• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Technical Question 2061 head

kadowaki

Looking for a little trouble shooting help here. I have a lightly used 2061 head into a 2061 cab through a Marshall power attenuator.
My problem is that while playing, midsong I suffered a marked drop in volume. The amp works fine, but the volume is greatly decreased and the response is earlier distortion.
I changed the output tubes without improvement.
Any clues as to how to trouble shoot it? I don't do much beyond changing tubes and biasing.
Thanks

Last edited:

sundaypunch

I'm no amp tech, I'm sure someone else will chime in. I do know that the 2061's have had a lot of transformer problems for a new amp. Not sure if a tranny problem could cause the volume drop?

Gold Tone

Yes....there have been MANY of these back to Marshall to replace the whimpy OT.

pentadil said:
I have blown 3 trannys on mine, I have not used an attenuator or mismatched impedance. My amp is on its way back to Marshall as we speak.

ouch is right......That was one of the symptoms when my second one blew.

(kadowski....I sent you an email)
Same experiencehere, massive drop in volume - off for a replacement tranny ..........

Gold Tone

So if anyone really wants one of these heads might be a good idea to get one soon and put in a Mercurey Magnetics O.T.

Marshall must be spending a lot of $$ on shipping, parts, labor...to continue to repair these. The number of posts here and in other forums is staggering really. They must be planning to either upgrade that spec or discontinue the model. They can't possibly continue like this!??!

kadowaki

I've heard good things about the Mercury Magnetics OTs.
Any referrals to a good tech to do the work in the Northern IL, Chicago area?