM   #24
michaeljames
Les Paul Forum Member

Well, I've had/still have several of both. Gibson is Gibson. Heritage is Heritage. A ford isn't a Chevy, etc...

IMHO Heritage guitars are WAY better value for the money. But, they are not Gibson, and never will be - even with the 'Gibson heritage' they were founded on.

Just remember - these were guys that DIDN'T want to relocate with Gibson. They purchased the factory, equipment and probably a lot of wood/parts (my conjucture there).

GIBSON R9 & R0

HERITAGE H150 & H535
michaeljames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-09, 11:38 PM   #25
Cogswell
Forum Moderator

The only Heritage I've been able to spend any time with belonged to a friend. It looked like the one above but a double cutaway. The body was thinner than an LP but I noticed it was pretty heavy. The top was a killer looking Lemonburst w/mineral flecks all over it.
The hardware was a little much, too. The stuff was kind of bulky looking. My impression was that it sounded a lot like my prod. Std. & could have been improved upon w/some different p'ups & a different bridge & tailpiece.
Old 05-17-09, 11:59 AM   #26
reswot
All Access/Backstage Pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeljames View Post
...Just remember - these were guys that DIDN'T want to relocate with Gibson....
By what stretch of the imagination could that have anything to do with the quality of Heritage Guitars.

The fact that someone didn't want to move halfway across the country is in no way related to their luthiery skills.
reswot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-09, 02:51 PM   #27
becks bolero
Les Paul Forum Member

I have 3 Heritages, and about 10 Gibsons, plus an historic and several other "clones" as well

the Heritages stand up, they are killer guitars but most Gibby fans don't like the headstock design....including me at first....however when I realized what a kickass guitar it was, that became moot.

I could easily live with just the Heritages

but they are all great guitars
"First off, nobody cares if you know how to play scales. Nobody gives a shit if you have good technique or not. It's whether you have feelings that you want to express with music, that's what counts, really." -Neil Young
becks bolero is offline   Reply With Quote