• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

The Custom Shop 1968 Custom Re-issue

Boogie Bill

Just when I became aware of these guitars, they have gone out of production, and Gibson took down the web page with the specs.

My understanding is that there are two versions. One is the Tri-Burst model done exclusively for Guitar Center. I know these have the 1960 "Slim Taper" neck profile. I'm not sure about the pickups, or the neck tenon on these guitars.

I have seen some other non-Guitar Center versions in different colors. (Specifically, I have seen them in Natural and in an Iced Tea Burst.) These guitars had a CS serial number. These guitars have a different neck profile--it feels basically the same as my 2005 LP Supreme--thicker than the "Slim-Taper", with a different taper from nut to body. And I believe these guitars have the long neck tenon, similar to the Historic Les Pauls. I think the pickups on these are the '57 Classics.

That's what I understand about these two versions of the 1968 Custom Re-issue. Please correct any of the above information if I have it wrong.

Can anyone share some accurate information regarding pickups, pots and caps in these models? Do they have the Bumblebees of the Historics? Are the tailpieces the lightweight version? Are these guitars weight relieved? (One of the Guitar Center Tri-Bursts I tried felt like it was easily 10+ lbs.!)

I like to hear your thoughts of the tone of these guitars; and your comments regarding their desirability.

I've never been a big fan of the Les Paul Custom model, as I have always preferred Standards. I currently have a couple Classics, a '58 Historic, a Supreme, and I just recently bought one of the GOTW LP Classic Antique Firebursts. The Supreme is closest to the Custom model, though its chambering gives a much different tone--a little airier, or woodier.

These 1968 Custom Re-issues though, have really caught my eye. It seems to me that these are constructed very closely to the Historic models; and they actually seemed to be priced a bit lower than what the '59 Historics currently are--and the '68s have spectacular tops. I'd expect a slightly different tone with the ebony board, but I have to wonder...

How much of that Historic Les Paul vibe do these guitars have?

Is the 1968 Custom Re-issue a really good value--a "sleeper" in the Gibson line?

Tell me what you know.

And thanks!

Bill

keef

The '68 RI appeared in the 'custom' catalog (which contained signature and other models other than historics) somewhere around 1999-2000. These were guitars with flamed maple tops offered in a few colors (including natural, amber and tri burst models). I think these all had '57 Classic pups.

Different from these there were the Authentic '68 versions, which were only offered in black (I think) with aged metal parts. These also date back to 1999/2000 IIRC and were made at least until 2005/6. They were featured in Gibson ads and catalogs and are now discontinued. Most or all of these had Burstbucker pickups.

The earliest '68 RIs were made in small runs (possibly only for the Japanese market) between the mid and late 1990s, finished in opaque black or white with shiny gold parts, and never appeared in the Gibson catalogs. '68 serial number, custom/historic logo on the back of the headstock, and '57 Classics.

From what I have seen I would say that all of the '68 RI had BIG necks except the GC models. Typically these guitars have a sound with a lot of treble spark, and mucho sustain. Plus they tend to be pretty heavy. All but the flame tops certainly have a historic vibe - my '96 68 was even offered by Dave's as a historic.

Sleepers? No (IMO). There are SO many custom shop Les Pauls around to choose from, whether rare or not. The '68s are very cool guitars, nothing more, or less.

Last edited:

J.D.

These are not weight releived. The ones I have seen have pretty beefy necks, similar to the early '50s profile. The few I have seen do not have the new CTS pots and BB caps, they still were using the "Gibson" embossed pots and ceramic disc caps. While not exactly '68 specs, they are an excellent guitar with vintage appointments (neck tenion, ABR-1 bridge).

Marshall Man

I have the GC version in Tri-Burst. This guitar is an awesome player and has 57 Classics PUPs. The neck is thinner than my 05 LP STD 50's neck, but still is pretty nice. It is a Custom Shop model with the case/candy/cert.

77CUSTOM

I had the custom authentic '68 reissue in black. It was a 2001, S/N 012358 It was pre Tom Murphy. Fat 59 profile neck, Custom shop on back of headstock, 57 classics, lightweight tail piece, shinny gold hardware, custom shop case. Shipped out of Gibson on 4/23/2001. Got it from Center City Music used, when Theo was working there.

