• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Anyone make Mini-Hum mounting plates?

reswot

Any idea where I can get these? Parts is Parts (i.e., www.marshallparts.com) has been out of stock for as long as I can remember...

Gibson is no help; they tell me to call Allparts -- who don't even make the things...

None ever show up on ebay... The mini hums for sale rarely even have them...

I don't even need the large one: just a piece of threaded metal would work...

I'm getting desperate...

Dallas

If you are not a purist and you don't have all the tools needed to tap a piece of metal you could get a small piece of flat metal at your local hardware store, drill four holes in it, two to mount the plate to the body and two to thread the the mini humbucker screws through. Then simply superglue/metal epoxy the correct nuts to the plate. A couple of pieces of spong or foam will supply resistance as you screw them into place.

Zhangliqun

Are you talking about the pickup baseplate? Allparts definitely has those because I bought some -- but you have to call and ask for them. They have all kinds of stuff that's not on their website.

reswot

Really? I'm looking for the plate that screws to the body and the pickup mounts on it. I'll give 'em a call.

Zhangliqun

I'm talking about the metal baseplate on the bottom of the pickup itself, where the magnet and bobbins are mounted.

The Gibson way of mounting minis was just to have two holes in the bottom of the plastic (looks like caved-in P90 cover) mini-pu "ring" and screw it into the wood just like a P90 but obviously shorter screws. The pickup itself is mounted to the "ring" with a screw/spring design just like on a regular humbucker but with a thicker screw and a nut on the bottom side of the pickup baseplate ears. (The holes in the ears are wider than the screws so they need the nut.)

Zhangliqun

Is that how they mount them in Firebirds? The Les Paul mount is totally different.

reswot

I've never seen mini hums in a Les Paul mounted with wood screws from the factory...

All the untouched mini hums I've seen had a spacer between the ring and the ears of the pup. The holes in the ears were enlarged, so that the screw (a 3-48 machine screw, just as with regular humbuckers) passed through cleanly. Then a small hex nut was fastened below the ear and soldered into place, so that it wouldn't move. Then the screw was inserted into the mounting plate. As the screw is tightened or loosened, the entire assembly moves up or down....

In the earliest days, they used a thin metal bar that was tapped for the 3-48 machine screws. Later, they switched to the plate seen above, in which the inner holes worked for P90 spacing (if one used machine screws) and the outer holes worked for mini hums.

I've had a few sets of mini-hums from LPs and all the previous sets had the mounting plates. Now, I've got a couple of sets, but no plates....

Firebirds actually use rings...

Thin_Lizzy

I've never seen mini hums in a Les Paul mounted with wood screws from the factory...

All the untouched mini hums I've seen had a spacer between the ring and the ears of the pup. The holes in the ears were enlarged, so that the screw (a 3-48 machine screw, just as with regular humbuckers) passed through cleanly. Then a small hex nut was fastened below the ear and soldered into place, so that it wouldn't move. Then the screw was inserted into the mounting plate. As the screw is tightened or loosened, the entire assembly moves up or down....

In the earliest days, they used a thin metal bar that was tapped for the 3-48 machine screws. Later, they switched to the plate seen above, in which the inner holes worked for P90 spacing (if one used machine screws) and the outer holes worked for mini hums.

I've had a few sets of mini-hums from LPs and all the previous sets had the mounting plates. Now, I've got a couple of sets, but no plates....

Firebirds actually use rings...

Yes, that's the way my two Deluxes ('72 and '73) have them mounted. With the metal bars.

CutieJones

The Gibson way of mounting minis was just to have two holes in the bottom of the plastic (looks like caved-in P90 cover) mini-pu "ring" and screw it into the wood just like a P90 but obviously shorter screws. The pickup itself is mounted to the "ring" with a screw/spring design just like on a regular humbucker but with a thicker screw and a nut on the bottom side of the pickup baseplate ears. (The holes in the ears are wider than the screws so they need the nut.)

! ! !

Never seen it done like that. On any of my Deluxes.

JDPS150

Are there similar p90 mounting plates? I sure could use 1.

Thin_Lizzy

Here are mine from my '72 GT
october06005iz4.jpg

RiverRatt

Those two screws do it all. The ring moves up and down with the pickup. FWIW, I've been told you can't disassemble mini-hums. The cover and those two screws hold the pickup together.

tenon.jpg

Thin_Lizzy

Those two screws do it all. The ring moves up and down with the pickup. FWIW, I've been told you can't disassemble mini-hums. The cover and those two screws hold the pickup together.

The pickup and the ring can be seperated by cutting the screw or something. I think the pup cover can't be removed. It's part of the construction I think.