• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Some of the BEST Les Paul Tone EVER RIGHT HERE!!!!!!

jwalker

Les Paul Forum Sponsor
Wow! That second clip is something else. Very nice.

TM1

Yeah, Dave's Great! I use to be in a couple of bands with him back in the early `90's. His main axe was a 335 thru the Super and a couple of pedals that increased the gain going into the amp..I think one was an old Roland, forget what it was, but he mostly left it off and just liked the boost it gave him in bypass.

CharlieS

Those clips were done with an early LP classic with Duncan Alnico II pros. He also used an Ampeg in tandem with the Super. I've always loved his tone. The harmonica can be a bit much in those clips, though.

Manolian

Les Paul Froum Member
For sure great sound. Sounds like a cross between a '60s bluesbreaker and a Dumble.

Minibucker

Just goes to show that off-the-shelf Duncans can still get it done just fine.

korus

Even the robot LP does not play itself. It's always the player. Was, is and will be.

And PAFs were regular production models then , like Duncans are today. No science, boutique, extra mile ... regular mass production of the corresponding era.

My experience is - just put stock Epi LP (with proper set up) in this guy's hands and in 5 minutes of amp tweaking - 1st or 2nd take - you'll have it exactly the same.

Minibucker

Well...considering how woofy and muddy a lot of cheaper stock 'buckers can be, a player might have a tougher time finding those spots along the way that inspire them. But you'd at least think a player like that would just play a little differently to make the most out of it. Some guys can get their tone/sound no matter what because they play/adjust to what they/the room sound like on a particular night. Other...like me...have good nights and bad ones.

marT

So is that the sound of a super reverb by itself? no pedals?

If so...holy shite!! I had no idea. Amazing tone!

I might have to re evaluate my next amp build.

Manolian

Les Paul Froum Member
So is that the sound of a super reverb by itself? no pedals?

If so...holy shite!! I had no idea. Amazing tone!

I might have to re evaluate my next amp build.

The super reverb is one of the best guitar amps ever made.A fav in my collection.

bluesforstevie

It's probably the Ampeg that has that about ready to blow up sound...:lol!!

They always sound best just before....well, you know!

Whatever Dave is using...just sounds killer in this clip. Don't get me wrong...Dave's a monster player and could make anything sound flippin' great, but...great equipment in his hands sounds even more killerer. :wah :hee

bluesforstevie

Yeah, Dave's Great! I use to be in a couple of bands with him back in the early `90's. His main axe was a 335 thru the Super and a couple of pedals that increased the gain going into the amp..I think one was an old Roland, forget what it was, but he mostly left it off and just liked the boost it gave him in bypass.

Wow!! That's cool. I had the fortune of being in a band with a cat named Bobby Nickeson...one of the best guitar players I've ever seen...much less had the pleasure of playing with...unfortunately he died in a motorcycle accident.:dang

marT

The super reverb is one of the best guitar amps ever made.A fav in my collection.

Got some serious GAS for one.

It almost sounds Marshally. Similar to my JTM45 yet with something else.

Red Baron

Those clips were done with an early LP classic with Duncan Alnico II pros.

Very nice! ...and more proof that you can get amazing tone with a Classic, along with good ears and some great fingers. I've seen a video of Mick Taylor playing a LP Classic that sounds just as good. :jim

CharlieS

Here's a pic of Dave playing the LP Classic:

03_melton_fletcher_043_sm.jpg