• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Gibson Basses

TomGuitar

I know most of you are not interested in Gibson basses, but I have always dug them. I recently picked up a new old EB-2 Sunburst to add to my Basses. It was referenced in a previous thread when it was thought to be a 60, but upon closer inspection it has a 59 FON. Knobs may or may not be original or maybe a 59 FON shipped in 60. Who knows. Serial number is not able to be read correctly because someone wrote over it in pen. Here's a pick of all my basses. 1953 EB, 1959 EB-2N, 1959 EB-2, 1960 EB-0.

normal_All_4.jpg

The interesting thing about the Sunburst EB-2 is that it has a two piece top. Hopefully you can pick out the seam in this shot. It's pretty clear in person. I think Mike Slub has a twp-piece back on one of his 335's, but you sure don't see them very often.
normal_Seam.jpg

Now all I need is an EB-6.

Speedaddy38

Awesome collection! Gibson basses have always intrigued me. They are each so unique. Great stuff.

MikeSlub

Administrator
TomGuitar said:
The interesting thing about the Sunburst EB-2 is that it has a two piece top. Hopefully you can pick out the seam in this shot. It's pretty clear in person. I think Mike Slub has a two-piece back on one of his 335's, but you sure don't see them very often.

Tom,

Cool basses! My 1959 ES-335 has a two piece top, not back.

full_447_p6212.jpg

TomGuitar

MikeSlub said:
Tom,
Cool basses! My 1959 ES-335 has a two piece top, not back.

Mike, I just couldn't remember. Thanks for reminding me. We should get the 2-piece tops together for a jam.

DucRyder

Hey Tom, Is that 1960 EB-0 witht the double cut junior body a rare one? I saw one on the net about 3 or 4 months ago....but never before or since!

TomGuitar

DucRyder said:
Hey Tom, Is that 1960 EB-0 witht the double cut junior body a rare one? I saw one on the net about 3 or 4 months ago....but never before or since!
Duc,
Duchossoir's book says 123 in 1959, 342 in '60, and a few in early '61 before they switched to the SG body. The tuners changed from banjo pegs to right angle in late 60. There's one of the early 61's on eBay right now.

bluesjuke

TomGuitar,

Do you have any idea what years Goldtop EB-2's were available.
Used to have one but never found out what year it was.
I sure miss it terribly......ahhhhh foolish youth.

Last edited:

DucRyder

Thanks Tom! The one on eBay doesn't look half as nice as yours, it's way faded. great ax!

rhubarbred

I thought I was the only Gibson bass fan!

When Gibson announced they were releasing the double cut Les Paul bass, I thought "hot damn"; I expected it to look like the EB-0. Man, was I bummed when I finally saw what they came out with.

dmt

veeman, that looks cool -- I didn't even know there was such a thing (and now I want one!)

I own a Fender Precision bass. Unfortunately, it sounds exactly like I want. I say "unfortunately" because I am mainly a guitarist and can't justify [to myself] owning too many basses [on top of all the other crap I own]. The P-bass does in fact have the sound in my head, but...

I've always wanted a Thunderbird -- the coolest looking bass ever made.

And the [short scale] SG Bass totally intrigues me. Oh well.

If wishes were basses, there'd be some serious bootay shakin' going on around here!

JRW8214@AOL.COM

ive always thought that an EB-3 through a marshall is the best bass tone of all time. i think jack bruce and any fraser had the perfect bass tones. i hate the way basses sound today. i wish bass players would atleast play through tube amps instead of solid state heads and racks.

Plankspanker

Here's an EB6 I've owned for many years, it's not actially a Gibson Bass, but a Baritone.
normal_2662_p53766.jpg

Porkpie

I have a '64 Epiphone Rivoli which I absolutely adore, its a lovely thing to play. I know its not quite a Gibson bass but it kinda is really eh? :)

KingFace

When I was 19, I got roped into playing bass for a pretty hot local band. Of course, once we broke up the phone wouldn't stop rining with "Dude, do you wanna play bass for our new band?"
Now, 21 years later, I'm STILL playing bass. In that time, I've tried out just about everything. For years it was a '71 P-Bass or Thunderbird through an SVT. But after watching the Led Zeppelin DVD and hearing what a folded horn bass cabinet sounded like vs. 8 ten inch speakers, I sold the Ampeg and started buying Acoustic amps. Something about a '76 T-Bird and 300+ watts of solid state power out of an inverted 18" speaker cabinet...well, it's like nothing you can imagine.

bassandrig.jpg

KingFace

....and yeah, that's a pretty disgusting beer stain on the grill cloth.
On the last tour, on a particularly drunken night (I think in Detroit), "someone" began spitting beer onstage....

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Porkpie said:
I have a '64 Epiphone Rivoli which I absolutely adore, its a lovely thing to play. I know its not quite a Gibson bass but it kinda is really eh? :)

Those era Epiphones are readily accepted here in the Other Gibsons Forum, because they were made in the Gibson factory. :dude:

jrgtr42

I have a fairly recent Gibson bass myself...
'92, Les Paul, essentailly a Special - slab mahogany body, ebony FB, 2 humbuckers...
I'd post pics but the system won't take ones I've hosted, or even links...

j45

Great photos Tom. I've always wanted a banjo tuner EB. Those are the most beautiful basses. The were using much better wood on those late 50's basses. Also on early 60's EB-3's. The mahogany they used got pretty raunchy after '65, especially '67 and after. I've got a couple of EB2-D's, two Thunderbird's and a pile of EB3's and O's I've accumulated over the decades. Never had one with banjo's. Maybe one day...

7EBs1.jpg