• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Joe Bonamassa Skinnerburst

Fried okra

I'm curious to know thoughts on this one, because I am blown the hell away.:tri

Last edited:

cryptozoo

Meh. I just don't need to see another yellow Les Paul. The way Gibson "matches" tops in the CC run, this could be any of their other lemon CC models.

Beano Geno

The way Gibson "matches" tops in the CC run, this could be any of their other lemon CC models.

Unfortunately, I believe this is pretty much the case. Although the one in the ad does look very nice, differentiating it from other lemon CC models, and from other lemon R9s by looks alone is getting to be nearly impossible.

MikeSlub

Administrator
I think it's pretty cool. :)

And...Joe Bonamassa rocks! :dude: :hank

DoubleBoogie

All I can say is wow! :dude: I don't have a CC or a lemon burst, but that just might have to change with this one....assuming Gibson doesn't go brian dead when it comes to pricing them.

59tiger

proto is awesome, as is JB. I may be interested in a VOS but I do agree with others who say (and I am forced to agree) it's another faded lemonburst.....

GeetarGoul

Burstbucker #3 in the neck? Interesting. Custombucker in the bridge. After spending a lot of time playing my 13' R8 I'm thinking I love the Custombucker in the bridge of my guitar but not so much in the neck position (especially when playing clean through a Fender amp.).

Tomahawk90

<table id="post2528848" class="tborder" border="0" cellSpacing="0" cellPadding="6" width="100%" align="center"><tbody><tr vAlign="top"><td style="border-right-color: rgb(181, 164, 106); border-right-width: 1px; border-right-style: solid;" id="td_post_2528848" class="alt1">I love the Skinner burst and think it's a great representation of an amazing 59 coupled with the energy of Joe. I have an aged and signed one reserved. All of these I think look different, Redeye looks different then the Beast and different from Sandy and so on, and will definitley sound different. Joe on his forum said this prototype was the closest thing to his actual Skinner in looks and tone and he is out playing it live every night. I just need Joe to get to Nashville on April 26 pick the best tops and play his way through the bunch. The pictures are amazing and this guitar is a mere fraction of what it would take to own a 59.. I am all in!
<!-- / message --></td></tr><tr><td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px; border-style: none solid solid; border-color: currentColor rgb(181, 164, 106) rgb(181, 164, 106);" class="alt2">
user_offline.gif
</td><td style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px; border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: currentColor rgb(181, 164, 106) rgb(181, 164, 106) currentColor;" class="alt1" align="right"><!-- controls -->http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=2528848</td></tr></tbody></table>

tdarian

How will the neck carve be on this one? I don't have a CC or Lemon either so there is room to accommodate.

lpjunkie

Cool guitar, but very Groundhog Day around here with all of the unburst/lemonburst/dirty lemonburst etc. variations. They all look very similar. Gibson is wise, however, to choose guitars like this that are very easy to find tops for when compared to some of the wide, gullwing, and less common type flames. I do love a good lemonburst, though. It will probably fare better than "The Babe" burst, too.

MikeSlub

Administrator
Okay,I hear the complaints about yet "another" dirty lemon. So - the question is - what colors do folks expect? Original bursts today that are copied are either unfaded cherry sunburst, deep cherry sunburst, tea burst, or Lemonburst and all variations in between. What is Gibson supposed to do? I haven't seen any vintage Bursts that are blue, green, or purple. Maybe someone here has.... :hmm

JBLPplayer

Hey Fellas,
They did a very very good job on ole Skinner. There is big wear mark on the back that they didn't show in the advert. Look on burstseriallog 9-1951 and you see what I'm referring to. As I've played the prototype it feels more and more like the real guitar. There is no substitute for real abuse. So, you can never expect them to be 100 % exact, even in 59 Gibson never made the same guitar twice. Edwin and the cats in Nashville should be proud... They did a great job and overall they are building extremely nice stuff these days.

Joe B

GeetarGoul

Joe- Can you shed any light on the thinking behind your choice of pickups in this guitar? Congratulations on the project.

GG

tdarian

Joe told me it is very close to Principal Skinner. :hank

Ok, can someone give me the skinny on the Skinner neck? Depth @ 1st and a carve description would be helpful and usually my principal concern.

I'm liking this one, this, and Redeye too....making me warm up to these.

Thx.

Tim Plains

Nice top. I'm also sick of lemon bursts...have been for some time now. I don't think I will ever get sick of Heritage, Iced Tea, and Brockburst. Especially Brockburst.

I like what Gibson is doing with this CC program but what I don't like is how fast they are being rolled out. These should have been spread out over a much longer period and I think most of them will have poor resale after all 146 CC models are out. (exaggeration)

guitarmandp

Meh. I just don't need to see another yellow Les Paul. The way Gibson "matches" tops in the CC run, this could be any of their other lemon CC models.

Unfortunately, I believe this is pretty much the case. Although the one in the ad does look very nice, differentiating it from other lemon CC models, and from other lemon R9s by looks alone is getting to be nearly impossible.

Nobody is forcing you to buy this guitar. If you don't link the guitar, or think it's an overpriced POS, or a "repackaged" R9 then don't buy the guitar.

Don't ruin it though for the people that are big fans of the original and are looking to get a nice tribute to the replica.