• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

serial number question

LeRoyB

I spotted a nice R8 on craigslist for a price that might be too good to be true. Mainly i'm wondering about the serial number, 6 digits starting with "8" but no space between it and the second number. It reads 801xx8, the x's I can't make out from the pics. All the numbers I've seen have a space after the 8, 9 or whatever, like the originals. Is this number legit? Maybe an earlier one? Thanks for your help.

djangolad

I'd say if you're already suspicious steer clear unless it's as cheap as a Hondo or something.

DANELECTRO

Sounds like a perfectly legitimate serial number.

On the Custom Shop reissues, the serial number format is as follows:

1st digit: The vintage year that the reissue is modeled after. ie "9"=1959, "8"=1958, and so on

2nd digit: The year the guitar was actually made. 4 = 2014 (or 2004, or 1994)

The next 3 or 4 digits are sequence numbers for the guitars made that year. For example; in 2014, "9 4033" would be the 33rd '59 reissue made in 2014. Once production reaches 1000 guitars for that given year, the serial number changes to 6 digits. For instance, the guitar pictured below "931334" was the 1334th '59 reissue made in 2003.

(Student raises hand) "But teacher, doesn't this mean that its possible for three different guitars made in 1994, 2004, and 2014 to all have the exact same serial number?"

"Yes Billy, that's true. However, the inlays of the 1994 will appear crackled, on the 2004 they will be swirly, and on the 2014 they will be streaky, so you can still easily identify what year the guitar was actually produced."

:## :## :##

Gibson started producing the Historic Reissues in 1993 using the numbering format explained above. On the tenth anniversary in 2003, the serial numbers reset and duplication of numbers began. I estimate that The Custom Shop produces somewhere around 3000-5000 Historic reissue Les Pauls every year. Each of these shares a serial number with a guitar built 10 (or 20) years earlier. I've always felt that a better system would have been to stamp two numbers on each guitar; the 1950's numbering format would be maintained on the back of the headstock for a vintage-correct appearance, but there would also be a unique serial number stamped inside the control cavity so that every guitar has its own identifier. The number format could be as simple as the same number on the headstock followed by the year. As it is, to determine the year a guitar was made you must have knowledge of the minute spec changes that have occurred over the years (inlay pattern, truss rod cover position, electronics, pickguard and control cover shape, etc).

Last edited:

johnreardon

I All the numbers I've seen have a space after the 8, 9 or whatever, like the originals. Is this number legit? Maybe an earlier one? Thanks for your help.
I asked Gibson a similar question regarding my R7 which has no space.

They replied:

The serial number of this guitar links in our database to a 1957 Les Paul Standard Reissue in Antique Gold finish with Nickel hardware, made by the Gibson Custom Shop in Nashville, Tennessee in 2004. It is not unusual that the serial number has no space between the first and the second digit.

DANELECTRO

It is not unusual that the serial number has no space between the first and the second digit.

In 2013 R9 production volumes reached into the 3000s, so over 2/3 of the '59 reissues built last year have six-digit/no-space serial numbers .

LeRoyB

Good info, thank you. I wasn't necessarily suspicious, just wanted to make sure I knew what i was getting. Appreciate the input.

duaneflowers

Just be prepared for those claiming that the extra digit might make it a bit top heavy... just saying... :spabout

Big Al

Just be prepared for those claiming that the extra digit might make it a bit top heavy... just saying... :spabout

Well, I always thought the extra mass of an extra ink digit contributed to enhance sustain in the critical headstock area.:laugh2:

LeRoyB

ah well, 3 emails and no reply. This one probably got away. Wish he'd take the ad down so I'd stop looking at it. I appreciate the serial number education. It'll help me in my search...

BIG Dave

ah well, 3 emails and no reply. This one probably got away. Wish he'd take the ad down so I'd stop looking at it. I appreciate the serial number education. It'll help me in my search...

That happens to me all the time. The emails go into the Junk folder, either yours or his. Check your Junk folder. If nothing is there, your emails may be sitting in his Junk folder.