• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Aldo Nova or what?

reverbbb

Hey guys. A dude over on the Gibson-Talk forum posted questions about this guitar. He said that he bought it new in 1986. He has been researching for information for the past 8 years and has come up empty handed. He is thinking that this might be a one of a kind due to it's rarity, lack of information and the special features/color. He said the closest model that he could come up with was the Aldo Nova model, but it is in black and has less features.

Anyone know much about this guitar?

Gibson1.jpg

Gibson2Small.jpg

Gibson3.jpg

dfs69

No idea?!? Can't help you, but whats on the back of the headstock? With it's combo of features, it looks like a one off from the custom shop, but I'm not sure when they started putting the "custom shop" on the back of the head stock. Not much help here, sorry...

But I do like Aldo Nova and I would like that guitar except for it's got the wrong headstock on it!:rofl

Dean

T

Troels

reverbbb said:
Hey guys. A dude over on the Gibson-Talk forum posted questions about this guitar. He said that he bought it new in 1986. He has been researching for information for the past 8 years and has come up empty handed. He is thinking that this might be a one of a kind due to it's rarity, lack of information and the special features/color. He said the closest model that he could come up with was the Aldo Nova model, but it is in black and has less features.

Anyone know much about this guitar?

Gibson1.jpg

Gibson2Small.jpg

Gibson3.jpg

I remember that Guitar Player - many years ago -had a very interesting article about Gibsons that didn't make it commercially - and I remember clearly that this one was one of them... others were the "can opener", a double cut LP, the Moderne and the USA Map, the Victory... I have ALL my old issues of Guitar Player - so maybe I can find it... but it will take som time ...

StSpider

WOW!

Very Cool!

I'd like have one like this (except fot the middle pup maybe).

Plus, I really have a GAS over White lesters (more in general white guitars)

SFK

Les Paul Forum Member
That's cool. I know Rick Nielsen has a standard with that Headstock but I've never seen one of those.

I like the V logo on the white Explorer peg.

Looks classy.

I like that guitar alot.

reverbbb

Troels said:
I remember that Guitar Player - many years ago -had a very interesting article about Gibsons that didn't make it commercially - and I remember clearly that this one was one of them... others were the "can opener", a double cut LP, the Moderne and the USA Map, the Victory... I have ALL my old issues of Guitar Player - so maybe I can find it... but it will take som time ...

You might be onto something. Let me know if you find that article.

I know that Gibson is always doing one-off and custom prototypes. The Nashville store has a bunch of very special guitars like that. But this was built back in 1986. I wonder if this was a prototype and a true one of a kind?

T

Troels

reverbbb said:
You might be onto something. Let me know if you find that article.

I know that Gibson is always doing one-off and custom prototypes. The Nashville store has a bunch of very special guitars like that. But this was built back in 1986. I wonder if this was a prototype and a true one of a kind?

The guitars in the article was production models (except the moderne even it's still discussed some actually was build originally...) ... and I do remember some funny lines below the picture of the "can opener" - it said (something like that): "This guitar is of Gibsons usual quality and... hey come back..." and another example was: "Who left it by the fireplace..." - which makes me think that it was the English Guitar Magazine and not Guitar Player... (but I have those too...)

DC-XPL

I have a double cut LP with an Explorer headstock from 1985.

http://images.lilypix.com/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=10058&pos=0

http://images.lilypix.com/displayimage.php?album=random&cat=10058&pos=-685

Gibson was loosing market share to Jackson, BC Rich and all those ridiculous pointy guitars in mid 80's. This was their attempt regain it, but it wasn't very successful. My guitar has original Shaw PAFs and sounds pretty damn good though. I always get approached when I perform with it.

BTW, the 'can opener' was the Corvus!

reverbbb

That's cool. It reminds me of some sort of aquatic animal like a stringray.

Raptor

I know that Aldo Nova had a bunch of Les Pauls custom made for him and they began showing up for sale in the 80's and 90's. I can't remember the exact details, but I think they did have that headstock. Emailing Gibson with a serial number and some pics would be the best way to confirm it. I will try and see if I can find the info I am speaking about.

Humbuck

That might be the gayest thing I've ever seen...except for the gear.:applaude

johnnyjellybean

Aldo is an old close friend of mine. I played on a couple of his last albums including "Blood on the Bricks" . I also worked with him and Jon Bon Jovi on " Blaze of Glory" from the Young Guns II film. His 4 custom ordered LPs sported simitar headstocks but they were all sunburst standards. 3 of them landed up with Floyd Rose trems installed on them. The 4th had a cracked headstock which I fixed for him. He still owns all of them.

Raptor

johnnyjellybean said:
Aldo is an old close friend of mine. I played on a couple of his last albums including "Blood on the Bricks" . I also worked with him and Jon Bon Jovi on " Blaze of Glory" from the Young Guns II film. His 4 custom ordered LPs sported simitar headstocks but they were all sunburst standards. 3 of them landed up with Floyd Rose trems installed on them. The 4th had a cracked headstock which I fixed for him. He still owns all of them.
Cool tidbit Jellybean. I like 'You're My Love' and 'Fantasy' best of all. Is he still making music?

Reverbbb here is the thread I was refering to on the Gibson Custom forums. The picture is long gone, but it references a couple of articles about the guitars.
http://www.gibsoncustom.com/cgi-bin/toast.asp?sub=show&action=posts&fid=9&tid=11810

zekmoe

In that pic he's in front of Axiom Audio speakers. He must have been doing a promo or something for them.

Dave G

I read somewhere once that Aldo had these type of Les Pauls custom made for him.