• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Collector's Choice #26 "Whitford 'Burst"

duaneflowers

cc26_zps821269e6.jpg

And I do believe it comes in Lemon... :eek:la

vintage58

As an experiment (and to highlight how sad this series is getting), Gibson Custom should advertise that exact guitar in the picture, but without ever saying which actual 'burst it's supposed to be. Under those circumstances, I'd love to see how many people would be able to figure out which one it is under those circumstances. At least with some of the other CC guitars, you at least have one or more visual clues or details to "go" on. But this guitar (going by the above pic, at least), for all intents and purposes, looks to be just — you guessed it — YET ANOTHER BORING, SKINNY-FLAME LEMONBURST LES PAUL REISSUE. I honestly do not mean to (repeatedly) be negative about these guitars, but come on....

vintage58

p.s...Main thing that occurs to me about these guitars is, with all the 'bursts in existence that have eye-popping tops — I mean the same 'bursts that threads are frequently started about in the Vintage Les Pauls section of this forum (for example, the Brock Burst, the Cathedral Burst, the Jeff Beck Burst, the Rick Neilsen Burst... basically, guitars that everyone has traditionally drooled over and that have big tops with a lot of color left in them) — anyway, with so many more "obvious" 'burst candidates like that to choose from — "THIS" (meaning the above guitar) is what Gibson Custom chooses to replicate as a CC? WTF? My advice to them is, pick better tops, or lower the price tags accordingly. The only decent idea they've yet had is a Donna CC, and they clearly seem to not be able to rise to that challenge. And this bullshit of charging two times as much (or more) for a CC with a decent top (like the Believer Burst) is ridiculous.

Triburst

Poon's picture definitely looks much better than the official ad!

:salude

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
p.s...Main thing that occurs to me about these guitars is, with all the 'bursts in existence that have eye-popping tops — I mean the same 'bursts that threads are frequently started about in the Vintage Les Pauls section of this forum (for example, the Brock Burst, the Cathedral Burst, the Jeff Beck Burst, the Rick Neilsen Burst... basically, guitars that everyone has traditionally drooled over and that have big tops with a lot of color left in them) — anyway, with so many more "obvious" 'burst candidates like that to choose from — "THIS" (meaning the above guitar) is what Gibson Custom chooses to replicate as a CC? WTF? My advice to them is, pick better tops, or lower the price tags accordingly. The only decent idea they've yet had is a Donna CC, and they clearly seem to not be able to rise to that challenge. And this bullshit of charging two times as much (or more) for a CC with a decent top (like the Believer Burst) is ridiculous.

This has been a big disappointment for 3 years. :dang

vintage58

This has been a big disappointment for 3 years. :dang
Well, Tom, I sincerely hope that if/when they finally come out with them, that the actual guitars themselves capture at least "some" of the inimitable visual greatness of the original. :salude

BurstHunter

Well, Tom, I sincerely hope that if/when they finally come out with them, that the actual guitars themselves capture at least "some" of the inimitable visual greatness of the original. :salude
Let's hope!!!!! :eek:la

mistersnappy

Maybe Gibson hasnt gotten permission/reached a deal with the owners of the aforementioned iconic Bursts?

GreenBurst

As an experiment (and to highlight how sad this series is getting), Gibson Custom should advertise that exact guitar in the picture, but without ever saying which actual 'burst it's supposed to be. Under those circumstances, I'd love to see how many people would be able to figure out which one it is under those circumstances. At least with some of the other CC guitars, you at least have one or more visual clues or details to "go" on. But this guitar (going by the above pic, at least), for all intents and purposes, looks to be just — you guessed it — YET ANOTHER BORING, SKINNY-FLAME LEMONBURST LES PAUL REISSUE. I honestly do not mean to (repeatedly) be negative about these guitars, but come on....

I hear you. But, keep in mind they are only going to make maybe 300 of these at most. There are 2000+ R9s made every year of which you should be able to satisfy your craving for big flame. And, at a more palatable price point.

I say let the people that are fans of these CCs have their day and enjoy something that appeals or speaks to them. Whether it's a Whitford Burst, or some other "lesser known to some people" LP.

Also, we have to give Gibson credit, they have an LP marketed for all price points (Epi, USA, CS, CC, Artist signed, etc). They are providing accessibility to all LP fans. That's good for everyone.

Last edited:

Axel

I'm sure some people (maybe about 250 or so) will find these 'inspiring'.

I hope they do.
Gibson could still call this a regular R9 and sell it for the price of a regular R9 (aged, or whatever). As a limited edition hey look at me guitar it's just meh.

Professortwang

Killer looking guitar! Photographing guitars is an art and one that I have not mastered I might add.

dbone15

They pop these runs out too quickly. You can barely take a breath and the next one is out. Takes away from the whole thing IMO.