• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Holly headstock veneer question?

entropydave

Hi,
any of you ewxperts can tell me f my Custom art & Historic LP Custom '54 BB has a holly headstock veneer and how can I tell? NAd indeed why do they put it in?!
TThanks in anticipation!

sonar

I played truth or dare with Holly Headstock when I was 13...

Oh wait, nevermind!

I'd check with the Historic district forum. They should be able to tell you.

reswot

It has one.

They use it because that's what they used to use on them. On the new production (= USA) models, they use fiberboard overlays.

BobV

When you remove the trussrod cover, sometimes you can see the edge of the headstock veneer around the trussrod access rout. If it is black all the way through, then it could be fiber. However if you can see lighter wood with black stain on the surface it's definitely holly wood veneer. Sometimes the stain goes all the way through so the only way to distinguish the holly is on an older guitar where the lacquer has shrunk and the wood grain starts to print through. It's subtle but it's part of the charm.

Anyway my understanding is that the Historics have had the holly veneer for years now. According to the Custom Administrator on the Gibson forum 8/31/2008, "There have been no spec changes to the R9 since 2003" (other than the VOS finish option). So I doubt they made any changes to the R4 Customs and yours would have holly.

By the way does anyone know when they started using the fiber headplates on production guitars?

reswot

By the way, USA does not use overlays. They use genuine Mother of Pearl Inlays.

Do fucking what?!?

Yes. They use a fiberboard OVERLAY with the MIP inlaid into the OVERLAY. This is glued to the mahogany headstock.

no1gibsonfan

Actually, USA uses bakelite veneers inlayed with genuine Mother of Pearl
that they laminate to the headstock.

Uncle Gary

That sounds about right. For a couple of years they inlaid a solid pearl block and used a stencil to paint the "gibson" logo. This saved them the cost of cutting the inlay in the "Gibson" shape, but ,of course, if the headstock was stripped and refinished, you lost the Gibson logo. I think it was right after that that they began using fiber headstock veneers. Gibson buys them pre-inlaid from Germany, I believe.

Gibsonian

That sounds about right. For a couple of years they inlaid a solid pearl block and used a stencil to paint the "gibson" logo. This saved them the cost of cutting the inlay in the "Gibson" shape, but ,of course, if the headstock was stripped and refinished, you lost the Gibson logo. I think it was right after that that they began using fiber headstock veneers. Gibson buys them pre-inlaid from Germany, I believe.

I’ve seen many late-60’s Gibsons with the painted logo partially peeled off, exposing part of the MOP block. I guess paint doesn’t grab onto the polished surface of the shell very well.

There were synthetic-fiber headstock overlays with the 70’s-style Gibson logo for sale on eBay. I bought some from a seller in Germany and they’re dead-on accurate to my eyes. Some sellers claim they’re leftover parts from the Kalamazoo plant (my seller didn’t.)