• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Burst Pic of the Week: 9-0901 in color

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
This one is in Vic's book...Burst in black and white.
Looks better in color!

normal_9-0901.JPG

And enhanced slightly, to emphasize the beautiful maple top:

normal_9-0901_enhanced.JPG

Anybody have more info or pics? Bring 'em on! :dude:

Todd Louis

I'm fisrt to post....:wail :wail

Yes I have NO LIFE :laugh2: :laugh2:

MapleFlame

I am a DarkCherryBurst Fanatic. That Top is just Perfect. Can you Believe these were Book Matched in the 50's. They had no Idea what these Beautiful instraments would become. Merry X-Mas Tee Double Yaaa.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
I am a DarkBurst Fanatic. That Top is just Perfect. Can you Believe these were Book Matched in the 50's. They had no Idea what these Beautiful instraments would become. Merry X-Mas Tee Double Yaaa.

Just so you know, it's a cherry sunburst, not a "dark burst". That's a modern term. :ganz

MapleFlame

I am a DarkCherryBurst Fanatic. That Top is just Perfect. Can you Believe these were Book Matched in the 50's. They had no Idea what these Beautiful instraments would become. Merry X-Mas Tee Double Yaaa.

I changed it OK OK OK OK :rolleyes:

MK.II

Nice! The flame kind of reminds me of Duane Allman's "Hot Lanta".

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
I changed it OK OK OK OK :rolleyes:

Okay! :dude:

I just think this attempt [by far too many] to invent names for finish colors of old Bursts is wrong, and confuses history. Almost all these sunburst color names are modern inventions. Great for modern guitars, but inaccurate for old guitars. I like to see historically accurate info here, to dispel myths and keep this area a great source of accurate info. :jim

sillytele

The top reminds me of low tid eand the soft rolling waves at Kialua Beach where I grew up as the sun was rising and casting a warm glow of Pacific spendor over the waking, frolicking sea.
Thus it should be called a "Hawaiian morning soft-wave top":wah

LowE

Okay! :dude:

I just think this attempt [by far too many] to invent names for finish colors of old Bursts is wrong, and confuses history. Almost all these sunburst color names are modern inventions. Great for modern guitars, but inaccurate for old guitars. I like to see historically accurate info here, to dispel myths and keep this area a great source of accurate info. :jim

Tom, while we're on this subject, I think this is a good time to set the record straight. What were the factory burst finishes from 58-60 called? I'm asking specifically about the names Gibson used, not the names we use. Did they even use the word tobacco in the sales/marketing literature?

EDIT: I know that Cherry Sunburst was one. Were there any other official names?

goldtop0

Tom, while we're on this subject, I think this is a good time to set the record straight. What were the factory burst finishes from 58-60 called? I'm asking specifically about the names Gibson used, not the names we use. Did they even use the word tobacco in the sales/marketing literature?

EDIT: I know that Cherry Sunburst was one. Were there any other official
names?

Ditto, schmucks like me need to get our heads around this,as over the years in my ignorance I've called them everything from cherry to tobacco to tomato(for some 60s) to darkburst and as these cherry sunbursts have aged and faded they've taken on a great range of colour variation pseudonyms as described in BOTB.

Thanks for the pics Tom, she's a beauty!!

holygrail

Les Paul Froum Member
Beautiful ! Thanks Tom !!:dude: :dude: :dude:

I'm fisrt to post....:wail :wail

Yes I have NO LIFE :laugh2: :laugh2:

Todd- Don't be so hard on yourself . You sure do have a
Life. It's buying up all of the Beautiful Reissues that will
fit in your apartment .:salude :salude :eek:la

mingus

Hey TW, what are the historically correct names of the types of sunbursts found on Les Paul Models from '58 to '60?

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Hey TW, what are the historically correct names of the types of sunbursts found on Les Paul Models from '58 to '60?

I believe cherry sunburst is the only color listed in the catalogs, but it is obvious a few were done in tobacco sunburst....the traditional sunburst of virtually all other models.
As these were hand sprayed, they varied somewhat. But they didn't spray darkburst, or teaburst, or lemon drop, or tomato, or clownburst.
What most people want to call darkbursts are usually a combination of less fade and a different mix of the cherry coloring. :)