• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

bent abr-1 posts

m bernardi

at g c i looked at Th r9 and the posts on it are bent bad on a 6000 ths dollar guitar? did sound good tho

TBR623

Not uncommon.That is the first item I check when I'm looking at any Historic Gibson.

R

R9.

bernardi, are you sure that the bridge just wasn't sitting properly?
My R9's posts are straight but the bridge was angled, making it looks like the posts were bent.
All I had to do was loosen the strings and give the bridge a nudge.

m bernardi

r9,no you can see the posts are drilled wrong. they were aii most on a 45. it is not uncommon but on a 50th r9 at 6000ths?

DANELECTRO

The post holes are drilled on a CNC machinging center with the guitar flat on its back in a fixture, so there's no way the holes are drilled at an angle. It's possible that somebody at GC dropped the guitar and bent them. Could be a good bargaining chip if the guitar seems like a good one otherwise.

Indiana Erick

I've seen ABR's on CS guitars that have actually been whacked into alignment with a hammer by someone at the factory.

Gold Tone

TM1

See the post called "Thanks Mapleflame"...

m bernardi

tm1, love the mapleflame mod but the holes are drilled wrong on a new 50th r9. so i put it back on the shelf

J.D.

You can't confirm 100% if they are drilled wrong or simply bent studs unless you physically remove the studs, at least part way :jim

m bernardi

jd,no bent posts. holes were drilled in proper like the ones in your old post [bridge late 06 r9 i personally witnessed the abr-1 studs pulled from this guitar and they were dead straight both of them the holes were drilled wrong ] sum times you can just tell

dege

Les Paul Froum Member
jd,no bent posts. holes were drilled in proper like the ones in your old post [bridge late 06 r9 i personally witnessed the abr-1 studs pulled from this guitar and they were dead straight both of them the holes were drilled wrong ] sum times you can just tell

Amazing that this is still happening at Gibson. :wow :wah

m bernardi

fixxer i love them to and i hate to say i seen this. i will see if i can get a pick

MRTONEMAN

Some 50's originals had leaning posts. Just look at some of the guitars in the Beauty of the Burst, where the owners put on "double-thumbwheels'' to help stop the lean. We want vintage accuracy, but then we complain about it's imperfections.:rofl

m bernardi

looking at the book i see 2 with ex wheels. most likely they bent from 50 and 60 ex heavy strings tail pieces to low and abr-1 to hight so the brass bent. on the Th r9 looked at you can the holes are drilled wrong

Gold Tone

Some 50's originals had leaning posts. Just look at some of the guitars in the Beauty of the Burst, where the owners put on "double-thumbwheels'' to help stop the lean. We want vintage accuracy, but then we complain about it's imperfections.:rofl

Yes but that is not what is being discussed here. The issue is incorrectly drilled holes NOTHING to do with leaning bridge or bent posts.