• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Which Stand won't ruin nitro?

Pearly Grapes

Help a new owner of a historic out;
What guitar stand(s) can I use that won't ruin the nitro finish?
Thanks!

PG

jb_abides

My solution is to buy a set of microfiber shop towels from any good auto parts store or Costco, and cut them length-wise into strips, and wrap the "touch" parts of any decent stand. Like wrapping with a gauze bandage, but better for the finish. ;)

holygrail

Les Paul Froum Member
I wouldn't trust any rubber against the Nitro.
Old cotton socks work well . I use that method .

I have to laugh when I see a $4000.00 guitar being
protected by an old pair of socks :2lol

bluesjuke

I put a cloth or a T Shirt over my stands & only use them when I have to.

Willie Mctell

I just use old stands. I never had a problem with my two "vintage" (lol) 80's guitar stands. They used that surgical rubber stuff and it aged into some harder dark amber and now nothing changes it. It doesn't, or hasn't messed with any nitro on any of my guitars old or new.

I do have one new stand that I wrapped in cheap leather I got at a pow-wow.

Stow

I just have a cheep Stag stand that I use with my Historic and I have never had any issues?

What happens if it reacts?

CR9

Microfiber over the rubber, or t-shirt material. A Gibson polish cloth also works well. I have one hanging on the wall with the Gibson cloth over the rubber with not damage in 3 years, plus the Gibson logo can bee seen. Wait, can I do that now with the "no advertising" policy?

BudBurst

Hercules makes several cool models of stands that use a black spongy material that
has no affect on nitro. Been using them with two Historics for 7 months now with
absolutely no damage.

PaulLaRue

I have an old stand with the surgical tubing. I simply gave it a good coat of shellac. Makes a great barrier and will not harm Lacquer. Shellac is a great sealer and bonds to most surfaces well. Stay away from synthetic fabrics, cotton is also a good choice (Bandana's, are cheap too).

phil47uk

XCG stands.. I have four. They have that black sponge stuff on them. Never effected any of my guitars as yet including my R0.
Phil.
xcg-guitar-stand.jpg

Willie Mctell

BMU - that looks like something you could take hunting. Shooting '59 rounds at the dear.;)

I might look into one, it does seem to work well.I'm not tryin' to flirt but... Nice lower bout :dude

BurstMeUp

Willie Mctell said:
BMU - that looks like something you could take hunting. Shooting '59 rounds at the dear ... I might look into one, it does seem to work well. I'm not tryin' to flirt but... Nice lower bout :dude
I have 5 of them, and they are excellent shirt hangars too! :biggrin:

jsmidt

+ 1 for the Hercules. Secure and nitro safe
I use the three guitar stand, GS432B, for my three players. I know, I know, don't leave your Gibbys on a stand. No small kids or animals anymore. The stand is in a corner WAY out of any traffic. I'm the only one who comes close.
It makes it very easy to use that spare 10 minutes for practice - which usually turns into 30 minutes.

From the Hercules web site -
"The AGS is covered with Specially Formulated Foam rubber that is designed not to react with your instrument's finish and has been tested as lacquer-safe."

HerculesStandweb.jpg

BurstMeUp

59_murphy_flame said:
BurstMeUp, What's the model number for the Hercules stand? Thanks in advance.
It's model number: "GS415B" ... Click HERE to read about it at their website.

ashbass

I went to a local thift store and spent $1.95 on an old leather purse. Cut it into strips and superglued the strips to my hangers and stands. Works just fine, looks classy, and didn't cost hardly anything.

hanger1.jpg

hanger2.jpg

BurstMeUp

ashbass said:
I went to a local thift store and spent $1.95 on an old leather purse.
Leather not withstanding, IMHO those "horseshoe" stands are notorious for guitars falling and sliding off/out of them when slightly bumped into, and pose an unnecessary risk ... but we all have owned them. I'm not talking cost here - JUST design.

modoc_333

one thing to be careful about when useing the hercules stands....... there is some plastic up there by the headstock. if you aren't careful you can chip the fragile nitro finish.
anything with the spongey material is good though. i use a warwick rockstand (7 guitar). you can also buy little furry covers for wall hangers called "hanger bras"