Sold it, I couldn't get used to the fat neck and I didn't like the sound of the 57's. Heavier than my Norlin Customs.

roadhog96

I'll share with you all I know about them. I own only one Les Paul and it's a GC 68 Custom RI. It all started when I stopped in a local guitar shop and started looking at Les Pauls on the wall and spotted a 68 Custom and it brought back a lot of memories. I liked the looks but didn't like the feel of the neck, it was to beefy. I'm use to a strat neck C shape. I tried a Supreme and it felt so much better, it had a 60 slim taper neck. I took a trip to GC about 50miles away and found a 68 Custom there. As soon as I held it I new it was different. It had a slim neck, I liked it. I took another ride back to the local guitar shop to see theirs once more and it was the same thing just had a fatter neck. I called Gibson and and talked to GC's sales rep and found out some interesting things about this guitar that GC didn't advertise or know about. It has the same specs as the one from Gibson just GC odered them with 60 slim taper neck because they felt it would be more popular. It has a long neck tenon, I checked. 57 classic PUP's, solid one piece mohogany body and neck, Gibson pots and ceramic caps, ABR-1 bridge, ebony finger board with medium jumbo frets, etc. The body is routed out for the controls like the originals with the pots mounted in the maple capped top. It isn't a 100% repoduction of the original, but it has many of the same features. So I ended up going to GC and bought the 68 custom from them. It has a killer figured top. I can't really compare it to any other Les Pauls because it's my first, but it does have great tone and a nice looks. It weighs just under 10 lbs. but I bought a Levy 31/2" padded strap and it really dosn't feel heavy any more. I am very happy with it, it's a keeper.

roadhog96

I'll share with you all I know about them. I own only one Les Paul and it's a GC 68 Custom RI. It all started when I stopped in a local guitar shop and started looking at Les Pauls on the wall and spotted a 68 Custom and it brought back a lot of memories. I liked the looks but didn't like the feel of the neck, it was to beefy. I'm use to a strat neck C shape. I tried a Supreme and it felt so much better, it had a 60 slim taper neck. I took a trip to GC about 50miles away and found a 68 Custom there. As soon as I held it I new it was different. It had a slim neck, I liked it. I took another ride back to the local guitar shop to see theirs once more and it was the same thing just had a fatter neck. I called Gibson and and talked to GC's sales rep and found out some interesting things about this guitar that GC didn't advertise or know about. It has the same specs as the one from Gibson just GC odered them with 60 slim taper neck because they felt it would be more popular. It has a long neck tenon, I checked. 57 classic PUP's, solid one piece mohogany body and neck, Gibson pots and ceramic caps, ABR-1 bridge, ebony finger board with medium jumbo frets, etc. The body is routed out for the controls like the originals with the pots mounted in the maple capped top. It isn't a 100% repoduction of the original, but it has many of the same features. I added keystone knobs on the Grover tuners for a more authentic look and a set of gold witch hat knobs, after all, 68 was the first year they were used on the Les Paul Custom. I plan on changing to CTS pots and Black Beauty Sprague caps. So I ended up going to GC and bought the 68 custom from them. It has a killer figured top. I can't really compare it to any other Les Pauls because it's my first, but it does have great tone and a good looks. It weighs just under 10 lbs. but I bought a Levy 31/2" padded strap and it really dosn't feel heavy any more. I am very happy with it, it's a keeper.

Last edited:

rrrcustom

'68 RI's are my Les Paul of choice. I currently own 2, one standard black '05, and one of those limited '05 Silverbursts that Guitarsale.com had. My black one weighed 10.05 at the shop when I bought it, but I changed the tuners to Sperzels, so that saved a bit of weight. My Silverburst weighs 9.5 pounds.

The reason I was drawn to the '68s in the first place was because it had the thick neck. All the LP's I've had had the 50's neck, including my '57 Brazilian that I used to own, so, I'm partial to them.

My black '68 has the aluminum tailpiece, the silverburst does not.

My black '68 had '57classics in it, the Silverburst, BB2 and 3. I did buy the silverburst used, so it may have been modified at that time.

Overall, great guitars! I eventually want a keep R7 or R8, but for now, I gravitate towards the customs, and prefer them overall.

05silverburst008.jpg

roadhog96

That's the first 68 I've seen with 3 PUP's. Did you remove the finish on the neck?

mack

If you are looking for one, I saw a new one awhile back hanging in a guitar center in nebraska. I remembered it because out of all the gibsons hanging there.. about 20 in all, the 68 custom was the best looking guitar of them all. That guitar looked magnificent, it had a kind of orange finish... triburst. It was the only one Ive ever seen. That guitar had vibe.

L

loufed52

I have the Custom Shop version in Antique Natural.
Mine weighs under 10 pounds and has a beefy '50s neck.
The grain in the back of the neck is fantastic.
It's got '57s, plays and sounds great.

Here are 2 lousy pictures of it.

68LP-1.jpg

68LP3.jpg

guitarjon

That's the first 68 I've seen with 3 PUP's. Did you remove the finish on the neck?

This guitar was special ordered for me through a local dealer in 2003 as a GLPC '68 with a maple neck and 3 bb pups. The neck shape is like a regular LP Custom, not too big, but bigger than a 60's slim taper.

Red Rocket

'68 RI's are my Les Paul of choice. I currently own 2, one standard black '05, and one of those limited '05 Silverbursts that Guitarsale.com had. My black one weighed 10.05 at the shop when I bought it, but I changed the tuners to Sperzels, so that saved a bit of weight. My Silverburst weighs 9.5 pounds.

The reason I was drawn to the '68s in the first place was because it had the thick neck. All the LP's I've had had the 50's neck, including my '57 Brazilian that I used to own, so, I'm partial to them.

My black '68 has the aluminum tailpiece, the silverburst does not.

My black '68 had '57classics in it, the Silverburst, BB2 and 3. I did buy the silverburst used, so it may have been modified at that time.

Overall, great guitars! I eventually want a keep R7 or R8, but for now, I gravitate towards the customs, and prefer them overall.

05silverburst008.jpg

Last week at my local store I saw a Black Custom with chrome hardware (which I prefer). The manager told me he thought it was a 68 reissue. It was light, about 8 1/2 pounds, and was like the second guitar in this picture with no pickup covers. It had a slim neck. I checked with Gibson and by the serial number they told me it was a special issue and had the 490R/498T pups. Beautiful - only problem was some idiot had scratched the sh*t out of it. So I had them order another one in for me (they have only two in inventory).

It should arrive soon - once I have made my choice I can tell you where the other one is at if anyone wants to know.

Red Rocket

I live in San Diego, and go to Centre City weekly. Saul has one of those(black with nickel hardware and open coil humbuckers) right now. It weighs 10.05 pounds.

I *think* it had the normal LP Custom neck on it, but I'm not 100% on it. I also though about picking that one up to add to my LPC collection. I also want a fire tiger one.:wail

email me brother - I want a lighter one, but am curious as to what the price might be there.

GotTheSilver

Boogie Bill,

I feel your pain. I want to buy my first Les Paul once I save up my pennies and have been trying different versions to find what I like. I just found the '68 last weekend and decided I really like it, then found out it is discontinued.

Last weekend I was at Guitar Center and they had a few '68 Custom Reissues. I tried one in natural finish and one in cherry burst. The necks were rounder and a bit bigger than the '60 Slim Taper on my ES-335, but after a few minutes I felt comfortable. The sound on both were great - very warm and thick, loads of sustain. The guitars were both pretty heavy.

GC also had one in tri-burst that I did not try (my 335 is a tri-burst and is beautiful!). I did not realize that GC ordered some with a different neck profile. After trying out these guitars, I tried to find the '68 Custom on the Gibson website and could not. I emailed Gibson customer support and they said it was discontinued as a production model, but GC had special ordered some with slim necks as an exclusive.

I cannot find any info on the GC website about their version of the '68 Custom. I do not know if they will continue to carry it or if that's it once they sell their current stock. If anyone knows this, I would appreciate some insight as I really like this guitar but am not quite ready to buy one yet.

I will try to make another trip to GC tomorrow and try out the tri-burst to compare the neck, sound and weight.

John

Red Rocket

John, one thing to know is these bigger dealers are able to do special orders in batches if they think the demand is there. So let the GC guys know when you are closer to ready to buy one. In the meantime, I suppose you might try their financing plan if you are worried about missing out....